2021 Spring training game thread

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2021 Spring training game thread

Viewing 25 posts - 151 through 175 (of 506 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Cardinal in France, I am surprised he is not in there today. Have heard nothing about any problem. I wish Schildt would move Thomas’s hot bat up in the lineup though. He is reminding me of Matheney.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Bader out with forearm soreness.

Participant

Paid - Annual

A little salad being tossed at the Cardinals.

Participant

Free

Hope the offense is going to be better this year.

Participant

Paid - Annual

The top of the fifth should be discussed. Man on first, high fly to right center goes off the wall not too high up. First, Carlson had time to get back there if he’d have done it aggressively, until his hand touched the wall and then come in a step if necessary to make the catch in position to get off a throw. Like they teach it in the minors, or at least did. Instead he sort of jogged so that his momentum would have carried him into the wall. So he pulled up, in position to neither make the catch nor play it off the wall. Since it got by Carlson, Thomas fielded the rebound and bobbled it, then made a poor through to the cut off man. The runner scored from 1st and the batter on second.

Then a fly to medium right center. Bader came across and Carlson veered off. Bader made a sliding catch moving left to right which allowed the runner on second to tag and advance to third. Carlson could have made the catch, remaining on his feet and moving right to left, and runner almost certainly wouldn’t have tried to advance from second to third. Poor communication or poor situational awareness? I don’t know.

Spring training isn’t when you teach guys how to play and you can’t win playing like you’re a noob in the Midwest League. The announcers kept mentioning the wind. It seems to start blowing whenever its our guys out in the field trying to catch fly balls.

Participant

Paid - Annual

O’Neill with big fly!! 5-2 Cards.

Participant

Paid - Annual

I think Carlson and O’Neill are the ones who can take the offense from good to really good.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Well a decent game pitching wise. Our offense struggled a lot early, lots of strikeouts but we were facing good pitching. Nice blast by o’neill though it was probably wind aided. I’m not going to get too excited cause I’ve seen him hit quite a few spring training home runs. I liked libatores pitching and woodruff looked great. I think he can be a big piece this year.

Participant

Free

The saddest observation today is that Carp has probably had it. Same old story. Look for a perfect pitch to hit with 2 strikes on him and get called out with a ball on the corner. Then react like it was a bad call by the ump.

Participant

Paid - Annual

The eyes are the second thing to go cranny.

Participant

Free

Sad to watch, blingboy.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

2-2-2 Cards next play Monday noon CT vs. Miami. LHP Kwang Hyun Kim vs. TBA. Audio only.

RatsbuddyRatsbuddy
    Participant

Free

As a side note…..the 30 days 30 clubs on the MLB Network is previewing the Cardinals tomorrow, Monday, 8 March.

r/Esteemed Rat

Participant

Paid - Annual

I thought that first hit that O’Neill got was impressive. Nothing fancy. He reached down for a CB and just knocked it over the second baseman’s head. If he can do that with any kind of consistency, he’ll hit for average on top of the expected power.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Spring training is a good time to tinker and work on things in game action. It’s hard to put too much stock in what anyone is doing, but it is nice to see some guys having some success. I do think we will have a solid OF trio this year with some combo of O’Neill, Thomas, Bader and Carlson. It would be really nice to see O’Neill start to reach his potential with the bat, as you’d have to think he doesn’t have a lot of runway left as a starter if this year doesn’t go well.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Carlos Martinez to start Tuesday, Jack Flaherty to start Wednesday before Thursday break.

Andrew Miller to pitch today.

Participant

Free

Kim doing a lot of tinkering today.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The first two pitchers for the Cards today finished with ERAs of 21.00 and 20.25. Rough spring for Kim and Fernandez. Kim I’m not all that worried about, but Fernandez seems overly hittable for the type of stuff he has.

jj-cf-stljj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Is this the first time this ST that GoldenAdo has batted second and third?

Participant

Free

I believe I read that somewhere today, but I cannot find it.
    Do we win a special prize if we give up infield singles to every IFer today? All we have left is 1B!

Participant

Paid - Annual

O’neill hitting like a left fielder the last couple days.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Lineup at New York –
    Matt Carpenter, 2b;
    Nolan Gorman, 3b;
    Yadier Molina c;
    Austin Dean, lf;
    Justin Williams, rf;
    Andrew Knizner, dh;
    Edmundo Sosa, ss;
    Evan Mendoza 1b;
    Scott Hurst, cf;
    Carlos Martinez, rhp

Alex Reyes to pitch after Carlos.

ZTRZTR
    Participant

Free

Carpenter leading off? He did always seem to hit better from the 1 spot.

I’m glad he’s getting plenty of chances now rather than waiting.

If he’s really done then better to find out now and deal with it.

Do the Cardinals have to either keep him on the ML roster or cut him and keep writing checks?

Unless he agreed to it; no way to send him to Memphis is there?

Maybe let him ‘retire’ and pay him to be an extra bench coach?

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Wednesday pitchers. Flaherty in regular game. 10 am B game at Washington is Gant, Woodford and Hicks.

Viewing 25 posts - 151 through 175 (of 506 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years