Make Your BOLD Predictions for the 2021 Cardinals HERE

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Make Your BOLD Predictions for the 2021 Cardinals HERE

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 45 total)
  • Author
    stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

So, the start of the regular season is 10 days away! While we like to bicker over whether our outfield will be up to snuff or if we will have enough pitching, it’s time to put your name to some real picks!

We have done this the last couple of years, and it’s fun to look back at them after the year and see who looked brilliant and who was way off (usually most of us).

2020 Thread

2019 Thread

Now, this is not the place for safe, boring picks like “Goldy will lead the team in batting average” or “Harrison Bader will lead the Cardinals in lost hats.” We are looking for BOLD picks. So let’s hear them!!

Participant

Paid - Annual

1. Goldy and Arenado both finish top 10 in MVP voting.

2. Flaherty finishes top 5 in Cy Young voting.

3. Cards win the NLC by two games.

4. Lane Thomas is a starting OF before the all star break.

5. Either Carp or CMart will be released or traded before the end of the year.

Participant

Free

1) Carlson finishes 2nd for ROY

2) BP is best in the NL in ERA

3) TON hits 29 HR’s with a .229 BA

4) Cards add a SP at the ASB

5) Arenado struggles in the first third of the year, but puts up MVP caliber numbers the last 2/3

Participant

Carpenter will not be in St. Louis by Memorial Day

Nogowski will become the fifth OF.

CMart will be in the BP by May.

Edman will lead the team in Runs.

Thompson will get a good number of starts for the Cards.

Not so BOLD predictions. But the best I can do because my crystal ball is on the fritz right now.

Participant

Free

1) Bader’s constant fiddling with the velcro on his batting gloves creates huge muscle mass in his forearms and biceps, using Charles Atlas’s Dynamic Tension Method, allowing him to bat .262/.325/.577/.902, winning him a silver slugger award in CF.

2) Carpenter becomes a switch hitter, but he still has trouble with the shift. Then in May he starts switching L/R after each pitch, driving defenders to tears, as they scurry from side to side trying to catch up, distracting the pitchers, and drawing walks at a 19% rate and inducing a NL-leading 14% fielding error rate amongst defenders. He bats leadoff after the All Star game, batting only .199, with a .337 OBP, and becomes the NL leader in runs scored because of all the induced errors, but with only 12 rbis.

3) Edman has no regular position after April, but still amasses 680 plate appearances in 158 games, with over 200 innings at five different positions.

4) Nogowski gets a PH 3-run HR in game 7 of the NLCS off Kershaw, takings us to the WS.

Euro DandyEuro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Carpenter becomes a switch hitter, but he still has trouble with the shift. Then in May he starts switching L/R after each pitch

Way to be bold so cal, but that’s not enough. Carp needs to switch DURING the pitch, i.e., switch sides while the pitcher is in mid-delivery. BDW and Mo will love it because fans will pay big money to see that and evidently Carp needs to try something ultra-radical to keep a spot on the roster.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

My picks:

1. The Cardinal pitcher who gets the most Cy Young votes is…Alex Reyes.

2. Carlos Martinez leads the staff in wins and gets his 2022 option picked up.

3. Nolan Arenado is 5th on the team in OPS (after Goldy, O’Neill, Dejong and Carlson, in that order), while Austin Gomber leads the Rockies staff in ERA. Many fans blast Mo once again for trading away a star for a bust of a player.

4. Yadi finally plays less than 130 games in a non injury season. He plays 129.

5. The Cardinals make the playoffs by 1 game, and most fans will chalk it up to surviving a brutal September schedule (of the last 29 games the Cards play, they have 3 vs the Reds, 3 vs the Mets, 3 vs the Padres, 4 vs the Dodgers, 6 vs the Cubs and 10 vs the Brewers). In reality, the difference will be a game winning 2 run HR on Wednesday, May 5th against the Mets’ Edwin Diaz by one Matt Carpenter, his only homer of the year as the Cards win it 5-4. Carp will retire at the All Star break to spend more time on his ranch.

