2021 Cardinals MLB Game 15 thread – Sun, April 18 at Phillies

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2021 Cardinals MLB Game 15 thread – Sun, April 18 at Phillies

Viewing 20 posts - 51 through 70 (of 70 total)
  • Author
    Cardinal in France
    Participant

Free

And I’m doubtful Carlos is going to do anything consistently useful for us in the rotation either.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

25 fair enough, but I haven’t been high on Mikolas since he was down here with Texas. I don’t expect too much from him going forward. Kim has a chance to be serviceable but we need to see more to make that determination. the second half of this season will tell the tell. I agree on Ponce and Gant. Gant is however a very valuable bullpen arm. We have to get him back in that role.

I’m hopeful that Mikolas and Kim will at least show the ability to go past 5 innings. Both have been fairly good at that in their time in St Louis, truncated as it may be.

I agree that the Gant we have been able to deploy in relief is a weapon, and he should be there. Hopefully he gets that role back when Miles is pitching again.

Also, CiF, I’ve been a big supporter of Carlos but I’m about 1-2 more bad starts away from giving up as well. After he was pummeled early (somewhat not his fault, the defense did him dirty), he pitched better against the Phillies. He needs to realize that he has only so much time to prove he can start and that each wasted start due to lost focus is putting him that much closer to being out of St Louis this winter, if not before.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I too am done with hoping Carlos becomes reliable. Some kind of arm. But the whole package just doesn’t work. We have just had so many promising starters come along and all peter out for whatever reason. Usually arm breaking down related. When we do get one who doesn’t go off the cliff, like Lynn for example, we dump him as soon as we have to pay him. He starts 33 games in 2017 and we let him walk.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Today I’d call Gant our second best starter, so far this season. When they add Mikolas, he could be the 6th SP they are talking about, which leaves Gant in the rotation. Gant isn’t no world beater, but he looks pretty good at keeping us in the game. With a little run support he’d be looking even better.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Gant’s overall numbers make him look like the 2nd best guy right now, but he was averaging 6 walks per nine coming in and then walked 5 in 5 IP today. I think it’s an indicator that he’s just overmatched and trying to nibble the edges at 90-91 because he can’t throw his bullpen 95-97 right by guys. He’s battling and winning for the most part right now, but that won’t last forever.

K/BB right now in the rotation:

Waino: 2.80
    Jack: 2.67
    Carlos: 2.50
    Gant: 1.27
    Ponce: 0.43 (yuck)

No world beaters there, but we need guys above 2 to have any real shot of working out over a whole season unless they give up just about no hits.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I agree Gants K/BB is undesirable, but as far as going forward, I don’t know if the BB% will drop or not. It’s well above his norm so possibly it’s from expanding his pitch types that he didn’t need in the pen? I haven’t checked. From listening it seems like he’s living off the changeup.

I do like the GB%, the lack of HR% and not being down a handful of runs by the third inning.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Gant’s career walk rate is 4.5 per nine, with very little difference between starting and relieving. His Ks drop by a full one per nine as a starter, which is where things start getting a little murkier for him. It’s the sort of question that was hanging around Dakota Hudson…can a guy who doesn’t strike out many and walks a lot make it today, even as an elite groundball guy? Only Hudson sits 94+ as a starter and was making strides before his injury as opposed to Gant, who seems like he is what he is at this point. I’m ok with giving him a few more starts to get the rotation primed for the mid season and later but I think he’s the guy who should go to the pen when Mikolas is ready.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I have heard Shildt refer to a 6man rotation in the near future in pre-games. When Mikolas returns no-one would need to be sent to the pen unless they want to swap out Gant for Oviedo, to get Oviedo starts and Gant back to the pen.

Mrperkins
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I do not like Gant or Ponce in the rotation either. At least Gant has value in the pen. Even when Gant and Ponce are “efficient” they are nearing 100 pitches in 5 innings.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

pitches per IP in 2021 so far, through today.
    CMart 16.0
    Gant 18.2
    Wainwright 18.6
    Flaherty 19.0
    KK 22.7
    PDL 22.8

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Carlos the most efficient… who’d have thunk that? Lol. All of those guys pretty much need to get better, and I think most will. We need a stopper to give the pen a break.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Our rotation is actually making CMart look like he fits in!

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Carlos best start is 5 IP, 3 ER, which is Gants worst start by earned runs allowed (today).

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

At least the cubbies are getting it handed to them this evening at Wrigley, as they find themselves on the back end of a 13-3 pelting, compliments of Atlanta. Kyle Hendricks sets a cubs record by issuing four 1st inning taters. This dubious distinction has only occured nine times in mlb history, the first time in 1977 by A’s great, James Augustus Hunter….aka “Catfish” Hunter, who unfortunately passed away in 1999 at the rather tender age of 53 from Lou Gehrig’s Disease

ZTR
    Participant

Free

Carpenter is officially a waste of a roster spot at this point.

Surely they cannot keep running him out there much longer….

Sad ending to what was a really, really, really great Cardinal career.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

“Great” may be a bit of a stretch for a .265 career hitter with 153 lifetime dingers, ZTR. But he sure had a few regal campaigns for us. It’s kind of hard to believe he never had an 85 rbi season. Even Tommy Herr drove in 100….albeit with Vince Coleman running the bases in front of him. Wouldn’t Vince look good leading off for this 2021 club? Arenado would drive in 140.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

5 or 6 years straight of a super high OBP at the top of the order was pretty great.

so_cal_cards_fan
    Participant

Free

It’s kind of hard to believe he never had an 85 rbi season

Pugs you have super-high standards, befitting a Cardinals fan. But do you know how many batters in the NL had 80+ rbi while batting first, in the years 2013-2019? One batter, Charlie Blackmon, accomplished in two different years. During those seven years, Carp finished 1,1,2,2,3,4,and 14th (2019)(not in chronological order)
    NL rbi leaders while batting first. 2013

Yes he looks like toast now, especially if he is widening his zone. He can still barrel the ball, but he sure is striving.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I don’t think it would matter even if Jay, or someone else, was clearly something of an upgrade.

In my mind it is certain that after only 15 games Mo would have no intention of reducing the PAs available to the in house outfield candidates with an upgrade that would be slight and short term. Essentially replacing Fowler on the active roster.

The absence of Bader and O’Neill are temporary, and the sort of thing which would not have been unexpected. We are still early in the experiment I think.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

At least the cubbies are getting it handed to them this evening at Wrigley, as they find themselves on the back end of a 13-3 pelting, compliments of Atlanta.

That is last place Cubbies, for what it’s worth. Of course, the upstart Pirates are now nipping at the heels of our Cards for 3rd place as well. The poor (like we’d ever feel sorry for them) Cubbies struggling even more than we are with the bats.

Viewing 20 posts - 51 through 70 (of 70 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 25 years