Offense

Viewing 25 posts - 826 through 850 (of 1,010 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Free

Matt Carpenter has been in the majors for 11 years and has a career line of .266/.371/.457/.828. We should use him out there at 2nd while Edman plays OF. Carp wouldn’t cost us anything and gets on base better than Eaton and has more power. Problem solved.

Participant

Free

Come on, Forsch, you’re wasting time with this. The last full season, 2019 –

Eaton (born 12/88) – 151 games/.279/.365/.428/.793
    Carp (born 11/85) – 129 games/.226/.334/.392/.726

Participant

Free

That was 2 years ago. Eaton had a bad year last year and is 32 years old. Why take a chance on him? If you are going to make a trade, make it worthwhile. Otherwise, you are better off calling up Rondon and playing either Sosa or Rondon at 2B.

Why is it that you are always acting like you have been wronged or are talking down to posters? Just keep it simply baseball.

Participant

Free

I’m not being wronged or talking down to other posters, Forsch. Let’s try this fact on for size. Through 5 innings, the Cards have 2 hits and have struck out 9 times.
    Your comments?

Participant

Free

I’m not being wronged or talking down to other posters

Come on, Forsch, you’re wasting time with this.

Be careful, TexasCard and BB. 25 will start accusing you of polluting.

Carter – Careful with that comment about DeJong. You might be accused of pollution.

You make a good moderator

Everything in it’s proper place, Forsch.
    Right? Thanks for facilitating.

LACardFan -if you don’t recognize that the Achilles’ tendon of this team is the outfield, I can’t help you.

I didn’t even show all of them for the past week alone.

Participant

Free

OFers tonight – 0 for 7 with 5 strike outs.

Hey, Forsch. If you don’t care for what I post, why not just ignore my posts? Seem reasonable?

Participant

Free

Should have signed Adam Eaton.

Why I’m so glad bc is not our GM or Prez.

Participant

Free

Well, so cal, all I asked for in the off season was one experienced major league outfielder. A Brad Miller type, but for the outfield. Not to be a super star, but to play multiple positions and come off the bench as necessary. Of Mo’s Fab 5, we now have a youngster who is hurt, one that didn’t make the club, one that looks like a little leaguer against major league pitching, one who’s batting .150, and one who’s hitting .133.

If you want to berate me about about how I’d be as a GM, have at it. Be my guest.

Participant

Free

Bc, you look like a genius in thinking that young OFers might have trouble with Ks. But you will have to do better than Adam Eaton, especially with the benefit of hindsight after last week’s game. It was anguishing to watch.

I would also like to ask for consistency. You are consistent in berating OFers for their offense, so I’ll give you that.

But you are not consistant with your usage of small sample statistics: in Spring training, you were complaining about our offense after 14 innings. Innings, not games. OK, you can do what you want, it’s a free country. But what about after we scored 13 runs in the first 14 innings of the regular season? Did you apply the same analysis? Crickets….

For you, it seems that you think that the science of statistics is a playground used to make a shotgun sample of various statistics, to confirm all your biases. When you see something that fits your theory (poor offense) such as “only one run after 14 innings”, you will hype it ad nauseam. But when another snippet of data doesn’t fit your priors/biases, you are silent on it. This is called Confirmation Bias . Don’t worry, it is part of human nature, but it doesn’t have to be part of a good baseball forum thread on Offense.

To flit about from one bit of data to another, alway trying to prove your points, is boring and tedious. And what do you think it tells people about how you think of integrity of ideas while debating? You will win more confidence in your ideas and theories among your readership, if you demonstrate your integrity by reporting things that happen in real life that both support and fail to support your theories.

For example, 14 innings into Game 2, you could have said something like “I’m glad our offense is off to a good start, very encouraging. Remember that we only had 1 ER after 14 innings of Spring Training”.

When you demonstrate that your integrity in your writing matches your actual integrity (I’m sure you have integrity), then I will enjoy reading and engaging with your posts more.

Finally, when people try to give you honest advice, think about receiving it in the spirit intended (mine is well intentioned), rather than laying on a thick layer of dripping sarcasm, or becoming a martyr, as is your wont.

