ZTR

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 25 posts - 2,851 through 2,875 (of 2,950 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: 2021 All star game and draft moved from Atlanta #157026
    ZTR
    Participant

    Paid - Annual

    I won’t spend another dime on MLB – will be foregoing the Extra Innings package this year. I will monitor the Cardinals through this site but will not watch a single inning until they quit taking political sides.

    in reply to: 2021 Cardinals MLB Game 3 thread – Sun 4/4 at Reds #157010
    ZTR
    Participant

    Paid - Annual

    Well, that didn’t go well but, as I like to say, you really won’t know what you’ve got until around the end of May.

    in reply to: 2021 All star game and draft moved from Atlanta #157009
    ZTR
    Participant

    Paid - Annual

    I do not want politics mixed in with my entertainment.

    Jackie Robinson was a helluva ball player = winning games.

    MLB seems to have no issues doing business with communist Cuba and China who’s human rights record = Nazi Germany.

    Moving the All-Star game is very, very disingenuous. Period. End of story.

    in reply to: 2021 Spring Training news #156540
    ZTR
    Participant

    Paid - Annual

    Maybe Carpenter is getting a 4-6 week ‘last chance for romance’ window based on his contract and his long, long history with the club.

    If he continues to hit as he has been then I expect him to get ‘injured’ and move from DL to DL for the rest of the season.

    I’d rather have someone else on the roster too but there are a lot of factors in play with Carpenter.

    in reply to: 2021 Spring training game thread #156462
    ZTR
    Participant

    Paid - Annual

    Probably won’t know what’s up until the end of May.

    I’d bet on 3-5 roster changes by then not counting any made due to injury.

    I think the defense will be about the same (very good), the pitching will be about the same, and the offense will be somewhat better (at least ML average).

    So, in the NL Central that should lead to challenging for, if not winning a somewhat average division.

    You never know but I would think that, on paper the NL Central will not produce wildcards this season – but, hell who can say in March?

    in reply to: Bader to miss at least four weeks #156381
    ZTR
    Participant

    Paid - Annual

    I hope Bader does not push this and try to come back too soon.

    That would likely lead to this becoming a season long ‘nagging’ injury…..

    in reply to: 2021 Spring Training news #156325
    ZTR
    Participant

    Paid - Annual

    I think Carp should get some lingering tendonitis this season but hang around with the team as an extra coach.

    in reply to: Make Your BOLD Predictions for the 2021 Cardinals HERE #156115
    ZTR
    Participant

    Paid - Annual

    Cards win the Central with 90 wins.

    The starting pitching is decimated by injuries as usual.

    A lot of personnel questions are answered in 2021 setting the 2022 marching orders for the front office.

    Bader hits just enough to stick.

    Cardinals win a playoff series and lose in the NLCS – 2022 will be their year.

    in reply to: 2021 Spring Training news #156113
    ZTR
    Participant

    Paid - Annual

    Carpenter has been a great Cardinal and I’d like to see him have a proper farewell.

    Maybe give him a month on the roster then he retires and finishes the year with an ‘injury’ but gets to stay with the team? Almost like having an extra coach?

    As for the outfield & rotation issues: give that 6 weeks to sort itself out with the current assets. After that they should know exactly what they need and could then look to acquire players from outside the organization.

    in reply to: 2021 Spring Training news #155672
    ZTR
    Participant

    Paid - Annual

    If these guys go get their work in and excel at AA and AAA then they WILL get their shot to prove whether they are major leaguers or AAAAers.

    in reply to: KK Kim Shut Down with Back Stiffness #155667
    ZTR
    Participant

    Paid - Annual

    I suppose this happens to a lot if other teams – I mainly just keep up with the Cardinals – but good grief it feels like we have THE most fragile pitching staff in the majors…..

    in reply to: 2021 Spring training game thread #155536
    ZTR
    Participant

    Paid - Annual

    I typically wait until the end of June before passing judgement on a team.

    It doesn’t always work but that number of games usually (not always) gives a pretty good idea of how the team is going to go.

    Also gives a good read on how the other teams in the division are going to perform.

    I’m hopeful that the Cardinals can win 90+ games this year because 2022 seems to be the target year for really flexing on the league.

    Id rather not even have Carpenter on the team as 2021 is the last see what we got year before making decisions for 2022. I’d rather every single one of his ABs go to someone else.

    Would love to see
    Molina really begin to be phased out as well. Not kicked to the curb but damn give the back ups 250 ABs so we know what we have (or don’t have).

    in reply to: 2021 Spring training game thread #155418
    ZTR
    Participant

    Paid - Annual

    Carpenter leading off? He did always seem to hit better from the 1 spot.

    I’m glad he’s getting plenty of chances now rather than waiting.

    If he’s really done then better to find out now and deal with it.

    Do the Cardinals have to either keep him on the ML roster or cut him and keep writing checks?

    Unless he agreed to it; no way to send him to Memphis is there?

