Yadier Molina Contract Extension??

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Yadier Molina Contract Extension??

Viewing 25 posts - 526 through 550 (of 593 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Paid - Annual

We don’t have another catcher that’s ready. Bring our HOF catcher back.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

A simple matter of money… and maybe years…

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

From Bernie:

There’s been some speculation out there about the Anaheim Angels making a free-agent run for catcher Yadier Molina. But not so fast. New gossip: manager Joe Maddon is pushing for the Halos to acquire Cubs catcher Willson Contreras, if he’s available. The Angels do need a catcher; projected starter Max Stassi doesn’t hit, and he’s recovering from hip surgery.

https://www.scoopswithdannymac.com/bernie-bits-drew-lock-on-thin-ice-in-denver-plus-notes-on-cardinals-blues-watchability-joe-buck-busch-stadium/

Participant

Paid - Annual

I believe there are teams interested in Yadi. However, they may like Yadi for fewer dollars and fewer years than he thinks he is worth. If true, this will drag out the negotiations. I also believe Mo will continue to wait this out until he believes the market price has been set.

I would love to have Yadi back on a one-year, incentive based deal with a team option for a second year.

Participant

That would be a punch in the gut to Yadi since he has declared himself the best catcher in baseball and wants to be paid for that and he also wants two years. Listening to anything less than what he wants, especially from the Cardinals, just ain’t going to happen IMO. I doubt that he will sign with the Cards for less that his demands and return here with his tail between his legs…. not with his ego, pride and some delusional thoughts picked up from his family.

He is a god in his homeland…. that’s who he believes he is… that’s normal.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

More talk… Of returning, of going to the Angels, of retiring, etc…

Participant

Paid - Annual

Ahh the old retirement threat. The Molina crew is using every page of the playbook.

• This reply was modified 1 week, 3 days ago by Avatargscottar.
    Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

It is hard to keep track on that one. Previously at WWU, he said clearly (I was there) that he would retire if the Cardinals did not want him back for 2021. Then later, he changed his tune, saying he would play elsewhere if necessary and maybe for two years. Now, he is at a more middle ground – retiring if he doesn’t get a good offer. Though the context seems to be “not a good offer” from any team, not just the Cardinals. Only he knows what an acceptable offer would be… Goold tried to anchor it to McCann’s $10 MM per year, but I am not sure how valid that comp really is…

Participant

If these were normal times the Yankees would be happy to sign Yadi…. he would draw more fans to The Stadium than he does at Busch. Not even close.

Participant

Paid - Annual

As you suggested in your article it appears that both sides are trying to position themselves into a position where they can say it wasn’t their fault if a reunion doesn’t occur. Avoiding the fan backlash seems to be important.

What both sides don’t seem to realize is that their is a segment of the fanbase that doesn’t really care if there is a reunion or not. I would say a growing segment perhaps.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Ny, just curious why you think Molina at this point in his career would be a bigger draw anywhere outside of St. Louis. Seems to me that most baseball fans buy tickets to see homers hit, not watch a defensively-oriented catcher.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Most baseball fans buy tickets to see homers hit? Boy, I sure hope not. There’s much more to the game than that – pitching, defense, base running, etc. If home runs are the main reason for fan interest, the game is in deep trouble.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

It is surprising how much Yadi does not understand…

Participant

Paid - Annual

That’s really sad. He has empathy for people in his home country after a disaster (which is commendable), but he doesn’t understand thousands of small businesses going under, millions of people out of work, and a limited number of people that will be allowed into the stands this season?
    Somehow that doesn’t sync.

Participant

Brian, I sense that you know the answer to your own question.

NYC has a huge Puerto Rican community that love to follow their own. He more so than most would be revered as being a true homeland hero.

jj-cf-stljj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Maybe all five of these teams making “ridiculous” offers.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Ny, I do understand the point you are making, but I do not believe his homeland connection would translate into a measurable increase in revenue for the Yankees. I checked their 40-man and they have no Puerto Ricans currently. My take is if they had seen it as a real opportunity to make more money, getting a Puerto Rican standout would have been a priority for them before now.

