2021 Spring training game thread

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2021 Spring training game thread

Viewing 25 posts - 476 through 500 (of 506 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Yea Dejong is going to have to get it going or two of the outfield spots are going to have to be going. Personally I think he needs to be hitting 5 or 6. My thought is edman, carlson, goldy, arenado, oneil, Dejong, molina, last outfielder. I know they are thinking goldy at 2 but I don’t like that myself. If carlson struggles, you can slot someone else in and move him down if they are hitting better. But Dejong being one of the older guys needs to step up.

Participant

Paid - Annual

I noticed guys who have been sent out showing up in the box score. Gorman, Toerner.

Participant

Free

willie, I considered switching Molina and DeJong like you did.

bling, in spring training that happens a lot. They don’t have to call them up or make any move. They just come over from the minors camp.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Yea forsch, if bader was hitting 8 I’m probably putting Dejong before him but if not a real speed guy, probably molina thoughts always it just depends on how people are doing at the time. If Dejong doing what I feel he’s capable of, he’s higher but time will tell.

ZTRZTR
    Participant

Free

Probably won’t know what’s up until the end of May.

I’d bet on 3-5 roster changes by then not counting any made due to injury.

I think the defense will be about the same (very good), the pitching will be about the same, and the offense will be somewhat better (at least ML average).

So, in the NL Central that should lead to challenging for, if not winning a somewhat average division.

You never know but I would think that, on paper the NL Central will not produce wildcards this season – but, hell who can say in March?

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Sunday lineup:

Edman 2B
    Nogowski 1B
    Molina C
    Dean RF
    Carpenter 3B
    Rondón SS
    Thomas CF
    Heineman DH
    Hurst LF

Liberatore LHP

RatsbuddyRatsbuddy
    Participant

Free

You never know but I would think that, on paper the NL Central will not produce wildcards this season – but, hell who can say in March?

The Wild Card teams will come out of the NL East and NL West. It will either be Atlanta or New York as a wild card since one will win the division and the other will be a WC. Same with the Padres and the Dodgers – one will win the division and the other will be the WC.

The NL Central doesnt have much hope in the playoffs later this year.

r/Esteemed Rat

Participant

Several more days to get that offensive momentum going. 28th in OPS.

Participant

Paid - Annual

The lineup reminds me of playing scrabble when you first put your tiles in your rack however you happen to pick them up.

Participant

Free

What channel is the cardinal game on direct tv? Anybody?

Participant

Paid - Annual

Nogowski is something. He hits into a DP, driving in a run and advancing a runner to third who later scores on Molina’s single. The guy makes it happen somehow.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Nog drove in another one with a sac fly. He gets credited with an RBI on this one, but he has put two across the plate today with his bat, plus he advanced the runner that Molina then drove in. Somebody is probably recording his exit velocities and loft angles. And bat speed.

RatsbuddyRatsbuddy
    Participant

Free

What Cardinal pitcher(s) got lit up in the Washington 8th? They scored eight runs against our beloved Redbirds in the last of the 8th.

r/Esteemed Rat

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

What Cardinal pitcher(s) got lit up in the Washington 8th? They scored eight runs against our beloved Redbirds in the last of the 8th.

Parsons and Webb were the ones to get rocked.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Several more days to get that offensive momentum going. 28th in OPS.

Facing good pitching staffs in really good pitchers’ parks, it should be no surprise that the Cards didn’t light it up on the OPS front. Further, it is disingenuous to use stats from the high elevations of Arizona to compare to the Florida State League. You know this, but continue to push your flawed narrative.

All of the Cards’ home games and 1/4 of their “away” games were in one of the worst hitting environments in all of baseball. The Mets’ spring training facility is about average and I don’t know how the Nationals and Astros facility is, but the numbers don’t look good. I would bet that if we could do an OPS+ for the spring training stats, the Cards would be right around 100, or average.

Participant

Paid - Annual

About this time each year I start dreading that we will get off to a bad start. It means we will be listening to the marathon not sprint crowd until after the AS break. In baseball there never was a pig folks won’t try to put lipstick on. It has been that way for 50 years to my certain knowledge. Good luck to those heading north.

Participant

Paid - Annual

JV (Joey Votto) will be ready for opening day, Rat. The rust from his layoff was evident in his return to the Reds lineup this past Friday, but he’ll be good to go in a few days. Speaking of the Reds, Cincinnati native, Mike Bell, brother of David, son of Buddy and grandson of Gus, has passed away at the tender age of 46, due to kidney cancer.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Waino threw 26 pitches and only got two outs while allowing two runs. Cruz replaced him and gets the final out.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Arenado goes deep!! 2-1 Mets

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The Cards tied it on a Carp base hit, and most of the Cardinal pitchers were solid. Carlos gave up no hits and only one walk with two Ks in his three innings. Helsley gave up the tie breaking run in the 8th, however.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Sosa ties it up. This is partly why he is valuable. He has some pop in his bat. And also he is a slick fielder. If he would be claimed off of waivers, who would replace him? I like Rondon, but after there is a serious lack of minor league middle infield depth. Robertson and Mendoza are AAA depth.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Sosa states his case for the roster spot by swatting his first homer of the spring. The Cards spring training fittingly ends with another tie. On to the games that count!

RatsbuddyRatsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Arenado homered and Carpenter got a hit!

Mid-Season form!

Bring on the Pirates, I mean, the Padres..:)

r/Esteemed Rat

Participant

Paid - Annual

Good to see from Sosa. He seemed to relax after he made the club. I was there today and he seemed like a different player. He actually did hit a 3 run homer on backfields in a B game earlier in the spring.

Participant

OF: 0-9

Viewing 25 posts - 476 through 500 (of 506 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years