Mrperkins

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 25 posts - 251 through 275 (of 499 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: 2022 CBA negotiations #181243
    Mrperkins
    Participant

    I hate the zombie runners and the DH. I remember listening to a game when the final run crossed the plate in a looong game (17th inning?) on a hit by of all people, Bob Tewksbury, who was not an accomplished hitter. This was about 30 years ago. Pretty sure I wouldn’t have remembered the game if it had ended in the 10th on a leadoff hit by Dickerson.
    Aha, found it. April 25, 1992 vs Expos.

    in reply to: 2022 Spring Training Game thread #181157
    Mrperkins
    Participant

    Donovans HR today was impressive. Liner to the opposite field gap that snuck over the wall. Oviedo looked good. Pretty much all the pitching was solid except Thompson giving up hits and walks.

    in reply to: Corey Dickerson free agent signing #181092
    Mrperkins
    Participant

    Ah, found the original signing. It was 2 years for 5mil total but baseball reference only lists the 1 year on salaries. I assume they ended up paying the full 5mil for his 3 month stay

    in reply to: Corey Dickerson free agent signing #181091
    Mrperkins
    Participant

    Nope, 2.5 mill. Wonder why it sticks out so much to me as 5.

    in reply to: Corey Dickerson free agent signing #181090
    Mrperkins
    Participant

    Blingboy, wasn’t Ty Wigginton exactly 5 mil? I think we all knew that was a stinker when it went down.

    in reply to: Jack Flaherty Injured #181034
    Mrperkins
    Participant

    Just hoping he doesn’t become our Mark Prior

    in reply to: Cards off season grades – (On going) #181033
    Mrperkins
    Participant

    I’m really glad they didn’t sign Jansen at 16m with his bb/9 rate going way up and his former team not seeming to care to sign him. Looks like Holland deal 2.0. Of those names I’d have been dreaming on Conforto but 5mil to Dickerson knocks that out. I’d just as soon go with Woodford or Libertore as most of the retreads available. Brooks looked ok today. Maybe one of these new signings can hold the spot a month until Libertore can be held another year

    in reply to: 2022 Spring Training Game thread #181019
    Mrperkins
    Participant

    This was from watching MLB app free on phone for spring training

    in reply to: 2022 Spring Training Game thread #181018
    Mrperkins
    Participant

    Knizners shot was yanked down the line, barely fair. I thought all the pitchers looked ok. I don’t know what Libertore was trying when he got busted on the throw over/balk. It was definitely not a smooth attempt. Announcer said Libertore was hitting 96. Yepez looked content to watch a lot of pitches go by, most of them off the plate. As expected, the hitters on both sides were late on a lot of fastballs. DeJongs hit was a bullet liner up the middle. Gorman’s first at bat was vs a lefty. It looked at sounded like he hit it well to CF but it was towering and 10mph wind in. Burleson just missed a nice double down left field line ruled foul. I hear Arenedo had a nice play early but I missed it. Noone stood out good or bad defensively.

    in reply to: 2022 Spring Training Game thread #180853
    Mrperkins
    Participant

    Haven’t had time to check recently…is Bally contracted with any of the streaming services this year?

    in reply to: Jack Flaherty Injured #180806
    Mrperkins
    Participant

    Maybe Greinke 1 yr stopgap

    in reply to: Nick Wittgren Signs #180802
    Mrperkins
    Participant

    Bring in Joe Smith on a minor league deal and he could end up a reliable piece. He quietly has put together a great career and returned to quality results second half of last year after getting lit up early. His stats with Seattle after trade were great

    in reply to: Jack Flaherty Injured #180800
    Mrperkins
    Participant

    I never thought he was right last year or 2020. He was effective but it didn’t look like the ball was going where he wanted it to a lot. He got by because his stuff is good and the other team expected him to be nasty. I’ve been expecting this news since a month into last year.