Participant

Free

1.) Cardinals will make the playoffs because of the depth of pitching and defense.

2.) Both Goldy and NA will be on the NL All Star Team.

3.) Carlson will be ROY.

4.) The Cards will add a proven outfielder between now the deadline to shore up the weakest part of the team.

Participant

Paid - Annual

2. Carlos Martinez leads the staff in wins and gets his 2022 option picked up.

That could end up being the boldest prediction of all. I hope you are right but he is certainly not trending in that direction. I would say there is a better chance he doesn’t finish the season with the team, or certainly not in the rotation.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

That could end up being the boldest prediction of all. I hope you are right but he is certainly not trending in that direction. I would say there is a better chance he doesn’t finish the season with the team, or certainly not in the rotation.

I think some of his struggle this spring has been familiarity of opponents. The encouraging thing to me was him hitting 98 mph in his 4th inning the 2nd to last time out. That tells me that he may be mostly healthy.

As for his option, I could see it for a few reasons. If the young guys look ready, he could be trade bait. His salary seems high, but it’s really not extreme if he’s looking normal. If not, the rotation could be really thin and the team will have the money to spend. A year deal at basically the QO wouldn’t crush the budget.

ZTRZTR
    Participant

Free

Cards win the Central with 90 wins.

The starting pitching is decimated by injuries as usual.

A lot of personnel questions are answered in 2021 setting the 2022 marching orders for the front office.

Bader hits just enough to stick.

Cardinals win a playoff series and lose in the NLCS – 2022 will be their year.

Participant

Paid - Annual

I think some of his struggle this spring has been familiarity of opponents. The encouraging thing to me was him hitting 98 mph in his 4th inning the 2nd to last time out. That tells me that he may be mostly healthy.

As for his option, I could see it for a few reasons. If the young guys look ready, he could be trade bait. His salary seems high, but it’s really not extreme if he’s looking normal. If not, the rotation could be really thin and the team will have the money to spend. A year deal at basically the QO wouldn’t crush the budget.

This is an incredibly important year for CMart’s career. He is literally going to pitch himself into or out of a lot of money. He is either going to fulfill your prediction or end up being Julio Teheran 2.0.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

This is an incredibly important year for CMart’s career. He is literally going to pitch himself into or out of a lot of money. He is either going to fulfill your prediction or end up being Julio Teheran 2.0.

I agree. I think of someone like Zack Wheeler, who had a similar career to Carlos really, only to pitch decently in 2019 and then get the huge deal from the Phillies. Carlson could make a few million the rest of his career or $100M. I’m rooting for him to justify the latter, but reality suggests the truth will lie somewhere in between.

bicyclemikebicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Call this a “glass half empty” forecast, with a heavy dose of sarcasm – not to be taken seriously in other words.

The Cardinals contend for the division, but are lead by young players Edman, O’Neill, Carlson, Knizner, Reyes, Cabrera, and Thompson. Vets Wainwright, Molina, Goldschmidt and Arenado all turn in disappointing seasons. Flaherty is the only player expected to produce who comes close to being what the club had hoped for, winning 14 games with 3.44 ERA.

A strong second half by Sosa, who replaces the struggling DeJong, also helps fuel a second half surge that gets the club to finish within 3 games of division winner Cincinnati, after being 14 games out in mid-August.

Austin Gomber harnesses his control and finishes 3rd in the NL Cy Young vote.

Gomber, Randy Arozarena, Zac Gallen and Sandy Alcantara all have better seasons than any Cardinal.

Matt Carpenter, released at the end of Spring training, signs with the Texas Rangers and slashes .277/.365/.471 as their DH. The numbers top both Goldschmidt and Arenado. On the flip side he strikes out 142 times, 3 less than Goldy and 14 less than Arenado.

