Wong Gone (Most Likely)-2021 Option Declined

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Wong Gone (Most Likely)-2021 Option Declined

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 152 total)
  • Author
    stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Seems like it would be useful to have its own thread.

Participant

Free

Yep I don’t see Cardinals giving him what he deserves and what he can get on the open market. I’m not sold on edmans defense but he’s our second baseman.

Participant

Free

….

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by AvatarOnyxgem.
    kscardfankscardfan
    Participant

Free

70’s revisited.

Participant

Free

Edman can play his normal position full-time. Edman’s defense will be fine.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Regarding the Wong trade questions on another thread…

Mo said they did not have a ton of time to explore the trade market, so this was the conservative, safer play.( These are his words.)

Based on all the guys being cut loose today, I am starting to understand how serious this financial situation is. It will be interesting to see what offers Wong gets from other teams and how fast they come.

You gotta wonder if a deeper pocketed team or two is going to swoop in and pick up some good talent on the relative cheap. Mo suggested the Cards are worse off than teams that rely less on gate receipts.

kscardfankscardfan
    Participant

Free

Hopefully he goes where he can be appreciated. Hate to see a fielder of his caliber gone. You don’t easily replace that. Defense is too important of a part of the game to just blow off a GG’er. Just remembering 2 years ago. Ugh.

jj-cf-stljj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Leadoff becomes a current concern. So does blocking Carpenter at 3B if Edman goes to 2B.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Based on all the guys being cut loose today, I am starting to understand how serious this financial situation is.

Yup. The Nats cut Sanchez, Eaton and Kendrick and Thames. The Rockies cut Murphy. The Dbacks cut Leake and Rondon. The Mets cut Frazier, Ramos and Chirinos. And so on.

This is gonna be a very meager winter.

Wong may be relegated to a 1 year deal at <$5M.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Leadoff becomes a current concern. So does blocking Carpenter at 3B if Edman goes to 2B.

Edman will be leading off. What do you mean by blocking Carpenter?

bicyclemikebicyclemike

Paid - Annual

I do not like this at all. Wong is one guy that can run and play defense. He will leave a big gap if the club does not come to some sort of an agreement.

If the organization is that financially strapped, we could be in for some lean years ahead. But then relative to other clubs, maybe a lot of teams will be in the same fix.

Participant

Free

I have plenty of confidence in Edman as a lead-off hitter. They appear to be clearing the way for Nolan Gorman to be the future 3rd baseman.

jj-cf-stljj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

25, with Wong, Edman plays more 3B, leading to less PA’s for Carp in a no DH league. Without Wong…

jj-cf-stljj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Today I’d leadoff Carlson, Edman second. Over 162 games I’d expect less DP’s with Edmans speed second, vs flip-flopped.

Participant

Paid - Monthly

Did the press just take Mo’s lack of time to explore a trade BS at face value? The Cards were eliminated how many weeks ago? This is the kind of BS that really turns me off to baseball.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual
    Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Trades were prohibited this year from September 1 until the day after the World Series (today). The latter is the same as the option-deciding date.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

25, with Wong, Edman plays more 3B, leading to less PA’s for Carp in a no DH league. Without Wong…

Ok, I see now. We need someone who will prevent Carp from having his option vest. Maybe Gorman had a better year than was let on. Or maybe the Cards just want to cheap out.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

BW said:

The PBO continued to explain why the 30-year old was cut loose. “We have very few options to create (payroll) flexibility.” He predicted that this winter would not be a “normal trade market” and said this move “creates instant flexibility.”

Flexibility is always required to put more money into your pockets as you get older.

While I was on record as being ok with a year where little happened, I also believe that Mo has not earned the right to steer the next phase of Cardinals teams with real payroll flexibility in 2022 and beyond. To me, the Cards either overachieve in 2021 or Mo should get fired.

Participant

Free

Of course, the Cardinals going the cheap out route in 2021 could lead to a more expensive 2022 if Carpenter’s option vests.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Based on Mo’s comments, they clearly have their eyes on the money coming off the books for 2022. Unless Carp drinks from the fountain of youth this winter, I have to believe they will come up with a Plan B that keeps his 2022 option from vesting.

Participant

Paid - Annual

If we are going to be so financially handcuffed, maybe it’s time to explore the possibility of new ownership! Deep pockets. Would the likes of a Mark Cuban consider a team outside of Dallas? The Trumps already donn bright red MAGA caps. How about Ivanka calling the shots in St. Louis? Personally, I would be happy with either……or if they should choose to rip a page out of the “Shark Tank” dossier, a joint business venture with both as our new team owners would be a dream come true.

BlackHillsCardBlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Yeah I’ll pass and would rid myself of being a Cardinals fan if any Trump buys the team.

Gotta love how they can’t afford Wong’s $12M option but still allowed Miller’s option to vest for $500K more. And who needs a gold glove second baseman to leave when you still have Carp and his ridiculous $18M contract.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

BHC, I get your point about Miller because that was a real alternative in 2020, but the rest of it (Carpenter and Fowler) is old sunken cost that has been there for multiple years. We all wish there had been a Wong vs. Carpenter tradeoff, but there wasn’t.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Pugs, I get the humor, but let’s please stay clear of the politicians. Thanks.

Mark Cuban has tried to buy into MLB, but they don’t want him in their country club.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 152 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years