Glad you asked for my opinion.

ZTRZTR
    Participant

Free

Where is Roy Hobbs when you need him?

Participant

Free

Thank you, so cal. Always nice when a poster slices and dices another poster’s method of posting and offers highly valued advice.

My apologies for using Adam Eaton as an example of someone we should have signed. It was only an example. I could have used Joc Pederson. Or Kyle Schwarber. Or Michael Brantley. Or Jackie Bradley, Jr.
    You know, a proven major league left handed bat that many seem to think we need.

But I did indeed choose Adam Eaton because –

1.) In the full seasons of 2014-2019 he
    never had a BA lower than .279. He never had an OBP lower than .360. He never had an OPS lower than .763. There’s only one word to describe that – consistency.

2.) He had experienced the pressure of playing in the playoffs.

3.) When I read up on defense at FanGraphs, his metrics were outstanding.

4.) He was affordable.

Now, about your accusation of cherry picking. I did indeed leave out that he had a poor stub year in 2020, when he only played in 41 games. A lot of players had crazy years in that pandemic caused short season which were way off their norms. As a matter of fact, many posters on here have said that using 2020 was meaningless because it was so odd ball. Do you want to use Kris Bryant’s .206/.293/.351/.644 to judge him? As opposed to his performance in 2015-2019?
    Actually, IMHO so cal, if you use anyone’s stats in 2020 with all the craziness going on you might be the one who’s cherry picking. As opposed to their full year stats, year after year.

But I’ll leave you with this, so cal. You’re a bright baseball person who adds a lot to this forum. I respect that greatly, even though I may take a degree of issue with your recent judgmental comments about another poster.

Participant

Free

Cardinals R/G = 5.25. 12th overall in baseball.
    League average R/G = 4.75.

Participant

Free

I have no problem with the runs per game, Forsch. But sooner or later putting so much on Goldy and NA is going to even out as they go through luke warm spells. We need to get production from the OF and SS.
    At least average production.

Participant

Free

bccran

Well, so cal, all I asked for in the off season was one experienced major league outfielder.

I’m fairly certain one of the OFs you wanted the Cardinals to re-sign was Ozuna. He is currently hitting .143/.250/.143/.393 with a 44% K rate. Another was Joc Pederson with a line of .000/.125/.000/.125 and a 44% K rate. Jackie Bradley Jr is hitting .063/.063/.250/.313 with a ……. 44% K rate.

Participant

Free

@bccran – this is the third time I’ve seen this:

Of Mo’s Fab 5, we now have a youngster who is hurt, one that didn’t make the club,

So, in your opinion, baseball players never get hurt? Didn’t Fernando Tatis get hurt yesterday?

How many outfielders is a major league team supposed to carry on the 26 man roster? Which position players would you have cut so you can carry a fifth outfielder?

You wanna harp on batting averages after five games? Fine. I assume when you played baseball, you never had a slump, correct? I assume you always went 3-4 with at least one home run, correct?

Finally, we got rid of one veteran outfielder, to make room for the young outfielders. His OPS is .400.

Participant

Free

OFs end the game going 2 for 13 with 5 strikeouts (a 38% K rate), 1 HR and 2 runs scored. So they finished the game getting 2 hits in their last 6 ABs with no strikeouts.

Participant

Free

bccran

We need to get production from the OF and SS. At least average production.

Cardinals’ OPS by position:
    SS – .818 (8th in MLB)
    LF – .540 (19th)
    Cf – .796 (14th)
    RF – .105 (30th)

MLB average OPS by position:
    SS – .618
    LF – .685
    CF – .770
    RF – .713

So we are getting well above average production at 1 position. Slightly above average at 1 position. Extremely low production at 1 position. 1 below average.

Participant

Free

A typical 25 man roster in the past had 12 pitchers and 13 position players. Now it’s 13 and 13 pretty much. The 13 position players have typically had the following bench players, LACardFan –

1. Back up catcher
    2. Back up middle infielder
    3. Back up corner infielder with some pop off the bench
    4. Back up corner outfielder with some pop off the bench
    5. Back up versatile outfielder who has some speed and plays good defense.

