2021 Cardinals MLB Game 12 thread – Wed, April 14 vs. Nats

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2021 Cardinals MLB Game 12 thread – Wed, April 14 vs. Nats

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 48 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

12:15 p.m.
    RHP Adam Wainwright (0-1, 8.22) vs. RHP Joe Ross (0-0, 0.00)
    BSM // KMOX // WIJR

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I like these early afternoon games. Would be a good time for Waino to get his regular season going and let us all feel a little better about a series win. Joe Ross has not been good for several years, so let’s hope the bats can score a few.

Also, this should be Yadi’s 2000th career game started at catcher. It’s likely that his day off yesterday was to set up the start with Waino today.

14NyquisT
    Participant

As the team continues through it’s schedule the criticism being doles out against the guys not producing will begin to have some meaning. IMO it could be that those players who have been cold out of the box is just that and a turnaround is still a sizable possibility. Look at Williams who has started to look more like a MLBer rather than the AAAAer as has been mentioned here. Flaherty shook off that first start and is looking very formidable as a #1 after getting his third start.

When we get to three weeks into the season opinions and projections will have more cred. A few Cardinals have been smothered with negative comments….. merited?…. still TBD in my mind.

IS Edman starting in the OF more a case of Shildt wanting to give a struggling over-priced player more ABs to breakout (ala Fowler) or rather our skipper not sold on Dean or Thomas as better options? Should Carp be starting over one of those two younger players who obviously need more playing time to be judged. Edman is going to start…. either at 2B or in the OF so lefty/righty opposing pitchers might be the determining motive. It will be interesting for me to see what plays out when O’Neill and Bader return.

Sorry to see Oviedo sent down for the mandatory 15 days. However the reasons given here and a couple of other outlets turns that decision into being perfectly reasonable. I wouldn’t be surprised if he has a much bigger impact then expected on the team this season.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I think overreacting after 11 games is a mistake. It usually takes about two months to really know what kind of team you have.

Well after 20 plus years of my local cable company showing every Cardinal game they have decided not to this year. They have Bally Sports on the channel lineup but they only show the Cards once or twice a week. The other nights they show the Royals, Rangers, or hockey. Of course MLBTV is no help since I am in the blackout region. I can emphathize with you other guys who have trouble getting all of the games. It is very frustrating.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

DeJong gets a breather. Carlson also takes a day off.

Edman 9
    Goldschmidt 3
    Arenado 5
    Molina 2
    Carpenter 4
    Williams 7
    Thomas 8
    Sosa 6
    Wainwright 1

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I’m glad to see Dejong get a little break. He looks abnormally out of sorts. Typically he has a hot start and then pitchers catch up to him.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

What did everyone think of the home plate umpire and his balls/strikes calls last night? It seemed really bad to me. I dont like it but at this point I almost think the electronic strike zone might be something good for the game.

And din-din today will be my weekly trip to the Gasthof, the Amish restaurant. Mashed potatoes, gravy, noodles, green beans, sweet potatoes, baked carrots, meatloaf, chicken, fish, roast beef. Maybe a bowl of chili since it’s on the cool side here in SW Indiana. And some Dutch Apple Pie and Cherry Cobbler for dessert. Along with a bowl of ice cream. Then bring home a banana cream pie also. Yum yum!

r/Esteemed Rat

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I think the umps have been lacking in a lot of the games this year. I mentioned that Flaherty threw 6 strikes in his one battle with Robles, and the ump called three of them balls. The electronic zone will hopefully be a part of the game in the next few years.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I contacted Bally Sports. They assured me that the majority of Cardinal games would be shown on my local cable outlet but there might be a few missed until the NBA and NHL seasons are over. I guess that is better than nothing.

Hopefully we get the W today. Waino needs to give us 7 innings.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Gscottar, I feel for you (and others who are being impacted by what feels like a greed-driven process of obtaining rights to games, on both sides). I’m glad that the only games I don’t get are the Pirates and Indians games here. Hopefully the stand alone package for games in the near future becomes a reality.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

stlcard25 wrote:

I think the umps have been lacking in a lot of the games this year. I mentioned that Flaherty threw 6 strikes in his one battle with Robles, and the ump called three of them balls. The electronic zone will hopefully be a part of the game in the next few years.

Yes, exactly! The homeplate umpire Lance Barksdale was missing pitches that were clearly in the zone. It was really pathetic. I was yelling at the TV during this pitiful display of calling balls and strikes by the homeplate ump. It was as bad as it gets.

And the umpire behind the plate last night in the Cincinnati/San Francisco game wasnt very good either. But nothing compared to Barksdale.

r/Esteemed Rat

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Good 1-2-3 for Waino. In addition, a nice little tribute to Yadi for his 2000th game caught. Congrats to Yadi.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

A Sosa sighting, good deal.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I see this ump has no grasp of the strike zone either.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Waino wiggles out of a jam…Ks Ross and Robles to preserve the 0-0 tie.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I like umpires with a bigger strike zone. It seems like pitchers get squeezed way too often. Especially if they want to speed the game up. And it keeps the fielders on their toes more.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Not a good inning for Lane Thomas…he misplayed the liner that allowed 2nd and 3rd with one out, then never takes the bat off his shoulder in striking out on a couple of fat sinkers and a low slider.

Cardinal in France
    Participant

Free

I’m arriving late, after finishing off my din-din of trout, simmered gently in butter, fresh peas and potato pancakes. Guess I haven’t missed anything, so I think I’ll profit between innings to make myself a chocolate sundae.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Zimmerman fights off everything Waino can throw at him and then takes him deep. 2-0 Nationals. Carlson or Bader probably would have caught that ball, as it barely made it out. Pitch count is now becoming a problem for Waino.

bccran
    Participant

Thomas is not a major leaguer.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Cy Ross is now mowing the lineup and now having a whole lot of trouble doing it. May take a quick strike to get this game tied up.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Thomas blows another play…turns a single into a run and a man on third. This game may already be out of hand unless Waino can keep Soto from scoring.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Josh Harrison should have been walked. Cardinal killer. No reason to pitch to him with such an important run on 3rd.

CarolinaCardinal
    Participant

Does Thomas get cut tonight or tomorrow?

Cardinal in France
    Participant

Free

I guess the offense is exhausted from yesterday.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 48 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 25 years