    Maybe let him ‘retire’ and pay him to be an extra bench coach?

    in reply to: Miles Mikolas Pushed Back #155417
    ZTR
    Participant

    Paid - Annual

    Mikolas had one good year, got paid, then underperformed, then got injured and shelved.

    I suppose if the Cardinals had not been willing to pay him after the 18 win season another club would have and, at the time, letting him get away would have been roundly criticized.

    in reply to: 2021 Cardinals schedule #153860
    ZTR
    Participant

    Paid - Annual

    Its funny how, in general, people will support measures that do not impact them and be critical of those who don’t ‘go along’; then, when it’s their turn in the barrel (i.e. THEY will lose money) it becomes a totally different story.

    I guess the moral of the story is that it’s always easier to sacrifice someone else’s money.

    The entertainment and service industries have been crushed by the pandemic. Regarding baseball its the minor league players and maybe the young minimum salary major leaguers who have suffered. In the age of ‘using platforms to speak out’ did the players as a group support the service / entertainment industry during the enforced shutdown or are they primarily looking out for #1 when they demand a 162 game schedule?

    I would think that most of the baseball owners will be fine financially even with taking a haircut for a couple of years BUT I would absolutely expect them to ‘keep a weather eye’ on the revenue \ cost equation and make certain decisions based on the economics.

    Depending on the success of Covid-19 vaccines and the extension of limited attendance at games it will be interesting to watch how each side spins the news to justify supporting their position.

    in reply to: Fowler traded #153774
    ZTR
    Participant

    Paid - Annual

    I think the Cards are going to use 2021 to sort out what they need to do (or not do) to make 2022 really special.

    in reply to: Fowler traded #153773
    ZTR
    Participant

    Paid - Annual

    It took Ozzie Smith a very long time to become good at the plate…..but he did.

    in reply to: Fowler traded #153515
    ZTR
    Participant

    Paid - Annual

    Brian,

    This is what I think too.

    Puhols to DH next season, lol.

    in reply to: Yadier Molina Contract Extension?? #152952
    ZTR
    Participant

    Paid - Annual

    At this point Molina should pretty much sign whatever the Cardinals stick in front of him.

    He has to be set, set, set financially, he’s an icon in StL, Wainwright is back in the fold, and the team is finally in a position to contend again – from his standpoint; what’s not to like?

    in reply to: Nolan Arenado trade thread #152951
    ZTR
    Participant

    Paid - Annual

    Tinkers to Evers to Chance?

    in reply to: Yadier Molina Contract Extension?? #151929
    ZTR
    Participant

    Paid - Annual

    I’d like to see Molina back and finish up his career in a Cardinal uniform but the harsh reality of pandemic baseball does not seem to have permeated his brain; either that or he just doesn’t care.

    The uncertainty has created the strangest off-season I have ever seen.

    in reply to: Yadier Molina Contract Extension?? #147378
    ZTR
    Participant

    Paid - Annual

    I think 2021 will be better on the field if both Molina and Wainwright come back BUT I am almost certain 2022 will be better if they don’t play for the Cardinals in 2021 because the short term pain will allow the Cardinals to see what they have for depth and make better off season decisions after the 2021 season.

    in reply to: Cardinals’ Off-season Needs #147085
    ZTR
    Participant

    Paid - Annual

    Who are the most likely 4 & 5 hitters next year.

    I think Goldschmidt is fine; he just needs some protection so he doesn’t get pitched around so much.

    Maybe this will be the year Bader, O’Neil, and Thomas figure it out at the plate and they are the ones who explode.

    Would be nice to see it happen for StL instead of for other teams once the player has left StL.

    Question for Brian about a non-Cardinal player.

    Tyler Gentry’s family lived in my neighborhood for years. (His little brother is my son’s best friend).

    He’s an outfielder that played in the SEC at Alabama. The Royals drafted him in the 3rd round earlier this year.

    COVID really fouled up the minor leagues but based on his profile – he ‘projects’ to 20-25 hrs with average major league defense.

    Have you ever heard of him before now?

    Thank you.

    in reply to: Our Younger OFers #147082
    ZTR
    Participant

    Paid - Annual

    So it would seem.

    in reply to: Agreement on 2021 rules/salaries/service time/contracts #147007
    ZTR
    Participant

    Paid - Annual

    Interesting. I think some contraction at the major league level would do wonders for the quality of the product on the field.

    Don’t see it happening but each league contracting by 2 teams might open a few eyes around the league.

    They fight over millions for playing a game while most people live paycheck to paycheck or gov’t check to gov’t check.

    ESPN is laying off or not filling a total of 500 jobs.

    More and more people are ‘cutting the cord’ of cable / satellite tv and their bloated packages.

    The financial challenges we are seeing may not be as temporary as some would hope.

    As an off-sport example, my 2 sons and I went to see the USMNT (soccer) play 3 years ago.

    3 tickets = $300
    Parking $30
    Lunch at Stadium $60
    2 t-shirts $50

    (The cheapest tickets were around $50 each after fees and taxes)

Viewing 25 posts - 2,851 through 2,875 (of 2,950 total)

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 25 years