How to best organize off-season discussion

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum How to best organize off-season discussion

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I am interested in everyone’s opinion on how to best organize winter topics. Right now, we have a catch-all thread that seems so broad with so many topics together that good comments are being missed. I don’t want to be too structured, but I sense we could split some of it up and have better discussion.

Some ideas off the top of my head:
    Payroll
    Free agents
    Trades
    ???

Sound off with your ideas…

Participant

Paid - Annual

We already have a thread for all of this in the “Trade Ideas/Acquisition Ideas” but few seem to ever want to use it. Maybe that yellow shading scares everyone away.

We could have separate threads for each of these topics but they all kind of go together don’t they? Tough call.

Participant

Free

Brian, I could see a general payroll thread, by itself, being useful. I could also see a thread about what free agents to target as also being useful. I think everything else could be under the off-season needs.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I’ve never been a fan of the giant threads covering more than one idea, for the reason you mentioned (easy for a thread/conversation to get lost in the discussions). I would go for one covering payroll and one Hot Stove thread. Then individual threads for big Cardinals related moves as they become rumored or happen.

jj-cf-stljj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I like how the “Offseason Needs” thread is a gathering place for everyone to sound off on their particular point of view, in general. I also like that it’s not specific, and allows for multiple team concerns and general opinions. Many times it’s that broadness that helps tie things together in a big picture way.

Player budget, and specific Cardinal Rumors / trades and acquisition is a legit reason for another thread to be started.

• This reply was modified 1 week, 5 days ago by jj-cf-stljj-cf-stl.
    thejagerthejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

i like blanket threads:

Trade ideas
    Free agent thoughts
    Payroll
    Management
    Rotation
    Lineup

Things like that

then other specific things will pop in as they come up

but the catch alls should give people with thoughts or a complaint a place to post

however, as we have experienced over the years, some people care about keeping it tidy and concise and others dont care

Participant

Paid - Annual

I’m thinking some sort of Hodge Podge thread to keep RatsBuddy & Co. content during the off season. A thread where this band of goof balls (said affectionately) can go to be amused.
    They can even include their winter din-din selections, so as not to have to wait until next Spring when our game threads resume. Kind of an “anything goes” thread, within reason.
    Just a thought……maybe not a good thought, but indeed a thought.

RatsbuddyRatsbuddy
    Participant

Free

I’m going to be content in the off-season Pugs. With at least one if not two St. Louis Strat-O-Matic Replays – 1971 first in honor of Brock and Gibson – along with Jasper Wildcats girls basketball, scouting boys basketball games on Friday and saturday nights, working on my pool game, and taking care of Whitey Herdog, all this will keep me occupied.

And I concur. Instead of a catch-all thread I’d like to see topic specific threads.

Din-Din today was a ribeye steak, Italian green beans, sliced potatoes in beef gravy, an Almond Joy bar along with a couple of Klondike bars. Tonight’s late supper as I watch the Padres/Dodgers game will be a tuna salad sandwich, chili, a piece of yellow layer cake with chocolate icing, another Klondike bar, and a cigar or two.

r/Esteemed Rat

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Thank you for the feedback. Aiming for the middle ground, here is what we will try:

New threads
    Player Payroll/Budget
    Management/Coaches

Use existing threads
    Trade Ideas
    Offseason Needs (general talk)

ZTRZTR
    Participant

Free

Seems like the best way to herd the cats, lol.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Maybe there should be one thread for free agents and a separate thread for trades.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years