2021 Cardinals schedule

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2021 Cardinals schedule

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 69 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Opener April 1, 2021 vs. the Reds. Detailed team schedule coming…

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Good strategy to have next year’s schedule ready to be used to help convince 2020 ticket buyers to roll over their money to next year.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Cardinals Announce 2021 Regular Season Schedule
    Team to Open Season on April 1; Home Opener Set for Thursday, April 8 vs. Brewers

The St. Louis Cardinals, in conjunction with Major League Baseball’s league-wide release, today announced their 2021 regular season schedule. The home opener is set for Thursday, April 8, against Milwaukee as part of a six-game home stand with the Brewers (April 8, 10-11) and Washington (April 12-14).

The Cardinals will open the 2021 season on the road with a three-game series at Cincinnati beginning on Thursday, April 1, followed by a three-game series at Miami (April 5-7).

Among the key home dates for 2021 are a pair of three-game weekend series visits by the Chicago Cubs on May 21-23 and to conclude the regular season on October 1-3. The Cubs will also visit St. Louis for a four-game series July 19-22. Additionally, the game against the Milwaukee Brewers in St. Louis on Saturday, April 10, will mark the 15th anniversary of the first game played at Busch Stadium III (also against the Brewers).

The 2021 season will feature 26 home series and 26 road series, including 13 weekend series at Busch Stadium: April 8, 10-11 vs. Milwaukee, April 23-25 vs. Cincinnati, May 7-9 vs. Colorado, May 21-23 vs. Chicago Cubs, June 3-6 vs. Cincinnati, June 24-27 vs. Pittsburgh, July 16-18 vs. San Francisco, July 30-August 1 vs. Minnesota, August 6-8 vs. Kansas City, August 20-22 vs. Pittsburgh, September 10-12 vs. Cincinnati, September 17-19 vs. San Diego, and October 1-3 vs. Chicago Cubs.

The Cardinals 20-game interleague schedule will feature a pair of three-game home-and-home series with in-state rival Kansas City on consecutive weekends (August 6-8 at Busch Stadium & August 13-15 at Kansas City), marking the first time the Cardinals have hosted a three-game weekend series against the Royals since 2015. The interleague schedule also features a pair of two-game home-and-home series against the Cleveland Indians (June 8-9 at Busch Stadium & July 27-28 at Cleveland) and the Detroit Tigers (June 22-23 at Detroit & August 24-25 at Busch Stadium). Additionally, the Redbirds will host a three-game interleague series versus the Minnesota Twins (July 30-August 1) and travel to Chicago for a three-game interleague series against the White Sox (May 24-26).

The Cardinals are scheduled to play 41 of their 81 home games before the July 12-14 All Star Break, playing 13 home games in April, 12 in May, 16 in June, 9 in July, 15 in August, and 16 in September/October. The club is scheduled to host holiday games on Mother’s Day (May 9 vs. Colorado) and Labor Day (September 6 vs. Los Angeles Dodgers).

The Cardinals longest home stand of the 2021 consists of nine games (July 30-August 8) with three games against each of the Twins, Atlanta Braves, and Royals. Their longest road trip consists of two 10-game trips from May 24-June 2 and before the All-Star Break from July 1-11. The team has two stretches that will see them play 17 consecutive games without a day off from April 23-May 9 and May 21-June 6.

The Cardinals will make future announcements regarding game times, ticket pricing and ticket availability for the 2021 season. The complete 2021 regular season schedule can be viewed at cardinals.com/schedule.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

AL Central again for interleague…

ST. LOUIS CARDINALS 2021 HOME SCHEDULE
    April 8, 10-11 vs. Milwaukee
    April 12-14 vs. Washington
    April 23-25 vs. Cincinnati
    April 26-29 vs. Philadelphia
    May 3-6 vs. New York Mets
    May 7-9 vs. Colorado
    May 18-19 vs. Pittsburgh
    May 21-23 vs. Chicago Cubs
    June 3-6 vs. Cincinnati
    June 8-9 vs. Cleveland
    June 14-16 vs. Miami
    June 24-27 vs. Pittsburgh
    June 28-30 vs. Arizona
    July 16-18 vs. San Francisco
    July 19-22 vs. Chicago Cubs
    July 30-August 1 vs. Minnesota
    August 3-5 vs. Atlanta
    August 6-8 vs. Kansas City
    August 17-19 vs. Milwaukee
    August 20-22 vs. Pittsburgh
    August 24-25 vs. Detroit
    September 6-9 vs. Los Angeles Dodgers
    September 10-12 vs. Cincinnati
    September 17-19 vs. San Diego
    September 28-30 vs. Milwaukee
    October 1-3 vs. Chicago Cubs

THerr28
    Participant

Paid - Annual

thanks Brian.
    wow, BuschIII ten years old in 2021. Good year to win WS as we won it first year in the stadium.

first homestand a tough one…Brewers and Nats

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I feel like the Cards play at Cincinnati far too frequently to start the season.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

As folks probably know, MLB has published normal spring training and regular season schedules for 2021. A report last week from The Athletic said that only Triple-A may begin on time to cut down on the number of players in camp. (That article link is over on the 2021 Minor League Schedule thread.)

