2021 Spring Training news

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2021 Spring Training news

Viewing 23 posts - 426 through 448 (of 448 total)
  • Author
    ZTRZTR
    Participant

Free

Maybe Carpenter is getting a 4-6 week ‘last chance for romance’ window based on his contract and his long, long history with the club.

If he continues to hit as he has been then I expect him to get ‘injured’ and move from DL to DL for the rest of the season.

I’d rather have someone else on the roster too but there are a lot of factors in play with Carpenter.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Mo Monday remarks:

Wish all players were healthy, but feels good about 26 players going north. Nogo and Dean deserved to make the team. Did so based on offense. Roster could change by Thursday, but feels pretty sure about 26.

CF hierarchy is Carlson, then Edman and O’Neill if necessary. Hoping Bader is back late April or early May.

Kim will likely miss 2-3 turns. Will be based on how he responds. Will throw again by this weekend.

Getting vaccinated is key to playing 162. Hoping to get vaccine for traveling party as soon as tonight. J&J to be administered in Cincy. No survey if anyone not willing, but hopes they all accept. Have two days before opener in case any adverse reaction. Alternate camp to be vaccinated by home opener. Minor leaguers will be next priority after MLB. Hope to have them done before they report to Memphis, Springfield, etc.

Biggest questions for team: What will we look like offensively and will we remain healthy?

Carp on team due to past history, track record. Hit ball hard, but hit where they (the defense) are. Underlying factors lead to optimism.

13-13 decision due to off days. Taxi squad is Elledge, Whitley, Sanchez, Rondon, Thomas.

Carlson in CF. Above average speed, good arm, instincts. Made us not to reshuffle deck as much.

Oviedo had good camp. Because off days and fewer games, regulars got more of total time. Oviedo is impressive talent. Will be successful MLB player at some point.

Thomas was good going right to left. Struggled on balls over heard. Still confident in him. But Nogo and Dean played really well. Season is long, roster will turn over. Will see everyone.

Alternate camp roster to be released later today. 20+ players.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Shildt Monday pre-game:

Today Waino and CMart will pitch 3 innings each. After will be Miller, Helsley and Gio.

Dean under the radar guy. Good springs this year and last. Similar to Nogo, can take quality ABs vs. any pitcher. Good energy, hard-nosed. Earned position.

Spring takeaway is confirmation of how team is dedicated to be great. Egoless and selfless for greater good.

Woodford had great spring. Need to have 1+ inning guys (except Hicks). Decision came down to he or Whitley, who earned his spot, too. Just not enough room.

Will respect individual right to not take vaccine, but excited about potential to play a compete season in front of fans and for country to open up.

Seeing version of O’Neill he is capable of being. Some guys take longer to take next step. Getting comfortable and consistent without getting complacent. Had great spring. Expect solid, really good season.

If DH added at last minute, will adapt without missing a beat.

Participant

I’d like to hear what others have to say about the pros and cons regarding how being a member of the taxi squad will effect each member’s lack of playing time and progression… especially when the Redbird’s season opens up. I have my own thoughts but would appreciate other viewpoints…. especially Brian’s.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Why is Cruz in already? I hope Waino is okay.

thejagerthejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

So will those who choose not to get vaccine be still required to test every day? Will the rest of the team still be tested as well? The Vaccine is not 100% effective and if not everyone on the team is vaccinated then i don’t see how any of this really matters to how the game is played. I guess it some people’s desires and right to possibly endanger others for their own personal need, but with that attitude nothign changes and no confidence in safety can be achieved.

I don’t see how disclosure of medical condition for testing and subsequent quarantine for COVID is somehow totally fine to these people, but getting a vaccine and/or disclosing your vaccination status is not.

So, Id Wainwright has Ebola he is allowed to not report it, not get it treated even if there was a way to mitigate it and hurt everyone around him with no consequences. Plus, no one is allowed to NOT let him play or not because he is sick or potentially sick. They can’t even force them to take a vaccine or medication to fix it.

Yet, they are all forced to take anti doping testing at any time and are booted out of the league if they do not comply with the negative tests. And all of that is for something that only endangers the stats and “fair play” of the game. Yet, for something that can literally kill it’s players, staff, and fans and is also an international epidemic, they can’t be forced to mitigate that risk?

They should all be vaccinated by rule or you should have proof of vaccination, recent infection, or negative test (from earlier that day) to be a player, staff, or in the stands as employee or fan of baseball. period.

Do that, and we can return to normal in baseball, don’t and more will die and get sick and the sport and economics and social help will suffer. Personal choice only should matter if that choice does not endanger others. By not being vaccinated or tested every day before you report to work, you are endangering other people.