    in reply to: So what are we going to do? #178443
    Mrperkins
    Participant

    With the talk here of some supporting idea of signing Moran, I’d much rather investigate reports of Mets looking to trade McNeil. The knock on him is not getting along in clubhouse, particularly Lindor, but I can see that as volitile as that club was last season. I trust Molina and the other vets could keep a handle on that. He can play 2nd, 3rd, 1st, corner OF, or maybe DH. All star in ’19 with .300 avg, 20 hr and almost 40 doubles. Maybe offer up their choice of 2 out of 3 of Rondon/Woodford/Oviedo and a lottery ticket like Torres and see if they bite?

    in reply to: Former Cardinals in the News – 2017 to Aug. 2024 (closed) #178194
    Mrperkins
    Participant

    The Braves plucked Nogowski from the Giants, where he had signed as a minor league free agent.

    in reply to: Post-Lockout Free Agency #178035
    Mrperkins
    Participant

    Archie Bradley was mentioned in an article I saw. 60% ground ball rate, some experience closing, from Oklahoma, 29years old…Should be able to be had for 5-7 mil/yr.

    in reply to: Cubs thread #177762
    Mrperkins
    Participant

    Stroman on the Cubs. Somehow that seems right. It won’t be quite as enjoyable as seeing Jose Lima go up in flames but I’ll take it. Wisdom and Schwindel are not exactly the strong defensive guys you want for Stroman’s ground ball tendencies and I don’t even know who is at SS.

    in reply to: Luis Garcia to Padres #177747
    Mrperkins
    Participant

    No to that deal. He hasn’t shown the ability to have 2 consecutive seasons that he can be relied upon. I wish we could have talked Melancon into the deal he accepted with the D-backs but I understand that being close to Arizona was big for him.

    in reply to: So what are we going to do? #177704
    Mrperkins
    Participant

    I think with a DH Gorman could make the club out of spring as long as you don’t sign garbage like Moran.

    in reply to: So what are we going to do? #177700
    Mrperkins
    Participant

    I am not at all interested in Moran. He is statuesque on defence (in a bad way) and at his best he can give you .270 with very little pop. Then whose spot is he taking? Nootbar? Gorman? All Moran does is plug up a roster spot. If we want to do that again we can call Matt Carpenter. Moran’s OBP last year is almost identical to Carpenter’s from 2020 when he hit .185. This is a guy the Pirates are getting rid of to put their eggs in the basket of Yoshi Tsutsugo who couldn’t even hit over .200 before the Devil Rays and Dodgers dumped him last year

    in reply to: Free agent Steven Matz #177669
    Mrperkins
    Participant

    I still think the Cardinals got a fantastic deal for the money. A new comparison: the Red Sox just signed Paxton to a deal, 10 mil guaranteed for this next year, then option to add 2 years and 25mil to deal. This Paxton that blew out during his 2nd start and had his 2nd Tommy John surgery and will be out the first few months of the year and has seemed to not be able to get through a full season without breaking down.

    in reply to: Free agent Steven Matz #177449
    Mrperkins
    Participant

    I’m not a fan of give a guy more for shorter deal. If you don’t think he is going to be in the league in 4 years, don’t sign him. Or take out insurance. Matz has put up 30 starts in 3 of last 4 years, with the covid year the exception. Had a strong 2nd half last year and played the whole year in AL East with DH. I see 15 wins a year from him each year.

    in reply to: Free agent Steven Matz #177382
    Mrperkins
    Participant

    I’d like to see a signing of a solid relief guy with closing experience just in case. Give me Melancon at 2/16 and I’ll be ready to call it an offseason.

    Edit: Didn’t realize he picked up that many saves last year. Might not come that cheaply.

    in reply to: Free agent Steven Matz #177366
    Mrperkins
    Participant

    The contract is too long if you expect regression or injury. I don’t. I think he will be a bargain. I would even go so far as to say I prefer 4/44 to 3/33 as I think his success here would have commanded more than 11mil after year 3. I guess time will tell.

    in reply to: Free agent Steven Matz #177316
    Mrperkins
    Participant

    One last comment: 2 weeks ago the word was we were looking at Heaney from the California Angels. He signed for 8.5 mil. I’d much rather have Matz at 11 than Heaney at 8.5.

Viewing 25 posts - 251 through 275 (of 499 total)

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 25 years