2021 Cardinals MLB Game 12 thread – Wed, April 14 vs. Nats

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2021 Cardinals MLB Game 12 thread – Wed, April 14 vs. Nats

Viewing 23 posts - 26 through 48 (of 48 total)
  • Author
    Steve60
    Participant

Free

Sosa for SS! Please!

858booyah
    Participant

Free

Who are you cutting Thomas for? lol we have no one ready to come back from Injury.

I agree it appears he might not be what I thought and some others but It’s not like he’s had much in game action the past 12 months.

I wasn’t really joking last night about this teams inability to put together runs on a consistent basis the past 2-3 seasons and with Dejong stinking up the joint and most of the of being MIA it will be even tougher.

Onyxgem
    Participant

Free

Shock shock the Cards back to getting beat again but it will look good on the RS vs RA this series….

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Man, like what I see in Sosa on both sides. Smooth and effortless in the field, has gotten the bat on the ball on offense.

Not saying he is the answer, but I would play him for the rest of the month and see what things look like at that point. DeJong is just a mess right now, and has struggled for quite awhile.

CarolinaCardinal
    Participant

What are the chances we add an OF in the next month or so, not named Bader? Or I guess a middle infielder and Edman plays RF?

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Wow, ugly game. Really bad game for Thomas. Center fielder needs to take charge out there.

Cardinal in France
    Participant

Free

This is supposed to be the Big Leagues. What would McCarver say?

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

I like Edman a lot as a second baseman. Not so much as an outfielder. Great that he can fill in when there is a shortage. Not good to plan on him being your right fielder.

Steve60
    Participant

Free

Totally agree with bicyclemike
    We need to see way more of Sosa the rest of April, at least!

Steve60
    Participant

Free

If this team does not add some offensive punch I fear they will struggle to get to 500!

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

If Thomas does not get his head in the game he will be dfa’d once the other outfielders return. That was just bad. The type of thing where your high school coach would be chewing your a** when you came back to the dugout.

1982 willie
    Participant

Well we reverted back to form today I guess. Wasn’t able to watch but seemed like a bad day for thomas. But we still got zero runs so wouldn’t have mattered anyhow. I wish I could have seen how their pitcher did far as how he looked. The nats pitching was horrible yesterday, easy to hit that. I guess I’m just wondering if their pitching was greatly improved or we just didn’t hit.

bccran
    Participant

Wannabes.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

An ESPN article says Wainwright is the oldest active player in the NL and 4th oldest in MLB. I guess the AL has a few DHs older.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Yeah 82, Ross was real good for them. Great command and solid stuff. We just got over-matched, which seems to happen a lot.

Early returns, but I have not been impressed with Dean. Thomas was brutal today. I do not see either of those guys sticking once we get to full strength. Then again, if O’Neill does not pick it up he may be out as well. I imagine they give him this year, and send him packing if he still has not learned pitch selection. If the club is a buyer in late July Ty might be involved in a deal to bring in someone more consistent.

Carpenter is actually squaring up some balls now and then and is looking better than I would have predicted. I would be playing him for now as a stop gap, even though I hate Edman in the outfield, and go with Williams at an outfield spot and Sosa at short over the next couple of weeks.

DeJong looks like a latter day Allen Craig. Solid hitter for a couple of years, but lost it somewhere. In fact, I can see him being moved in July as well if Sosa takes command at short, which I fully expect will happen if Shildt gives him the playing time.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Dean is a AAAA guy in his 10th pro season, no point kidding ourselves.

1982 willie
    Participant

I’ve never been on the dean band wagon though in absence of any other people stepping up, what do you do. I don’t know what’s up with thomas, maybe he is just what he is, a serviceable player. The bottom line is Dejong has to perform better consistently or we are going to struggle. To be honest while carlson has been up and down, I think he needs to hit higher, I’m saying fifth. I know a lot of people don’t like yadi hitting fourth but he’s been hitting with some pop and that’s what we need there over someone who is going to strike out a lot. Far as carpenter, my mind hasn’t changed. He’s always hit the ball hard when he hits it, you get that when you almost always pull the ball. To me he’s a bench player but I always said they were going to give him a full seasons of bats regardless of of what others said, sometimes you have to read between the lines of what these coaches say. Maybe if one of these you outfielders had really broke out maybe not but who really believed that would happen. There are lots of shortstops going to be free agents this off-season, maybe we can work out a deal to get one in a trade. Having arenado and goldy on the corners might keep one in town.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Carp is 35. Mid 30s is where guys who have been good just can’t do it any more. Some can hang on a couple more years and some can’t. He dropped off from 2018 to 2019 (when he was the same age Goldy is now). It doesn’t seem like there is any rational reason to expect he is going to magically rejuvenate somehow. Not in the post roid era at least.

ZTR
    Participant

Free

Certainly a whole lot more questions than answers so far but still early days.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Everyone is concerned about the offense but in case you haven’t noticed our rotation is currently a shambles. That has to stabilize in order for us to have a chance to win. This team is built on pitching and defense.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Here is the innings pitched by the starter for each game this year.

That isn’t good enough. It is killing our bullpen plus we are constantly playing from behind. The rotation has to stabilize.

colhusker
    Participant

Free

The fact that Edman is HAVING to fill in in the outfield tells us a lot about development in the system. Yikes.
    Agree gscottar, starting pitching is a mess right now. All those stud young arms we kept hearing about aren’t getting it done.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Agreed in that the starting pitching is the primary culprit in the Cardinals .500 mark. Tough blow to lose Hudson, Kim and Mikolas. Mikolas has not pitched well since his first season with us in ’18, so not sure how much he can be counted on.

With Woodford’s good Spring, why is he not being given a shot at starting? I image Oviedo will be given a look. Then next year Hudson will be back, most likely assuming Waino’s spot.

Viewing 23 posts - 26 through 48 (of 48 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 25 years