2020 Cardinals Game #39 – Sat, Sept. 12 vs. Reds

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2020 Cardinals Game #39 – Sat, Sept. 12 vs. Reds

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 54 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

7:15 p.m.
    RHP Dakota Hudson (2-2, 3.19) vs. RHP Anthony DeSclafani (1-2, 7.20)
    FS Midwest // KMOX // WIJR

The Reds have changed their starter to RHP Tejay Antone (0-1, 2.49).

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Tejay Antone has faced 99 batters this season, 54 as a SP, and 45 as a reliever. As a RHP he has been brutal vs RHB’s allowing a 14 ops+, and vs LHB’s an 89 ops+.

His last outing vs PIT he went 5 IP on 82 pitches, with a GSc of 57.

Here’s where I couldn’t blame Schildt for trying to be creative with the lineup to start the game. If he tries to go heavy with lefty bats he knows he can put Edman in RF, but he then has 3 RHB’s in Bader, O’Neill and Thomas to fill the other two outfield spots.

Would he use B. Miller in LF and backfill with Wieters at DH?

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Antone has been good this year, but it doesn’t jive with his minors track record. He had an ERA of 4.00 split between AA and AAA last year, and a 4.03 ERA in 2018 in the FSL. His Ks ticked up a little since he returned from missing the 2017 season, but still were right around 8 per 9 IP. It seems like his success is primarily due to lack of familiarity. Hopefully the Cards have studied up and can adjust. He’s due for a bad game. Does this mean we get Desclafani tomorrow, or is he being skipped? I hate to miss the chance to face him.

Here’s my preferred lineup:

2B Wong
    RF Edman
    1B Goldy
    DH Miller
    SS Dejong
    3B Carp
    LF Ravelo
    C Yadi
    CF Bader

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I get the impression that the Cards may finally be running out of steam due to all of the difficulties they have had to face this year. I hope I am wrong but that is certainly the impression I am getting. That loss in game 2 to the Tigers on Thursday was an absolute gut punch and we certainly didn’t respond last night. I think it is going to take every ounce of resolve we have to make the playoffs.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

This is a two-game losing streak. Thursday was as you said, but Luis Castillo is very good. Not long ago, the Cardinals lost four in a row, all at home, and some gave them up for dead then, too. Then they won six of eight. The opponents ahead are beatable. We will see if they are up to it, but I don’t see enough to suspect a fold.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

1. Kolten Wong (L) 2B
    2. Tommy Edman (S) RF
    3. Paul Goldschmidt (R) 1B
    4. Brad Miller (L) DH
    5. Paul DeJong (R) SS
    6. Matt Carpenter (L) 3B
    7. Austin Dean (R) LF
    8. Matt Wieters (S) C
    9. Harrison Bader (R) CF

bccran
    Participant

Dean in LF. Interesting.

1982 willie
    Participant

interesting lineup, hopefully we respond.

bccran
    Participant

Small sample, but Ravelo with a BA north of .300 and an OPS of .949. Now Dean being given a shot tonight.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I have developed this handy table to predict reactions:

Guys I like Guys I don't like
    SSS good Validation Ignore
    SSS bad Ignore Validation
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Exactly correct, Brian. If Dean goes 0-3 with a K, that will signal that he’s clearly not worth giving a shot to.

ZTR
    Participant

Free

Without looking, with a couple of exceptions it feels like the Cardinals have been playing .500 baseball since the 2015 All-Star game.

The exceptions being Shildt’s first month after replacing Matheney and the final month of the season last year.

It just feels like they are mired in mediocrity.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Hudson with a solid start to his game. 8 pitches in the first. He just got Babe Suarez out, so that’s a good sign.

bccran
    Participant

Nice to see an at bat like Dean’s.
    Battled all the way.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Austin Dean with a really nice at bat. Drives one in the gap for a double. Maybe rattled Antone a little bit. He walks Wieters.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Hudson needs to start finding the plate again. Two walks to start the inning to the #7 and 8 hitters.

1964cards
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Things are shaping up well this inning. Hudson needs a double play ball here.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Three straight walks by Hudson. It’s slipping away from him. I feel something really bad coming on. Could be a crooked number.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Dakota gets the double play ball to get out of it with only one run allowed.

1964cards
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Hudson gets the grounder and the Double play ends the inning … could have been much worse. Cards down 1-0.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I don’t know if Wainwright even knew what was going on over on the field, but he somehow must have helped Hudson escape with just one run against him.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The Reds pitcher is starting to get the Livan Hernandez zone. It’s gonna end 1-0 if he’s able to live off the zone.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Miller with the bomb to center and it’s tied at 1.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Bases loaded with Redbirds after walk-hit-walk. Wieters needs to do something here.

1964cards
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Tie game, bases loaded and no out. The Cards need Weiters to deliver here … need to break things open.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 54 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.