2021 Spring Training news

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2021 Spring Training news

Viewing 25 posts - 351 through 375 (of 448 total)
  • Author
    Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I still would like to see Williams move north with big club. He has earned a spot, and is left handed which the Cards bench is short on. Another factor is Carpenters struggles, and the fact that he is barely clinging to a roster spot.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The last week of camp will be very interesting as to who makes the team. Thomas, Williams, Nogowski, Dean, Rondon, and Sosa all still have a legit shot along with Whitley on the pitching side.

Ben Frederickson of the P-D stated that he thinks the Cards will go with 13 pitchers and 13 position players.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Mo Wednesday remarks:

Williams granted fourth option today. No roster decisions yet.

Bader forearm flexor strain. Had PRP injection. Down 4-6 weeks. Will take two weeks off from baseball activity. Imaging was done. Ligament intact, no concern with it. Paletta felt PRP offered best chance of resolution.

Overall impressed with outfield. O’Neill had a really strong camp. Getting into comfortable zone with offense. Not having Bader in CF not great news, but is not all season. Williams also having nice camp. Carlson is comfortable in CF. Pretty seamless.

Still way to find ABs for Carpenter. Don’t draw too many conclusions (on at-bats and role). 162 games is a long time. Exit velo ok, hitting into tough luck.

Bader being out may help someone make the team who can play multiple positions.

Nogowski having an impressive camp. Good to see. Not overly surprised.

Hopeful to secure vaccine for players. Will have better idea of plan by end of next week. Will assess players’ willingness. Hope most of them take it. Mo will get his shots as soon as he can. Hope to get Tier 1 and 2 individuals in first wave. If others can be added, it would take a lot of stress off the season. Will have plan, but high probability they will leave FL without vaccines. Each state dependent. MLB hasn’t come up with direct solution. Missouri gov says all adults can get vaccine starting 4/9.

Didnt make bullpen moves in offseason because we had talent. Will be smart in how they are using Hicks. Will get a number of late-game opportunities.

Mikolas will throw a bullpen before leaving camp. Maybe not facing hitters until at alternate camp.

Kim is cleared. Next 8 days telling if he can break with team. Chance he will not be ready.

Rondon has had a really good camp. Very impressive. Taking very good at-bats. But Sosa out of options. Goal is to retain as many talented players as we can. (BW says, read between the lines.)

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Shildt Wednesday post-game:

Martinez loves to compete. Has own style. Distracts himself sometimes. Sinker and secondary pitches working.

Maddux slowed Hicks down after walk. First time in 9th in almost two years. His stuff was really special today too. 98-99 with late movement is pretty special. Controlled strike zone and mixed in slider.

Nogowski is headsy guy. See and knows game. Likes to play, competes well. Done everything possible he could to make the team. Made the plays today. Get it done kind of guy.

Williams had key hit late. Can’t ignore it. Got rally started yesterday. Drove in two to give insurance. Has done his part, especially recently.

Roster won’t be easy decision. Guys doing everything they can.

Bench players will be complement to the entire team. Fairly high versatility now, but gotta have a lot of skill coming off bench. Need to be ready to play and perform.

Ponce is starting Thursday.

With Bader out, Dylan and Lane most likely candidates. Feels O’Neill is in a good place in LF. Edman could play OF, too. Lane could be in center with Carlson in right. Not decided. Not putting pressure on Dylan or Lave to be the captain of the outfield.

On Carpenter, the science of the game is pretty amazing. 103 mph off the bat. Ball doesn’t carry out to RF.

Will play 2 pm B-Game Thursday vs. Marlins. Mostly guys who have already been sent out.

Really good chance that CMart will be third starter.

so_cal_cards_fan
    Participant

Free

Nogowski is pretty thick around the middle. Can he run? And somebody please tell the 2B ump not to block the view of the batter.

1982 willie
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Just read an interesting article on fansided about nogowski. It’s pretty interesting and a good read. I would love for him to make it but as long as carpenter is there, I don’t think he’s going to make the team unfortunately. Unless the Cardinals make the right decision and get rid of carpenter, the team is stuck with him. Heck just listening to shildt tells you carpenter is there to stay. Basically has 162 games to get his next hit. When he does that they will probably sign him to another high priced extension.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

We are going to end up with a bench of flyswatters. No power threat.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Based on performance this spring I would like to see Nogowski, Dean, and Rondon all make the team. I realize that is unlikely to happen due to other factors such as contracts, options, and defensive flexibility.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Exit velocity has never been too much of an issue for Williams. Unfortunately, he has hit a lot of really sharp grounders in his career. If he can swing to drive the ball in the air more, he could be a really good power bat. Hopefully he taps into that ability to hit the ball hard for the Cards this year.

1982 willie
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Exit velocity is a useless statistic in my opinion. Another one of those new stats that mean really nothing. It’s one of those things I get tired of play by play people talking about.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I am thinking exit velocity is not a valuable scouting tool for an MLB player. Perhaps when scouting a prospective draftee, or recently drafted, it would be more useful for comparison sake.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Shildt pregame Thursday:

KK in hard pencil to pitch 2-3 innings on Saturday 27th. Not sure if he will start or not. Gant to start on 28th Sunday after side on Friday.

