Thomas out and Hurst in

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Thomas out and Hurst in

Viewing 8 posts - 126 through 133 (of 133 total)
  • Author
    ZTR
    Participant

Free

15/162 = 9.26%

All teams, probably including the ’27 Yankees, had a 15 game (10% of the season) stretch of 7-8 with very average hitting & pitching.

No, I’m not comparing the current Cardinal team to ANY all-time great team, or even a solid playoff team at this point – that would not end well.

All I’m saying is that if the team can scrap and scramble and stay at or around .500 – then they will keep themselves in position to have enough players ‘figure it out’ and may be add a couple of guys at mid-season to shore up the line up.

I was guilty of throwing in the towel on the 2019 team in early August – they figured it out and made the playoffs – even got to the NLCS.

You just never know…

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Excellent point, ZTR. I specifically remember the 2004 team being like a game above .500 around Memorial Day. 2003 was a down year and even though the Cards had some great talent, it was the Cubs, not the Cards who looked to be the class of the Central at that point. Of course the team caught fire and the rest is history. Anything can happen.

Cardinal in France
    Participant

Free

At what point, precisely, are we no longer allowed to argue “It’s early yet?”

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

That is a good question CIF. Each year is a little different depending on our competition. The NLC is playing out pretty much like we figured though. A bunch of .500 caliber teams rolling around in the mud waiting to see who is going to be crowned the 85 win division champion. Based on that scenario it might be “early” all season but I usually give it to Memorial Day before hitting the panic button.

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

ONeill wasn’t hitting all tat well before he got hurt…and Bader wasnt hitting either… while i am hopeful for both of their offensive output, even if they both hit better is that really impact enough to make a difference?

Why not make a move NOW to get an OF hitter, and if we have too much offense from the outfield then that is an awesome problem t to have….waiting 2 months for Bader to come back and have time to prove he can or cant hit or the trade deadline could put us in a position where we can’t bring anything that will move the needle enough

Early moves are rare, but this team needs it now, we all know it and we knew it from about the 2nd week of Spring Training

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

CIF asked:

At what point, precisely, are we no longer allowed to argue “It’s early yet?”

That answer is going to vary by the individual, but for me, it is Memorial Day.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Jager said:

ONeill wasn’t hitting all tat well before he got hurt…

It all depends…
    Spring training 45 at-bats .938 OPS
    Regular season 28 at-bats .458 OPS

Early moves are rare, but…

That is because no teams are ready to give up on the season two or three weeks in. It takes two willing partners to trade. Just one won’t cut it. How many meaningful swaps are being made across MLB right now? (The answer is “none”.)

Patience…

TexasCard
    Participant

Free

All I’m saying is that if the team can scrap and scramble and stay at or around .500 – then they will keep themselves in position to have enough players ‘figure it out’ and may be add a couple of guys at mid-season to shore up the line up.

One saving grace is the Cardinals play their games for the most part against the NL Central and that allows them to stay in it for a while without doubt. So they should be within striking distance in the division and have a shot.

That answer is going to vary by the individual, but for me, it is Memorial Day.

I agree for the most part. I’d say Memorial Day to mid-June. At that point, a team should know where they stand in the division and league and be able to set up some moves heading into the trade deadline for the last 1/3 of the season. With all of that being said, my concern is are they (the Cardinals) with just making it into the playoffs or do they want to be a threat to win it going in? But I think most of us agree they will be in it over the next months or so but beyond that who knows.

Viewing 8 posts - 126 through 133 (of 133 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 25 years