Forum Replies Created
-
AuthorPosts
-
Yeah, unless we are all in for a big surprise, 2021 is going to be a take your lumps year for the Cardinals probably covered over as much as possible by the Wainwright / Molina / Carpenter farewell tour.
To be fair, the Cardinals have essentially been a .500 baseball team since about the 2015 all-star break with two exceptions – the run right after Schildt took over and the last 5-6 weeks of 2019.
I really can’t say that the immediate future looks bright. The 2022 team will look nothing like the 2021 team but filling that many holes in the lineup and hitting on all of them is highly unlikely which means that the Cardinals will probably continue to be a deeply flawed team for at least three seasons while completely wasting the good years Goldscmidt has left.
If I were him I’d demand a trade because he will continue to get nothing to hit for the foreseeable future.
It does indeed feel like we are about to revisit the 70s.
Seems like the best way to herd the cats, lol.
It’s been a weird, weird, year all the way around. I don’t read too much into a small viewership decline.
Now, the product on the field hasn’t been really good since the first half of 2015 – so we’re pushing 5 years of not much better than .500 baseball.
Yes, a late Cards push / Cubs collapse last season led to a division crown but for all but about the last 6 weeks of 2019 it was a .500 baseball team.
This year, yes they ‘made the playoffs’ at 30-28 but, that’s about a .500 baseball team.
I think years of .500 baseball. the bad contracts, etc are just starting to show a litle.
I had forgotten Mikolas had such a big contract. Wow – He had one good year got paid – followed that with an average year – then out injured and maybe never to return to even average form.
The Cards FO has really painted themselves into a corner with bad contracts.
Carpenter, Mikolas, Fowler – good grief….
Lotta work needed to overhaul this line up.
Can we get rid of Fowler and Carpenter or are they back next season? Those 2 are death to the offense.
The outfield can’t hit a lick either.
Molina can’t have much left in the tank.
Pitching should be ok but as fragile as the arms are I don’t feel comfortable trading any of it away. 1/2 the staff ends up hurt at one point or another.
I think there is probably just enough pitching to put together a good staff. With how injury prone pitchers seem to be you need 15-16 arms to get through a full season.
The line up however is just a disaster. I’d keep Goldschmidt, Dejong, Wong, and Carlson and then Molina for now although at his age how many games can he play and will he continue to produce?
Carpenter, Fowler, Bader – gotta go.
Goldschmidt is too easy to pitch around with no reliable protection behind him.
The line up really is a mess.
The division was clearly sub-par this year as evidenced by the 1-8 performance in the playoffs. All 4 teams make wild card round exits. That’s bad.
September 27, 2020 at 8:45 am in reply to: 2020 Cardinals Game #57 – Sat, Sept. 26 vs. Brewers #142100This team needs a new GM.
If not for the expanded playoffs they would be missing the playoffs 4 of 5 years.
That’s on the GM.
Mostly horrible trades for several years.
September 26, 2020 at 9:22 am in reply to: 2020 Cardinals Game #57 – Sat, Sept. 26 vs. Brewers #142001Gonna be tight right down to the wire. I think the Cards have to play the 2 games in Detroit ‘after the season’ for sure.
Having 3-4 guys in the line up hitting about .200 or below is a huge handicap – even a couple more average hitters in the lineup probably wins the division…..
If they can get into the post season tournament – anything can happen.
Without looking, with a couple of exceptions it feels like the Cardinals have been playing .500 baseball since the 2015 All-Star game.
The exceptions being Shildt’s first month after replacing Matheney and the final month of the season last year.
It just feels like they are mired in mediocrity.
Truly unfortunate.
September 8, 2020 at 7:54 am in reply to: 2020 Cardinals Game #34 – Tue, Sept. 8 vs. Twins Game 1 DH #139175Need all hands on deck today for sure.
A great, great Cardinal and yes, they really fleeced the Cubs with that trade, lol.
Holy smokes.
Save some for the next game boys.
I don’t mind them standing pat for now. They can see what they have and do some trading / reshuffling (pun intended) after the season.
Marte would seem to be a good fit….
Ok, I did see that but didn’t know who that would go to.
Brian,
I’ve looked and probably missed it.
Is there a PM feature for this users of this board?
Is like to communicate with you via PM if I may.
I am not opposed to anyone expressing their viewpoint. I just object to it bleeding over into the actual games; the workplace if you will and I don’t like to see the flag / national anthem disrespected.
The ability this nation affords people to have and express their thoughts and opinions is one of the things that makes it different from places like China and North Korea.
Wainwright put the team on his back yesterday. Hopefully it is the spark they needed to soldier on through this strange year.
I think a .500 record probably gets the Cards into the postseason tournament and as 2011 proved, anything can happen once a team is in.
I hope you read the post before you deleted it.
Again, I prefer my sports without politics for sure but; the players and the leagues are not giving us that choice.
ZTR
Hate to see that one get away.
Yep, it’s time for them to rip off an 8-2 record over the next 10 games.
Ok, there is 10 games done since they started playing again. Time to settle in and make a run at the Cubs.
Need to start grinding above .500.
One good hot streak like Cubs has to start the season would be real nice.
Stole one, lol
Makes up for the late meltdown agsinst the Cubs.
-
AuthorPosts
