2021 Cardinals MLB Game 13 thread – Friday, April 16 at Phillies

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2021 Cardinals MLB Game 13 thread – Friday, April 16 at Phillies

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 82 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

6:05 p.m.
    RHP Carlos Martinez (0-2, 6.30) vs. LHP Matt Moore (0-0, 7.56)
    BSM // KMOX

Update: RHP Zach Eflin (0-0, 3.46) going for the Phillies, with Moore moved to Saturday.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

I wonder if this storm is going to impact games on the East Coast the next few days?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/weather/topstories/noreaster-to-wallop-northeast-with-cold-rain-and-april-snow/ar-BB1fGZFh?li=BBnbfcL

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Rats, the Philly games look like they will go on without a hitch. 60ish and partly or mostly sunny the next few days.

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Thomas sent down and Hurst brought up

wowza… pretty clear that defense and mentality come first as Hurst is pretty much a defensive player

Though i do worry Hurst being added means he will be dropped off when they want someone else…

yet to get a taste of the big leagues even if briefly is a dream

Still, I thought Nootbaar and Capel were just as ready as Hurst and they seem to have a better stick

Still…all the luck to Hurst, and i can’t wait to see him get some run

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Hurst will have an eye opening experience i think. Very limited AA experience and now MLB. Good luck to him.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Thomas really set himself back with an almost epically poor game on Wednesday. Surprised Hurst is the guy they are bringing in for him, but you know that the manager and coaches had to be fuming about the lack of effort Thomas showed.

I do give Thomas credit for the attempted catch on the dive early in the game. That one was probably more an error in judgement, although letting the ball get by him was ugly. Things just did not go well.

You just never know how guys will develop. The prospect lists always had Thomas above Arozarena. The Reds drafted Bernie Carbo ahead of Johnny Bench. The Angles drafted Randal Grichuk ahead of Mike Trout. Everybody drafted close to 400 players before the Cardinals took Albert Pujols.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Its hard to express alarm about the situation without seeming to throw shade on Hurst which I do not intend at all. Best of luck to him, but we really do have a problem at the upper level of our system if we have to bring up a guy with 149 AA ABs and split his last season playing between Palm Beach and Springfield. It is stunning to be honest.

1982 willie
    Participant

I agree there blingboy.

Cardinal in France
    Participant

Free

I hope there is a pearl hidden somewhere in that oyster.

14NyquisT
    Participant

thejager I thought Nootbaar and Capel were just as ready as Hurst and they seem to have a better stick

Since this will be a very short stint with O’Neill due back, I think the burning of an option might have determined this move. Nootbaar and Capel seem to have higher ceilings and are younger… why waste one of their options?

Danny Castano is starting for MIA tonight…. a 19th rd. pick for the Cards in ’16. He is another starter that we might have been able to use right now…. to go along with the other two starters we gave up to get Ozuna…. Alcantara and Gallen. Its no wonder that this team is have pitching problems and looking for SPs.

Ozuna is long gone and those pitchers are succeeding in MLB…. other disaster move by Mozeliak and Co. ….failure to assess talent.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I think this is being overthinked!

This spring Hurst had about as many at bats as Capel and Nootbaar combined. And Hurst played very well. It likely is no more complicated than that.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Speaking of the Cubs……Did Contreras shoot himself in the foot when he admitted the Cubs were throwing at the Brewers pitcher?

r/Esteemed Rat

bccran
    Participant

Nootbaar and Capel? Lol. Maybe Torres. Maybe.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Torres has never played a game above low Class A (and stumbled there back in 2019, demoted to Johnson City), was not in any camps last year and was not invited to 2021 spring training. So his odds of getting called up for immediate help with St. Louis are conservatively less than 1%.

It seems some are confusing prospect rankings with MLB readiness. They are very different.

bccran
    Participant

Just speaking long term, Brian. Not short term.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

1. Tommy Edman (S) RF
    2. Paul Goldschmidt (R) 1B
    3. Nolan Arenado (R) 3B
    4. Yadier Molina (R) C
    5. Matt Carpenter (L) 2B
    6. Paul DeJong (R) SS
    7. Dylan Carlson (S) CF
    8. Justin Williams (L) LF
    9. Carlos Martinez (R) P

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Surprised to see J. Rondon on taxi squad given that the 40 man is now full and he is not on it.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Shildt pregame comments:

Thomas is a good player. Had a good run in 2019 and would have been on playoff roster if not for broken hand. Slowed by COVID last year. Hurst may make his debut tonight.

Kim will be full go Saturday or they would not have activated him. Mikolas threw a very aggressive pen yesterday, his second. Creeping toward live BP.

Bader 10-14 days out from full activity, Throwing 120 feet and hitting off tee now.

Wearing Players Alliance shirt. All teams heard three minute video presentation to encourage giving. Shildt’s Baseball for Life charity in Charlotte received equipment donated by Players Alliance last year.

Roster decision for Kim tomorrow could be impacted by tonight’s game. They have a plan but will not share until tomorrow. Could go to 14 pitchers or stay with 13.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

blingboy said:

Surprised to see J. Rondon on taxi squad given that the 40 man is now full and he is not on it.

Look at it this way. The only position player in alternate camp who is on the 40-man roster is Thomas. Further, Rondon is the only non-catcher position player on the taxi squad. They need some protection, at least. Understand now?

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Look at it this way. The only position player in alternate camp who is on the 40-man roster is Thomas. Further, Rondon is the only non-catcher position player on the taxi squad. They need some protection, at least. Understand now?

Interpreted to mean its a cluster with no way out. Indeed.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

If you think the identity of the 13th position player is the determining factor of the team’s season, I guess the gloom and doom fits.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I say its more astonishment than gloom and doom. But I guess the taxi squad guy you can’t call up is nothing compared to the Palm Beach guy getting called up to the show. I have to admit, I am kind of on the edge of my seat waiting to see what happens next.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

The team also has two starting outfielders on the injured list who are taking up roster space. If the Cardinals need to add an infielder due to injury, they will find a way to do so. Not every glass is half empty.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Not that I hope anyone gets injured, but it would be fun to see what way to do so they came up with. A doozy I bet.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 82 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 25 years