A new report from former scout Bernie Pleskoff goes much further. It is something I have not seen elsewhere, but because it is subscriber-only content at Rotowire, I am not going to copy it here. The gist is this:

Spring training will not start until May and will be held in home cities.
    Camps would end mid-June and be followed by a 100-game regular season.

Bernie calls this a PLAN rather than a proposal. However, he also acknowledges that the Players Association must approve.

My personal take:

Players will fight hard against another season of less than 162. So may owners in cities that expect they can run at full capacity. I really wonder if all owners are ready to bag 62 games this early.

I wonder if what Bernie is writing about is the private Plan A or if it is Plan B. What we have heard so far from Cardinals executives is hope for a plan that begins on time with partial seating and evolves to full capacity later in the season. They are NOT talking about fewer than 162, at least publicly.

This feels more to me like a fallback scenario. Though it could end up being a realistic one depending on what you believe our environment will be like in the spring.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I find it hard to believe they couldn’t have partial attendance in April considering that other sports are already doing that.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Even MLB had partial attendance – at the end – in Texas and California. But no sport is opened up in all locations. Not even close. No one knows for sure where we will be in the spring, so contingency planning is a good idea, IMO.

Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

There were lots of things to dislike about this past season but as time wore on I found my greatest dislike to be something unusual………………those darn cardboard fans always staring out at you and even including horses, dogs, cats and other forms of wildlife. I was hoping we could have a huge barn fire out behind second base and have people donate to throw photos into the fire.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Information for prospective season ticket buyers on partial seating and opting out, among other possibilities…

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

The Cheap Seats blogger in the Belleville paper is urging Cardinals season ticket holders to not renew.

“St. Louis Cardinals fans should opt out of season tickets to send the team a message”

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Officially, the 2021 MLB schedule is not off schedule – yet…

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Another positive snippet of news about the start of camps… Although I am pretty sure the CBA dictates teams cannot require players to come in early. It is voluntary, and many choose to do it.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Here is the exact answer.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Andrew Miller making the Union stance clear. Play 162.

https://twitter.com/dgoold/status/1347216607836327938

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

From Goold’s chat…

Chatter:

The Cardinals are making season ticket holders either pay 25% of the cost for season tickets in 2021 in exchange for the ability to buy tickets in 2022 or pay in advance for the entire 2021 season by January 15, 2021 . Failure to do either results in loss of PSL. This will give them millions of dollars in loans from fans. They have the money!!!!

Goold’s reply:

Correct. And then they have to be ready to pay some of that money back when games aren’t happening. It’s likely all of that money is going to go into a separate account that is paid out from if/when the schedule is shortened or there’s a lockout that erases some of the 2022 season. Fun times.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

An interesting spin, and if MLB could latch onto it as a reason to justify starting the regular season later, they would be all over it. Not going to happen, though…

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

There are two things about that article that come to mind.

1. Publicly financed baseball complexes and stadiums. The next time someone refers to “spending other people’s money is easy” just remember that the owners are also good at spending other people’s money, i.e. the taxpayers.

2. I have never been to a spring training game but my assumption is that the majority of the crowds are made up of people age 60 and over. Those are the exact people that are now being or soon will be receiving the covid vaccines, therefore, it should lessen the problem of having them attend games right?

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Agreed. Owners in all pro sports have been working over municipalities for handouts for years. The spring training battles have been especially pitched. For example, for the Cubs, Mesa won a battle with Naples, Florida.

Having been to countless spring training games, I agree there are plenty of retirees who may already live in the area, but the other half (roughly) are families who follow the teams and came down from the North, hence the tourism benefit/exposure mentioned.

The quantity of over 60 people who have received both shots and feel comfortable going to an MLB stadium in March is going to be pretty low, in my estimation.

Anyway, the whole concept of the article is dumb, IMO. It has about the same chance pf happening as the Cardinals acquiring Arenado. 😉

(What I mean is that if spring training is delayed, it won’t be because MLB is feeling sorry for local towns in Florida and Arizona.)

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I am SO ready for baseball to start. Cmon spring training.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Pitchers and catchers report in 23 days…

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Pitchers and catchers report in 23 days…

Are we sure that is going to happen???

TheBeave
    Participant

“Cactus League, cities ask MLB to delay start of Arizona spring training because of pandemic”

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 69 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.