Tomorrow Friday will be a lot of side sessions, little bit of offense. Get some strokes, fundamentals. Then get them out. (No game scheduled.)

In the B Game, Miller and Webb were only players in camp participating. Miller was in and around the zone, some plays not made behind him. Webb was efficient.

Roster decisions in next couple of days. Haven’t had taxi squad conversations yet.

Don’t need to see more of Moroff than consistency already seen. Big league guy. Multiple positions. Enough arm for left side. Switch hitter. Nice camp a little under the radar. Put himself in good spot.

Have heard nothing about late DH addition, but if it happened, it would cause them to go 14 pitchers and 12 hitters. No double switches and react accordingly.

Woodford really nice job building up innings. Threw two efficient innings yesterday and threw more on the side to reach his total. FB, slider working well together, curve improving. Has a chance to break with the team.

Will take full party north to Cincy. Guys to go alternate camp on 3rd/4th.

On foreign substances to increase spin rate. Yes, it is no doubt a problem. Clear advantage to guys using it. Proven to change trajectory of pitches. It is illegal. Glad MLB is looking to clean it up, but hard to do because some substances are clear. Confident we are in a pretty good place with our pitchers. It is real. Said “Agree” when asked if it could have as much or more impact as sign stealing.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Shildt postgame Thursday:

Competitive nature in dugout all the time. Always want to put together good at-bats, win every game. Have been competitive in all games this spring but one. Had tying run at plate in 9th. Don’t love seeing zeroes but saw a pretty good arm (in Jose Urquidy). Guys fighting until end. Dean and Eddie had good at-bats in 9th.

Ponce continuing working on how to stay in the present. Consistency in dealing when circumstances not going his way. Went into 5th with 3 runs not ideal, but gave us a chance. This is hard place to break into and hard place to stay. Once in, get a few breaks. Needs to stay present to limit damage. Needs to hone his stuff. Going to be a tightrope guy. Going to have some counts. Needs to be more economical with pitches. More around zone. His role is pretty clear but haven’t told him yet. Two starters aren’t going to start the season.

Helsley getting out of no out bases loaded jam was veteran way of competing. Didn’t bat an eye after Nogowski came home. Infield was in as they didn’t want to give up any more runs. Ball hit hard. Had to make quick decision. When in doubt, come home. Helsley had good stuff and trusted it. Tremendous job.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

1982 willie
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Well no real surprise far as who got cut. Gorman and liberatore aren’t ready though they aren’t far off.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Parsons had a very good camp. If he keeps it up he will be climbing the prospect charts quickly.

ZTR
    Participant

Free

I think Carp should get some lingering tendonitis this season but hang around with the team as an extra coach.

bccran
    Participant

Carp obviously has a sore arm, that’s affecting his hitting, like HB.

1982 willie
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Carp is just old and tired like some posters on here

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I saw a quote from Williams that he and Edman called it at the same time and he will call louder next time. This concerns me. My first hand knowledge is some 45 years old by now, but it used to be taught that the infielder never calls it. If two guys are yelling there is the chance they won’t hear each other as happened here. The infielder just goes for it until and unless he gets called off by the the outfielder. The outfielder is huffing and puffing and looking up and may well not be able to boom out the call real loud. The infielder needs to be listening as he goes out for it, not yelling out a call himself. This sort of thing loses games and gets people hurt. I cannot understand how and why they would not know what they are supposed to be doing out there. Maybe someone with more recent contact can say whether it is taught different now.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Don’t know but Williams has been hanging very close to Willie McGee and says he sees the game like Yadi. Basics on calling for flies would be an organizational matter. Sometimes guys get excited and try to do too much.

bccran
    Participant

Watch the personal insults, willie.
    I’m sure the moderators and BW would agree. They should step up and correct you, since it’s a continuing, multiple time offense.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Shildt Friday comments:

Jack (4 IP/65 pitches) to start Saturday. KK to follow starting a clean inning. Not going down path of making KK a long reliever. Getting him ready for rotation. Long season ahead.

Bader going down created opportunity for many including Williams. LHH chance for matchup or to come off the bench.

Oviedo did face other teams’ hitters in B games. Was simply a scheduling issue that he only got in one stadium game. Had a really good camp, but hard for media to evaluate. Got him built up to stay on a starter’s schedule vs a long relief role. Will help us log innings. Must have protection with 2 starters not ready for season.

Today was more of a pitchers day. Fair amount of side sessions, long toss. Talked with pitchers about substance rules. We play the game clear. Also shared MLB rules about color of gloves allowed in games. Position players had optional day. Some got lifting in, others worked on defense or hit.

Mikolas had extended catch today. Up to 120 feet. Good progress.

Offered condolences on the passing of Cardinals legacy individual Joe Cunningham.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I wouldn’t expect Williams to publicly say ‘I called him off its not my fault he was yelling instead of listening’.

Viewing 25 posts - 351 through 375 (of 448 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years