Participant

Free

Yadier Molina, okay, I confess, he’s been my favorite for years. Got the jersey of course. I’ll miss him like I missed Ozzie retiring. With two of my all-time favorites passing; Brock and Gibson, it would just be another hit to my fandom. I hate the thought he doesn’t come back, I really do. However, change happens. Losing two of my boyhood heroes just reminded me that I’m old now.

Here’s the thing. We’re in a pandemic, which is devastating the world economy. Yadi’s is just being extremely greedy and it’s very disappointing. He’s made over hundreds of millions of dollars in his career. Does he really need that much more? NO!!! If he wants to finish his career with class, with dignity, then he should be signing a team-friendly deal to give back to the team and fans who have given him so much too.

His skills have diminished ever so slightly and so should his pay. He’s not the greatest anymore, his time has past. Stay and put the cherry on top of your career if you want Yadi, but don’t do it embarrassing yourself with foolish greed.

Participant

Paid - Annual

I’m guessing that any additional money spent above the MLB minimum is as out of pocket loss for many MLB teams. I’m guessing that that’s why they haven’t signed Yadi yet. If he would sign for $1 or $2 million, he would probably be brought back. But signing for a paltry $1 or $2 million would tarnish his image. Same goes for Wainwright.

Participant

Free

How does this affect our negotiations with Yadi?…The Athletic reported on Friday night that the Phillies made Realmuto a five-year offer worth “slightly north” of $100 million. It is well below Realmuto’s asking price at the end of last Spring Training — he hoped to land a $200 million deal — and possibly below the record average annual value for a catcher.

Participant

Paid - Three Months

The Kurt Suzuki deal should affect Yadi far more.

Participant

Paid - Annual

I don’t think they’re looking at fair market value. I think they’re looking at how much money they’re going to lose, and how to cut the loss any way they can. Why else would they let Brebbia walk away when that only saved about $250K? Probably because it’s the Owners’ own money, not the franchise’s money, and the Owners don’t want to personally feed the franchise a dollar more than they have to in order to keep it alive. Of course, that doesn’t apply to the big market ballclubs which have money to burn, literally. Regarding the Phillies, they might not be a big market ballclub, but they’ve been bragging about how much money they have to spend/throw away since before they signed Harper. Also, it looks like 2022 is going to be a strike season, and that is another loser for some clubs. No one knows what the state of MLB will be like after the ‘new normal’ following the next CBA. Then, there’s the condition of the US economy…..

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Nigel T said:

The Kurt Suzuki deal should affect Yadi far more.

Agreed – in at least two ways. $1.5 million is another example of the depressed market. Also, it removes the Angels from Molina’s potential landing list and they were one of the teams he had specifically mentioned.

It would be an interesting exercise to use other catching contracts to determine his current market value, then add on whatever his legacy bonus is. I bet it wouldn’t approach $10 MM. So, at what point does he feel disrespected and retire instead?

It feels like the Cardinals are winning the stall game, which is quite likely their strategy. Let “the declining market” be the bad guy…

ZTRZTR
    Participant

Free

I’d like to see Molina back and finish up his career in a Cardinal uniform but the harsh reality of pandemic baseball does not seem to have permeated his brain; either that or he just doesn’t care.

The uncertainty has created the strangest off-season I have ever seen.

jj-cf-stljj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The role these catchers are signed for is important too. Suzuki at 1.5mil is viewed as a bench / time share with Stassi.

Suzuki and Zunino were both 0.0 war by fangraphs last season, but Zunino was signed as a starter, and signed for 1/3mil, double of Suzuki.

Fangraphs has Yadi at 0.5 war, and Casali at 0.7 war (2020), but Casali is viewed as the backup to Posey and signed for 1.5mil

McCann signed for 4/40mil, as the NYM starter, but that’s usually a 2/22mil for a shorter duration like Yadi’s expected to receive. McCann just finished a 1.5 war season, three times Yadi’s 0.5 war.

I’d lean towards Zunino as Yadi’s closest comparable last season, and if a half-win is 4mil, Zunino’s contract puts Yadi in the 1/7mil range. Now add on legacy value…. imo.

Viewing 25 posts - 526 through 550 (of 593 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years