Thomas out and Hurst in

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Thomas out and Hurst in

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 133 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Holy smokes. Wish the young man success. We will see what happens.

1982 willie
    Participant

Well seems rather odd but I wish him well.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Hurst can play CF, correct? That seems like the reason he’s getting the call, although there aren’t exactly a bunch of other options at this point for OFers.

Hopefully his big league debut is a successful one.

bccran
    Participant

5’10”, 175lbs. outfielder who slashed
    .191/.278/.277/.555 at Springfield in 2019. Go get em, Scott!

858booyah
    Participant

Free

Edman can’t play CF? lol

This is what it’s down to eh.

Can’t Williams play CF?

bccran
    Participant

Yep, 858, we’re down to a little guy who in 2019 had an OBP of .292 and OPS of .606 at Palm Beach and an OBP of .278 and OPS of .555 at Springfield. Has never played AAA.

Nigel T
    Participant

Paid - Three Months

This is the path we chose. This would be Hurst’s triple a year. Having seen him play quite a few times, I would regard him as superior to Thomas, Williams, and O’Neil in center. He is an Edman-type in that he is an impact bat from a big-time baseball school. He has seen pressure and always measured up. That is why he was such a high pick. Totally undervalued.

bccran
    Participant

If they call up this kid, and send Thomas down again, they aren’t happy with Thomas for some reason. Maybe it’s lack of motivation or effort, lapses in concentration, attitudinal, etc. Or maybe he’s hurting.

Something’s amiss.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

It would be reasonable for Aranado to be wondering what he got himself into. Hopefully Hurst at least will not bungle the defense. That has to be the thinking.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Perspective may be required.

Arenado left a team that is currently 3-9, and is coming off two seasons with winning marks of .388 and .437, respectively.

ZTR
    Participant

Free

Very odd move unless there is a minor injury to Thomas involved.

Hurst has done nothing at the plate – ever – to earn this call up.

It’s currently a clown show in StL right now BUT no one is running away with the division and not even 10% of the season has been played….

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Good luck to Hurst but I am surprised he got the call over Capel.

As for Thomas, I would be surprised if ever plays another game for the Cardinals again.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Maybe I am being overly optimistic but I still think our OF situation will improve as we go along. Getting Bader back will stabilize things, at least defensively. He and Carlson will play everyday. The other spot will eventually be O’Neill, Williams, or Dean. Of the three I actually like Dean the best right now. His defense is a little weak but I think he can provide the most consistent offense of the three. He may end up being like JMart was in his prime here.

What I don’t like is having Edman in the OF. He is much more valuable to this team at 2B in my opinion.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

It was clear to me that Hurst moved ahead of Capel this spring based on both appearances and results. Capel’s spring OPS was a dismal .333, while Hurst’s was 1.056. Though small samples, it is what they had to go on, as neither player was invited to the alternate camp last summer.

Not knowing the specifics of Thomas’ situation, I am not predicting he has worn out his welcome. For all we know, he is back on the taxi squad and with the team in Philly. But he clearly needs to alter his recent trajectory.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Since this will be a very short stint with O’Neill due back, I think the burning of an option might have determined this move. Nootbaar and Capel seem to have higher ceilings and are younger… why waste one of their options?

bccran
    Participant

Edman playing in the OF and Hurst now called up? What’s that expression?
    The writing was on the wall?

UncleDenny
    Participant

What has Hurst shown in his minor league career to warrant being added to 40 man? Not impressed except for a few of his AB’s this spring. Thomas has at least shown some power off bench in 2019 before injury. Needs to play.

bccran
    Participant

Go back to the outfield webinar during Winter Warm Up. Some fans were paying to watch. Thomas dropped off line
    half way thru without telling the moderator. Was it the sign of an attitudinal issue, or a personal emergency? You never know.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

A couple thoughts.

1) Any idea that we have better options than running Bader out there need to be re-thought about now that we have seen the alternatives.

2) From what I know, in his last game Thomas looked like he never played outfield before. I think some also say his effort/engagement was not what would be expected of a guy trying to make the most of his opportunity. He is in his 8th pro year and this is the 3rd season he has seen MLB experience. Enough already. If we want to see him as a AAAA guy to have on hand for fill in duty on the MLB roster, fine. He is theoretically CF capable, so fine. But hoping some more experience will make him an answer for the MLB outfield is a pipe dream. The same for the other 8,9, 10 year guys.

3) The writing on the wall might be coming into focus as to how the outfield experiment will end up. Bader will return and be in CF, Carlson will be at one corner, the other corner will be filled by Edman and the AAAA guy du jour, which looks like it will be O’Neill. After the AS break maybe something will develop.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

In the more good news department, although not news. The middle infield consists of Edman, DeJong, Carpenter and Sosa. We know the deal with Carp. Rejuvenation highly improbable. DeJong is looking very like he is continuing the downward trajectory that has been quite consistent since the high point in 2017. Perhaps it is accelerating or maybe he is in a slump, who knows, but a slump in the midst of a downward trajectory that is not accelerating is the high hope. Sosa is probably solid defensively and maybe can be an OK down in the order batter, but no assurance of that.

Edman may have to fill a slot in outfield rather regularly depending on how much drag Bader and/or O’Neill are creating being in the lineup. So two of the three others will be in there a lot. It is a very ugly situation developing if we can bring ourselves to think about the infield rather than the outfield.

bccran
    Participant

I hope Gorman is playing OF everyday during Sauget workouts.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Why would Gornan be playing OF in the minors? No reason to him down the defensive spectrum now. What if Arenado opts out? Carp won’t be back so maybe he plays 2B. OF help can easily be bought in the offseason or traded for at the deadline.

DsFan
    Participant

bccran, I’ve stated before check Gorman’s speed rating,too slow for the outfield. I do like his power! There is some good outfield speedsters in minors. Check it out.

bccran
    Participant

Gorman is the best bat we have in the minors right now. If Edman can learn to play RF, Gorman can learn to play LF. I doubt very seriously that NA will opt out.
    Especially when he gets a taste of a full Busch Stadium.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 133 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 25 years