2021 Spring training game thread

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2021 Spring training game thread

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 506 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

We are going to have one game thread to include all 24 games in Florida this spring. For reference, the schedule is here:

St. Louis Cardinals Announce Revised 2021 Spring Training Schedule

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Game 1 will be on Sunday at 12:05 CT. At home against the Nationals. Jack Flaherty threw today and Sunday would be the fifth day since, though that is just my speculation. No announcement yet.

Same with TV, no announcement, though I highly suspect the spring opener will be on FOX Midwest.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Has the name officially changed to Bally Sports Midwest yet? Gonna be hard to not say Fox, going forward. Looking forward to seeing some live Cardinals baseball!

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

No, the name change hasn’t gone into effect yet. I agree. It will be weird.

1982 willie
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Hopefully the game will be one. I don’t watch a lot of spring games mainly because I work during most of them but I usually watch the first few I can just to get back in the swing of things.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Can’t wait for the game tomorrow.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Sunday pitchers after Flaherty: Gant, Cabrera, Reyes, Parsons, Jones, Gallegos.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Sunday spring training Game 1, Sunday, 2/28

1. Tommy Edman 2B,
    2. Matt Carpenter, DH,
    3. Paul Goldschmidt 1B,
    4. Nolan Arenado 3B,
    5. Paul DeJong SS,
    6. Yadier Molina C,
    7. Dylan Carlson RF,
    8. Tyler O’Neill LF,
    9. Harrison Bader CF;

RHP Jack Flaherty

Flaherty and Gant to pitch multiple innings today. Reyes to throw multiple innings next time out.

Today’s Umpires:
    P- Angel Hernandez,
    Bases – CB Bucknor & Lance Barksdale

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Probable Starting Pitcher on Tuesday, March 2 at Miami: RHP Adam Wainwright

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The outfield already hitting at the bottom of the lineup. Has that ever happened before? Have we discussed that at all? 😉

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Oh great, the first game of the year and who do we get for a homeplate umpire but ANGEL HERNANDEZ, the worst umpire in the game! And the 2nd worst umpire in the game, CB Bucknor.

I hope this isnt a sign of things to come.

r/Esteemed Rat

14NyquisT
    Participant

Judging from what I’ve read here, the two big questions to be answered on the field are regarding the offense.
    #1. What the heck the OF will look like when the camp breaks.
    #2. What can we expect from Carpenter.
    ….. and everything else is far behind.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Anyone planning on watching along and game threading it? I’m settled in for the rainy PA afternoon to hopefully get a first glimpse at our Redbirds for the year.

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Outside of Jack pitching looked good

All the starting OFers had a hit. Ean shut out of lead off. Yadi doing his single thing.

All the backups look like AAAA outside of Gorman and Knizner.

1 decent hit by Moroff.

Herrera gets clutch 2rbi error to tie it in the 9th

Offense looks behind pitching as usual. Starters behind relievers as usual.

I’m really not excited to watch Moroff Szczur Dean Nogowski get ABs. I’d rather see any prospect to be honest but I’d guess that taxi squad needs some competent expendables.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The site was down for the entire length of the game. Hopefully Brian has had some luck in finding a new hosting service.

Was a decent game to watch. Nothing much to take from it other than that it looks like Hernandez had a terrible grasp of the zone behind the plate. Good to see some fight at the end there.

grayssportsalmanacc
    Participant

Free

the obvious pitching headline is reyes and his 9 pitch inning, fastball and curve were look and he could locate.

Gant looked good also, was terrible squeezed by angel hernandez (surprise) but looked good.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The gang of 6 OF all played and got 5 of the 8 hits.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Wow….18! Sets a record, gang. Thank you…….thank you very much. My previous high in a 24 hour period for emails enquiring about PBP was 14, set on March 3rd of 2008. Not to worry, as I’ll be lodging a few frames here and there tuning up for the big opener. Our yearly game thread WFDD ( that’s “What’s For Din-Din” to the layman ) will commence with our April Fool’s Day opener in the Queen City. Play ball!

1982 willie
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Well flaherty didn’t look good at all but give him time. Overall I thought the pitching was fine even with angel hernandez back there. Why they still allow him to umpire I don’t know. Gant looked great I thought. Hitting was fine, some guys did some good things. Liked seeing bader go oppo. Same with carlson and edman. I didn’t like seeing them sending our backup catcher home on that one play cause last thing we need is an injury on the first day. A good start.

1982 willie
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I found it interesting in game where edmonds was talking about bader and him admitting he can’t play in like edmond could cause he struggles with going back on balls straight over him. I had already figured that but its pretty common for most outfielders actually. It’s where you can see the separation of someone like bader who is gold glove calibre from all time defensive center fielders like edmonds. It’s why I thought edmonds should have got more consideration for hall of fame. To me hitting is only half the game and personally I think it’s the weaker half when you are talking about a baseball player.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

My impressions from the first spring training game….

I thought Gant looked like he could join any rotation and win 15 games. Nice to have him for long relief. He wants to be a starting pitcher though, and IMO, he deserves the opportunity to start if he can keep it up all spring. I wonder if he could be trade bait.

Edman looks like he belongs. We may see some star power emerging from him in the months ahead.

O’Neill looks ready to take on an every day player role.

Then there’s Reyes ………….

1982 willie
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Yea mudville I kind of agree with you, I’m just not sure gant can throw 6 to 7 innings effectively consistently. Sure he can spot start but full time. My eyes and past experience tell me no but maybe we will see.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

To me hitting is only half the game and personally I think it’s the weaker half when you are talking about a baseball player.

At least up the middle.

The Cardinals need more offense up the middle because they don’t have established middle/top of the order corner outfielder. Maybe something will develop.

bccran
    Participant

Two takeaways –

1.) Last season, Bader hit well when he stopped all the shenanigans in between every pitch. Step up to the plate, see the ball, hit the ball. Today, he had different gloves on with much longer velcro straps that made it impossible to undo and redo between pitches. He reached for them several times and remembered he couldn’t do it. Someone who knows what they’re doing talked to him. Watch him next game.

2.) Hated to see them throw the shift at Gorman. That could mess him up and delay his progress. Can they do that at the minor league level?

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

bccran:

Hated to see them throw the shift at Gorman.

If he’s Matt Adams we might as well find out now.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 506 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years