Yadier Molina Contract Extension??

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Yadier Molina Contract Extension??

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 669 total)
  • Author
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

This should be… interesting. Mo as the contract extension Oprah might not be far off.

Molina, whose current contract expires at the end of the 2020 season, would like to play through 2021 and possibly 2022, the Cardinals were told Tuesday during baseball’s General Managers Meetings. The Cardinals met with Molina’s agent, Melvin Roman, who also represents left fielder Marcell Ozuna.

The Cardinals intend to have a conversation with Roman and Molina about a contract extension during spring training. His current deal was negotiated during spring training, and it’s customary for the Cardinals to work through extension negotiations during spring training, as they did with Paul Goldschmidt, Miles Mikolas, and Matt Carpenter this past spring.

https://www.stltoday.com/sports/baseball/professional/birdland/molina-plans-to-play-past-current-deal-possibly-through-la/article_91040860-24b7-5bea-ab13-d5f7895566fa.html

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

I could see a 1 year extension with the Cards looking to reload in 2022 with a lot of money coming off the books. Most likely they have Carpenter (18.5), Fowler (16.5), Wong (12.0), Miller (11.5), Martinez (17.5 – team option) and then possible Molina. There could also be a FA wave if in the off-season free agency is reduced from 6 years to 5 years of service time as many speculate will happen.

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

IF he keeps playing well, let him keep playing. Same with Waino. The value they bring as players plus as vets…and then as basically player coaches should be considered in their evaluation of their total worth

Bw52
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Only if he takes a big pay cut.Reduces his workload and shuts his mouth and lets the manger decide who is catching.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

The follow on discussion comes quickly. Should they trade Knizner like they did Kelly? I just taped my weekly podcast with Danny Mac and discussed this. Will post the link when he gets it loaded.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

It seems like Knizner could be on the chopping block. Then again, you never know when depth might be needed, and he’s probably as good a bet as anyone to be adequate as a fill in if Yadi were to be injured. For Andrew, it would probably be best, much like it was with Carson Kelly.

Onyxgem
    Participant

Free

no no no no and no I love Yadi but no to the extension

forsch31
    Participant

Free

Brian, I was just thinking the same thing about Knizner. If the Cardinals keep Molina through 2022, Herrera should be ready by then. Knizner will be 25 this entire season so he would be 28 by the 2023 season. He has more value as a trade candidate, now, than waiting until he can finally be the starter.

Bw52
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Why trade Knizner? There is no sure thing in the system….Molina has been injured the last 2 years and Wieters did a adequate job he isnt known for his defense (although he did do okay).Smart move is to start Molina 100 -110 games ,Knizner 50-60 games.Knizner did throw out 3 of 4 baserunners in his 13 starts.Molina threw out 8 of 30 baserunners 26 %.Wieters threw out 8 of 19 baserunners 42%.I know its not all on the catcher but it does show that Molinas arm can`t make up the difference like it used to.

forsch31
    Participant

Free

Molina stops the baserunning by being behind the plate. Even though his CS% was only 26%, the highest percentage of attempts came while Wieters was behind the plate. Runners attempted a stolen base once every 31 innings against Molina, every 29 innings against Knizner and every 20 innings against Wieters.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Yes I think Knizer will end up just like Kelly, which means the new heir apparent is Ivan Herrera.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Cleveland is one team that is looking for a catcher.

forsch31
    Participant

Free

Knizner in a trade for Lindor?

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

We need to make some space for new prospects to move up. Cleveland might like acquiring Knizner, and Edman, and maybe an outfielder and a pitcher, although I don’t think the Cardinals would give up Carlson, or Gorman for two years of anybody, including Lindor. IMO, the possibility of acquiring a player like Lindor hinges on moving Carpenter and his contract. If that doesn’t happen, not much else can happen.

(I know this belongs on the other thread, but I wanted to reply to forsch31’s post.)

GameCard
    Participant

Free

Edman should not be included in the trade.

BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

I was okay trading Kelly because Knizner was already in AAA and to me had shown he was MLB ready. Herrera is probably 1-2 years away from being MLB ready and there is really no one else that’s close (possibly Jose Godoy but his ceiling is back-up). I’d be very hesitant to trade Knizner.

If Yadi does sign an extension he better be willing to take a decreased workload and less money.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I was okay trading Kelly because Knizner was already in AAA and to me had shown he was MLB ready. Herrera is probably 1-2 years away from being MLB ready and there is really no one else that’s close (possibly Jose Godoy but his ceiling is back-up). I’d be very hesitant to trade Knizner.

If Yadi does sign an extension he better be willing to take a decreased workload and less money.

I wouldn’t be shocked to see Wieters come back to help Yadi bridge the gap to Herrera.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Jim Bowden speculated Knizer, Arozarena, and Montero to Boston for one year of Betts. Yes, that is similar to how we acquired Goldy but Goldy was only owed $15M his first year here. Betts may get $27M in arbitration next year. I don’t see the Cards doing that.

https://theathletic.com/1371199/2019/11/13/bowden-exploring-three-potential-trade-possibilities-for-mookie-betts/

GameCard
    Participant

Free

The difference is Goldschmidt was open to signing a long term contract and Betts isn’t.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

The Cardinals have been very clear they don’t want rentals. When they got Goldy, they had to have a sense that he would be open to an extension (which he signed before he ever played a game as a Cardinal at Busch).

Betts, on the other hand, has made it very clear that he plans to test free agency. For that reason alone, I dismiss this. (Not to mention the fact it is totally made up.)

1964cards
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I am struggling with the thought of a two year extension for Molina. I recognize all Yadi has done and I am happy he will be back in St Louis for his age 37 season. However, his games played have decreased over the past three seasons (from 147 games in 2016 to 123 games in 2019). His offensive stats remain decent.

At some point, “Father Time” will catch up to Yadi. Is a two year extension prudent at this time? Wouldn’t it be more prudent to assess the situation in July or August and determine a direction? There has been a lot of complaining about the Carpenter extension, the length of the Fowler contract and concerns voiced on the Goldschmidt contract length. Isn’t signing a Molina extension at this time “more of the same” creating future payroll flexibility issues?

14NyquisT
    Participant

The Cards broke Kelly’s morale. So he is happy PLAYING for the D’Backs. Knizner would be happy PLAYING anywhere in MLB. The Cards sending Knizner down the same path as Kelly would turn me off on the FO.

skippy mckill
    Participant

Free

I extended him for two years in my MLB The Show franchise mode for $4.7M a year. And he was “happy” to be offered a platoon role. So…

Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

I would not be surprised to see Wieters sign elsewhere so Knizner is not to be traded – even if Wieters resigns for another year. Yadi – definitely NO two year extension. Treat him the same as Waino – one year, low pay with incentives but incentives for games played end at 80; otherwise, he will once again try hogging everything. Face it, Yadi is pretty beat, especially the hands and the junque has been nabbed more than once. I see him as still being very good at some things and slipping on others (passed balls) but I don’t want a 40 year old catcher (2 year extension) with a almost as old backup. Yadi’s strongest point is his knowledge and that should equate to a coaching position after next season. JMHO

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Ny, when did you reverse course and become NOT “turned off by the FO”. 😉

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 669 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 25 years