Miles Mikolas Pushed Back

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Miles Mikolas Pushed Back

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Free

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbssports.com/fantasy/baseball/news/cardinals-miles-mikolas-sim-game-pushed-back/amp/

Not to be too concerned but how long does this have to go before they consider adding another pitcher from outside the organization? How long before the calls for Jake Odorizzi?

Participant

Free

Considering the Cardinals have Reyes, Gant and Oviedo, at a minimum, I don’t know they need to go outside the organization. That may not be the popular thought but I don’t think what’s left on the market is sure to be any better. I REALLY believe Reyes is ready to step up.

jj-cf-stljj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

How long? Seems you’re thread is starting the conversation so I’ll go with “It’s already begun”.

Participant

Free

The top free agent pitching options left may be Odorizzi, Porcello, and Cahill. Not a pitcher and not calling for his signing with the Cardinals, bit I’m a bit surprised Jackie Bradley Jr. is still on the market.

Participant

Free

JJ fair enough but I’m not saying they should do anything, yet at least.

Participant

Paid - Annual

I say give guys in the organization a shot. These other yahoos mentioned I’m not sold on.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Mikolas is scheduled to throw a pen Sunday.

Participant

Free

We’d have signed him if we weren’t so deep.

thejagerthejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Porcelain can’t possibly be crazy expensive. With Odorizzi gone I’d prefer a veteran to solidify the rotation or at least force more competition.

Mikolas wasn’t exactly amazing before his big injury.

I like that we have so many options. But this isn’t a COVID shortened season with extra players allowed and short 7inninf double headers. I don’t see a lot to be optimistic about after this push back and the first week’s performances.

Odorizzi got 2 plus option. Can’t be enough to put them over luxury which means no more than 13. That type of deal seems pretty reasonable for a team without stability in the rotation.

Participant

Free

Today’s planned session was delayed until Wednesday. Who wants to wager that side session will also be postponed? It’s becoming more clear by the day at a minimum Mikolas won’t be ready by opening day. Next up, whoever that ends up being.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Lets hope Flaherty is ready for opening day.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

If the Cards were feeling panicky about the rotation, I’m sure they’d be on the lookout for another starter. As fans we’d like some more certainty, but I suspect the front office will show their hand soon enough. If they aren’t signing a starter, they must feel the depth is good enough.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Worst case scenario is that Mikolas finally succumbs to TJ surgery, which would knock him out all of this year and half of next year. His contract could be entering the bust category soon like some others we have had recently.

Participant

Anyone who says they are not worried about the Card’s rotation is either lying or delusional.

Participant

Free

14NyquisT totally agree. I’d say we may see their plans by the weekend depending on Wednesday’s events.

ZTRZTR
    Participant

Free

Mikolas had one good year, got paid, then underperformed, then got injured and shelved.

I suppose if the Cardinals had not been willing to pay him after the 18 win season another club would have and, at the time, letting him get away would have been roundly criticized.

thejagerthejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I always felt that contract was given out too quick and for too long…i would be interested in seeing the stats on unfamiliar foreign pitchers (or those playing in a foreign country to success), that jump over and perform well in their first year only to fall off after that… I know it is not a 1 to 1 and there are outliers but Mikolas wouldn’t be the first pitcher to succeed immediately only to be adapted to in subsequent years…it happens for minor leaguers coming up too…and even in a game batting averages go up after each at bat right?

I am sorry, but we need to move on Porcello, Sanchez, Samradzja, Hamels, Godley, Cahill or just some veteran, I’d even kick the tires on Leake. Jack will play no matter whether he is as good as he can be, Waino will pitch until he is not effective…but after that what do we have? Kim was decent but hasnt showed the same so far, and his pen ability is still worth highlighting,Gant who hasnt been a starter in years, Ponce who has been in and out of the rotation to varying degrees of success, CMart who has been hurt, ineffective in the rotation to say the least, Alex Reyes hasnt started in years, Oviedo, Libertore, Woodford, Thompson, entirely unproven

If he now goes for TJ or something long, or even if he is just not good for another year) how is this not go down as a far worse contract handed out than Fowler or Carp or Cecil etc?

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Shoulder soreness continuing. To St. Louis for evaluation. Not going to be ready for start of season.

Participant

Free

Sounds like an opening for Reyes to seize. I hope he shows what he can do.

BTW, I am not worrying about the rotation, yet. CMart would have to have several more bad outings and Reyes would have to implode before I become worried. They still have Oviedo and Gant and Ponce de Leon to fall back on.

Participant

Free

Reyes is headed to the pen according to MLB.com’s Zachary Silver (via Twitter) and others, from MLB Trade Rumors. It is not shocking to hear the news on Mikolas. I suspect we will here next he is heading for the operating table and miss this season and some of next. As I said we should have a clear picture of how things will shake out with the rotation by the end of the weekend. I think they have to look outside the organization at this point and the pickings aren’t great.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Mo just said this morning that they were targeting Reyes for around 100 innings without a clear definition of role at this exact point. So he won’t be out there making every start but he could help fill some of the innings hole.

I’d like to see a flier on Hamels, who is probably the best of the group left out there.

Participant

Free

Hamels or Samardjiza someone who can eat innings at least.

Participant

Free

Mo hinted that he might switch Reyes from relief to starting, halfway through the years.

First half: 25 innings seems reasonable.
    2nd half: 75 innings, perhaps limiting him by pitch count or innings.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Hamels, Samardjia, or Porcello could be had on a one year deal most likely and we should explore it.

Hudson is already out, Mikolas can’t be counted on anytime soon, and Reyes is headed to the pen. In my opinion Gant will be more effective as a reliever. Woodford and Oviedo are still unproven at the MLB level while Liberatore, Thompson, and Rondon aren’t ready yet.

That leaves a rotation of Jack, Waino, Kim, CMart, and Ponce. Adding one of the aforementioned veterans wouldn’t be a bad idea.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Yep

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years