I am happy the team is being vaccinated, but all it takes is one member to not for it to not matter and not change anything.

The players “individual right to not take the vaccine” is hypocritical as their “individual rights” don’t matter when it comes to so many other ailments and other requirements.

Stop trying to solve this issue with half measures. Make it a rule, get it done, and get back to “normal”. If you don’t like it, then find another league to play in or sport to watch in person that does not care about the well being of it’s members and fans.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Shouldn’t we wait to get upset until/unless someone actually turns down the vaccine?

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

To Ny’s questions about the taxi squad. First, some background.

The purpose is to have the best five MLB-ready players with the team on the road for immediate emergency backfill. They will take BP and remain on their regular throwing programs.

Of the five players, the four non-catchers return to the alternate site or Memphis when the MLB team is home. The next road trip, five other players could be substituted.

The Cardinals’ chosen mix is two relievers, a catcher, an infielder and an outfielder.

To the question as to whether this impacts a player’s development, my answer is probably not. Alternate camp is just scrimmages anyway. Maybe in May when the minor league season starts, a player might be better served to stay in Memphis rather than go on the taxi squad. But unless it is the same five guys all season long, rather than rotating others through, it may not matter. I guarantee you that if you ask any player, he will prefer to be with the MLB team in any role at any time vs. Triple-A.

Hope that helps…

Participant

Paid - Annual

I am happy for Nogo and Dean for making the team. They deserved it as did Rondon but we will probably see him soon enough.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Well forsch I understand your point as well as Brians. I just feel it’s disingenuous at best to talk about competing for spots when sosas spot was guaranteed. I mean he couldn’t do much worse. I already knew carpenter was making team so I only mentioned him in context. But it’s all good. ManAgement can only blame themselves if we don’t hit. I don’t want mo complaining about the players. They had a chance to put a better squad out there.

Participant

It’s a dichotomy to say that players compete and earn spots on the 26 man during ST based upon their stats, and at the same time say that ST statistics don’t mean anything.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

If only the world was as black and white as some try to make it…

Participant

Thanks Brian that helped me mucho, specially how the players feel about it.

thejagerthejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I read on the PD Shildt said he wasn’t sure they’d hit the 85% taken threshold that would allow them to loosen some COVID restrictions. Seems like that is more than one and indicative of this being an issue in the clubhouse as their personal decisions will impact the ability of the team to do everything from practice to changing to traveling to eating. All this selfishness so they can not take a vaccine that exists to help not hurt others and given them back their lifestyles and inch closer to normalcy.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

All this selfishness so they can not take a vaccine that exists to help not hurt others and given them back their lifestyles and inch closer to normalcy.

If only things could be so black and white. Suffice to say, the jury is not totally out on this vaccine and it’s not up to anyone to label anyone else as selfish for making a personal decision in their own best interest. Time may come when it’s apparent one way or another which route is the best, and then we can all make such judgments (if we are that type). I’ll leave it at that.

Participant

Paid - Annual

I don’t ST stats mean much of anything for veterans who have proven themselves and may be tinkering with changes but they can mean a lot to a youngster trying to impress the bosses to snag a spot.

Participant

Free

One thing to keep in mind is that Sosa went 5 for 15 with a walk and 2 strikeouts from March 13th through the end of spring training. During that same time, Rondon was 4 for 20 with 2 walks and 7 strikeouts. I know several have mentioned that how players perform in the last couple of weeks of spring training means more than what happens at the beginning. If that is true, then Sosa made a case for that spot over Rondon. I didn’t realize that they had performed that way until checking out their individual games.

Sosa ended spring training with a 10% K rate. Rondon ended with a little over 26% K rate.

Participant

Very good observation, Forsch.

Participant

Paid - Annual

I appreciate the observation, too, Forsch.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Sosa’s K rate in AAA has been about 20%, so that’s the floor on what we can expect in MLB. Rondon’s closer to 25%. Scanning their BBRef pages side by side, it looks like Sosa is the better hitter.

Participant

Team was 29th out of 30 in OPS this ST. Can they flip a switch and turn it on?

Participant

Paid - Annual

Team was 29th out of 30 in OPS this ST. Can they flip a switch and turn it on?

We were 26h in 2020, 21st in 2019, so will probably be down in lower half somewhere.

Participant

They’ve been trying to make moves to improve the offense over the past several years. Additions of Heyward, Ozuna, Goldschmidt, Arenado, etc. Hope the trend is upward this year. DeJong, O’Neill, and Carlson have to come through.

Viewing 23 posts - 426 through 448 (of 448 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years