Anti-trust exemption

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Anti-trust exemption

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

There is some rumbling in Congress to remove the anti-trust exemption. Saw the story on the Fox news site this morning. Apparently is a response to moving the all star game. I had mentioned this subject in the all star game thread which is locked out now so mentioning it here.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

If people want to talk anti-trust, this thread will continue. But if it is turned into another political, name-calling mess, this thread will be shut down faster than the last one. It is up to you all…

ZTR
    Participant

Free

What exactly does the anti-trust exemption allow MLB to do that would dramatically change if they lost it?

I should probsbly know this but I don’t.

Would it be really, really bad if they lose it?

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

The following article provides good background detail. In its essence, it allows MLB teams to conspire in areas such as salaries, team territories and merchandising. These would not be legal for competitors to work together on in other US industries.

My take on if they lost the exemption, it would increase operating costs for owners, perhaps quite substantially. Players would likely benefit.

https://www.sportico.com/law/analysis/2021/mlb-antitrust-exemption-1234626810/

BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

For the reasons this bill was announced I don’t seeing it making the light of day in the current Congress.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Not getting any more political than necessary, but members of Congress might be hesitant to be seen as protecting a bunch of super rich millionaires by letting them keep the exemption.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

This issue has come up several times in the past. Members of Congress of both parties have tried to get rid of the exemption over the years depending on what the issue of the day was. The members trying to get rid of it now wouldn’t want to for other reasons which tells me this is totally political and has little to do with business.

I would be for it if it helped clean up this mess over TV rights. MLB needs to come into the 21st century on that.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

I have read some articles that have said while Judge Holmes was a terrific justice, he messed up on the MLB ruling in 1922. It was one of the few that he got wrong. And over the years MLB’s anti-trust exemption has slowly been trimmed back. With other professional sports leagues not having the same protection, it is only a matter of time before MLB loses it altogether.

This current attempt being driven by partisan politics likely will not go far. It will take the effort of a group who present only the facts and how the exemption is creating unfair advantages for certain parties, especially parties that already have a lot of power, for this to be truly heard in an independent manner and overturned.

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

It will take the effort of a group who present only the facts and how the exemption is creating unfair advantages for certain parties, especially parties that already have a lot of power, for this to be truly heard in an independent manner and overturned.

Most likely this is true, Mike. “Enemy of my enemy is my friend” comes to mind. Some who’d normally clamor to stick it to MLB won’t stand for it at this time.

Also, I’m not sure the players stand to be net gainers if the Sherman Act is fully applied. Getting a bigger proportion of the pie does not mean more pie if the pie shrinks, e.g., 50% of 10 < 45% of 12.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Good comments, Euro. I don’t think the players would gain a lot either if the exemption is retracted. They have already greatly benefitted when “ownership for life” was struck down.

Once MLB becomes beholden to federal oversight, it will be interesting to see what changes. The one thing I want to see done away with is the local blackout of television broadcasts on streaming services. I imagine that will go down in flames, in the interest of increased competition.

1964cards
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Bicyclemike, not sure that would be the case. The NFL has a black out policy and they do not have the exemption MLB has. The rule will probably stay, but MLB may have to amend their black out rule to better align with the NFL’s.

1982 willie
    Participant

I’m all for all these big companies like mlb or other tech giants losing protections and having to face the music for their actions. That’s basically what this is about.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

This current attempt being driven by partisan politics likely will not go far. It will take the effort of a group who present only the facts and how the exemption is creating unfair advantages for certain parties, especially parties that already have a lot of power, for this to be truly heard in an independent manner and overturned.

Well stated mike. If/when MLB loses their anti-trust exemption it should be because of unfair business practices, not because of political statements.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Well stated mike. If/when MLB loses their anti-trust exemption it should be because of unfair business practices, not because of political statements.

I agree. The danger to MLB owners is if it becomes bi-partisan at some point. I do not think that is out of the question.

ZTR
    Participant

Free

Interesting article.

I will say that MLB should probably not involve themselves in political issues of they do not want to be involved in political tug of wars.

Just play ball, stay in your lane, and take care of YOUR business.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Bicyclemike, not sure that would be the case. The NFL has a black out policy and they do not have the exemption MLB has. The rule will probably stay, but MLB may have to amend their black out rule to better align with the NFL’s.

I did not realize the NFL has a blackout policy. At least here in Denver we get the Broncos games every week, home and away, on the local over-the-air channels. If the game is on ESPN or NFL network, a local affiliate will air it.

Seems like they had something at one time that if the game was a sellout, the blackout was lifted. The Broncos sell out every home game, but we get the road games as well. Not sure about other markets though.

atripleshyofthecycle
    Participant

Free

The NFL has suspended its blackout policy since 2015. They do not blackout games.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

The big difference in this aspect of the comparison is that the NFL has exclusive national TV contracts, while individual MLB teams control the rights in their home markets.

1964cards
    Participant

Paid - Annual

ZTR, not sure I agree. Where would we be today if Branch Rickey and the Dodgers did not sign and promote Jackie Robinson to the major leagues? I would say that was a political issue that MLB took a stand on.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

The big difference in this aspect of the comparison is that the NFL has exclusive national TV contracts, while individual MLB teams control the rights in their home markets.

Which is a big advantage for large market teams over the smaller markets.

There is also a difference in the dynamics. Football is a once-a-week event that is perfect television entertainment. Baseball is a daily grind that does not work well on network television – not for every day airing that is.

atripleshyofthecycle
    Participant

Free

The biggest difference is that the NFL doesn’t do blackouts.

ZTR
    Participant

Free

Robinson was a hell of a player that helped his team win a ton of games.

That is a lot different than what is going on today.

grayssportsalmanacc
    Participant

Free

My .02$, the people with capital make the mlb, not the players, sorry but its true.

You can certainly argue some players are undervalued/paid, but this isnt US Steel. If you dont want to be involved with the mlb dont consume it, and let’s certainly not involve anyone in the cesspool that is DC.

That being said I feel far worse for the fans’ wallets than the players, and its not even close.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 25 years