Dexter Fowler’s 10th inning 2-run home run in game 162 gets the Angels into the post season, where they advance to the LCS before losing to Tony LaRussa’s powerhouse White Sox in 5 games.

The heavily favored White Sox square off against the surprising Cincinnati Reds in the World Series. In what people fear might be a repeat of 102 years ago, the Reds win the first two games while the Sox seem to be making bad plays on purpose. But the White Sox shed the comparison to their shamed 1919 fore-fathers and sweep the final four games.

Participant

Free

Carlson AND O’Neill are one and two in OPS by seasons end.

bicyclemikebicyclemike

Paid - Annual

And now a “glass half full” group of predictions.

The Cardinals win the division and advance to the World Series on the strength of their “MV5” offense that features the following quintet with .950+ OPS’: Nolan Arenado, Paul Goldschmidt, Tyler O’Neill, Paul DeJong, and Dylan Carlson.

Adam Wainwright’s 13-3 season features a no-hitter and 3.13 ERA.

Yadier Molina announces this is his final year during an injury plagued first half of the season. After the all-star break he proceeds to hit .333 while smashing 16 homers to finish the season at .287, 19 homers and catches every post season game, through the World Championship 8-3 victory over Tony LaRussa’s Chicago White Sox.

The club sets a new home run record with an incredible 288 long balls. This in a season when overall home runs came down for the first time in awhile.

Tommy Edman brings back visions of Whitey Ball with 44 stolen bases to go with 118 runs scored. After an error in the season opener that opened the way for a 5-4 loss, the club blowing a 3 run lead heading into the bottom of the ninth, he plays spectacular defense for the next two months, not getting error number two until June.

O’Neill becomes the first Cardinal in history to be in double figures and triple figures in the following categories: Double digits – singles, double, triples, homers, stolen bases, walks, outfield assists; Triple digits: – RBI, runs scored, strikeouts.

The Cardinals 104 wins are the most since 2004. 4’s become wild as Goldschmidt, O’Neill and Arenado all hit 44 home runs, to go with Edman’s 44 steals, and the Cardinals win the division by 14 games.

Predictions of a 4 game sweep in the Series to continue the symmetry prove a bit too optimistic, as the Redbirds bats are held silent in a couple of games, and the Series ends up going the full 7.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Cardinals go all season without anyone being ejected by Joe West, C.B. Bucknor or Angel Hernandez.

Participant

Free

Call this a “glass half empty” forecast, with a heavy dose of sarcasm – not to be taken seriously in other words.

It’s dangerous to even think these thoughts, let alone write them.

jj-cf-stljj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Carpenter will finish 2021 with a 110 ops+ or above.

jj-cf-stljj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Carp was a 79 last season so I’ll go with a 50% increase to 119 ops+ for 2021, to stay with the BOLD theme.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

That’s very bold, jj. If Carp manages that, we are gonna have a very fine offense.

RatsbuddyRatsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Arenado and Goldschmidt will put up similar offensive numbers. Around the following:

.285 average
    25 homeruns
    90 rbi’s

r/Esteemed Rat

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Rats, that seems more likely than it is BOLD. Got anything bolder than that?

RatsbuddyRatsbuddy
    Participant

Free

stlcard25 wrote:

Rats, that seems more likely than it is BOLD. Got anything bolder than that?

Ok stlcard25, hows about this for going boldly where no poster has gone before. Or at least out on a limb here.

Jordan Hicks leads the NL with 47 saves. He also posts a sub 2.00 ERA and has a WHIP of less than 1.00.

Justin Williams gets his chances early, makes the most of it, and cant be taken out of the lineup. He ends up winning the ROY Award with a .317 average, 18 homeruns, and 79 rbi’s.

And finally, Pugs is discovered by the Cardinals and is hired to replace Mike Shannon at the start of the 2022 season.

r/Esteemed Rat

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

There we go! Way to be BOLD, rats. When you are right about these, we will all be forced to acknowledge your true genius.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 45 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years