The Cards have been so thin at OF that they played an infielder out there much of last year, and this year are even giving guys like journeymen Dean and Nagowski a shot off the bench.

Participant

Free

If the Cardinals really wanted to try to jump start things, send down either Williams or Dean and call up Rondon. Play Edman in CF, move Carlson to RF and play either Sosa or Rondon at 2B. The problem with this is that it creates a hard decision when Bader is ready to be activated. Once Rondon is called up, he can’t be sent back down. That means both Sosa and Rondon would have to be kept the rest of the year or risk losing one or the other.

The other choice is to insert Nogowski into one of the corner OF spots.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Making judgements about who played in 2020 and who did not suggests either a lack of knowledge which players were affected by COVID or an intent to gloss over the facts to support an assertion.

Speaking of fact checking, “journeyman” Austin Dean was drafted by Miami and traded to St. Louis. That criteria would make Nolan Arenado and Paul Goldschmidt journeymen, too. So I guess that is a good term…

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

forsch said:

The other choice is to insert Nogowski into one of the corner OF spots.

For some reason, they seem reluctant to move O’Neill out of left, but shifting him to right to give Nogowski a shot feels like the better offensive option right now.

Participant

Free

Brian –

Dean was drafted by the Marlins in 2012.
    Came to the Cards in 2020. You’re right, journeyman is probably not a good term for him. How about AAAA? He was given shots at the Marlins in 2018 and 2019 and stumbled pretty badly – aggregate .223/.268/.388/.656.
    Nagowski had one game in the majors coming into this season, with the Cards in 2020.

I’m all for guys like this being given a chance. But I sure wouldn’t compare them to an Adam Eaton type, whom I think the Cards missed on.

Participant

Free

There is no doubt that the Cardinals are stil feeling the effects of the over-long contract to Dex. We lost two good years that could have been used to winnow through the young’uns. Instead, most of the best of them got traded, but Carson was a good keeper. Mercado wasn’t a total loss, as we got a pretty good prospect in Jhon Torres. If you could put the three-year-future Torres in a time machine and bring him back to 2020 and 2021, you might be pleased to think that, along with Carson, we were doing a pretty good job of developing OF prospects.

The Arozarena loss hurts, but my local small-sample statistics cherry-picking guru tells me he is only slugging .294 in 2021. And Mo might still look like a genius if Liberatore develops into Carlton, and Rodriguez becomes Molina. But Rodriguez is still years away, and he’ll be taken in a Rule 5 draft by SD long before we decide to protect him, given Herrera and Julio, so even if Edgardo turns out to be good, he will only add fuel to the fire that some on our forum are roasting under Mo. I don’t think that Mo has fully gotten over the trauma induced by being forced to give/trade away prospects when our 40 man got so clogged with middling prospects – that seemed to be our specialty 3-5 years ago. But we did get Cabrera for Pham, and Gallegos for Voit, and they both make watching the 6th and 7th innings more pleasurable.

I am really encouraged by the giving-away of Dex, though I liked him, and he was the best of the worst. It’s not his fault that his agent was smarter than Mo. It gives me hope that Carp will either improve to be a Nogowski-like bat off the bench, or a Texas Ranger, by July. But I cannot bring myself to root against Nogowski, so the latter is more likely than the former. But man, Carp’s long flyout last night had a .680 xBA, and was a nice contact to the opposite field. Hope springs eternal.

All this to say: Give the Cardinals pieces a chance.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

There’s simply no way to make long term declarations about the direction of any part of the team after 5 games. I’d like to propose a moratorium on long term second guessing and griping about the players long term until at least June 1. In game complaints remain fair game, just no long term criticism til we have enough data to make some sort of data based statement. After that, have at it. What say you, bc?

Participant

Free

Okay, 25. In game observation –

1.) Because of the weakness of the OF,
    our starting second baseman had to play right field today.

2.) Our starting left fielder is 0 for 3
    with 2 Ks.

3.) Our starting center fielder is 0 for 3
    with 1 K.

Viewing 25 posts - 826 through 850 (of 1,010 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years