So what are we going to do?

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum So what are we going to do?

Viewing 23 posts - 526 through 548 (of 548 total)
  • Author
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Moran has very little power. Considering our projected bench isn’t exactly known for power (outside of potentially Yepez, Sosa, Knizner and Nootbar probably don’t hit more than 10-15 HRs in a full season), I think the guy we sign will probably will have a little more pop.

Cards667
    Participant

Free

The non-tender player I think the Cardinals should pursue is Andrew Vasquez from the Dodgers. 37.4% strikeout rate and 61.8% groundball rate in AAA.

And 6 BB/9, don’t forget that part.

LACardFan
    Participant

Free

It was 4.5 per 9, according to Baseball Reference.

He is also left-handed, and held lefties to a .074 avg and .130 slugging %

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I agree with adding Vasquez, and maybe look into Joe Palumbo, who the Giants non tendered. Both lefties with lots of strikeouts.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I think with a DH Gorman could make the club out of spring as long as you don’t sign garbage like Moran.

If Gorman has a big ST he might go north but I would say the odds are he gets a month or two with Memphis. Same with Yepez.

Mo has already said they are looking for a “different type of bat”, whatever that means. He didn’t say if that was internal or external but considering our current projected bench is very young I could see them going after a veteran bat. I also assume it will be a cheap bat so that would rule out someone like Schwarber.

Cards667
    Participant

Free

McHugh and/or Knebel are the 2 I’ve wanted from the start. Knebel would be a more “traditional” reliever and work set up for Gallegos, or vice-versa. McHugh is much less traditional, but been highly effective as a reliever. He’s worked as an opener, set up, and worked many 2 inning appearances. For his career as a reliever, mostly since 2018, he has a 2.45 ERA, 10.9 K/9, 4.02 K/BB. I like the idea of having a versatile weapon like McHugh. As for Knebel he’s been fighting injury since 2018 and missed all of 2019, limited in 2020, and didn’t come back until later in 2021. But looked stronger as the season went and still has that nasty breaking ball and velocity was back up to 96 this year where it was when we saw him in Milwaukee. He’s definitely intriguing enough to me that I’d take the chance on his health at the right cost of course.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual
    Cards667
    Participant

Free

It was 4.5 per 9, according to Baseball Reference.

This season was 4.5. In 72 AAA innings its 5.8 bb/9. Not saying he’s not worth a look, especially on a minor league deal, but they have gone away from control issue players recently.

Cards667
    Participant

Free

Knebel signed with the Phillies today.

Well darn. Oh, well.
    And Luis Garcia to the Padres for 2/$7 million

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I sure hope we can get Kelly, as the options are dwindling. Maybe a 2 year deal with a vesting 3rd year, 21 mill total for 3 years. After not resigning Garcia, I think a priority is getting at least 1 solid bullpen arm, or preferably 2 before the lockdown. I wonder what Yates signed for. He would have a solid veteran closer type choice.

ROBERT161MI
    Participant

Free

I’ve been a St.Louis Cardinals fan for the majority of my 64 years..In those 64 years I’ve seen great teams,and mediocre to bad teams..Signing a free agent pitcher who is slated to be third in the rotation is nothing to get excited about,yes he may be an innings eater,but unless he has a very high upside to be a top notch front of the lineup pitcher. i can’t get excited about this signing..The Cardinals have once gone shopping in the bargain basement,it’s time to make this team exciting again,sign a top notch starting pitcher,shortstop,and closer…If ownership Dewitt,and Mo are not willing to spend the money that we all know they have,. then it’s time to sell the Cardinals..if you read into the settlement between the NFL,and the city of St.Louis it leaves open the option of the Cardinals being moved to a bigger market city..Is this what we as fans really want,to see our beloved Cardinals moved to a big market environment?

ROBERT161MI
    Participant

Free

Just as Mike Shannon stated the Cardinals are up for sale…

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Nathan Leopold Jr.
    Participant

Free

Thank You, Ben Fred.

ZTR
    Participant

Free

If the Cardinals can avoid being decimated by injuries that would solve a lot.

You have to assume some injuries of course but its not practical to prepare for an apocalyptic level of decimation.

Yes, there is still work to do but I think the farm will produce better crops this season.

1982 willie
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Read an article which basically pointed out strohman was never going to be an option because of money which I agree with though I don’t agree they shouldn’t have tried to get him. Matz is fine but he’s not a put you over the top pitcher. Maybe if everybody stays healthy, doesn’t miss any games but that’s not the history our pitchers have shown. History is what you got to go by not hope this is the year we don’t have injuries. I guess the extra we have over, they can get some relievers but I would rather have another quality starter and piece together some relievers. Only way not getting stroman is good is if they don’t have a season.

mstoffler@hotmail.com
    Participant

Free

Looks pretty good to me just as it is. Not sure that Goldschmidt is a #2 hitter in the order but not a huge problem. As long as DeJong isn’t in the line up on a regular basis – we’ll be a better defensive and offensive unit. Losing Carpenter and Shildt are major additions by substraction . . . both weren’t about winning as much as they were about the status quo. My biggest concern is the bullpen. How did we go from starting out in good shape only to spiral into a wild, psychotic pack of recreational relievers? I think Maddox needs to be held accountable. This year will be a great time to watch Waino, Yadi, Arenado and Goldschmidt. And . . . Bader, O’Neill and Carlson are going to be very interesting. Go Redbirds. (P.S. – I’m going to miss Shannon . . . but especially when Ricky H is in the booth.

mstoffler@hotmail.com
    Participant

Free

Play Sosa – bench DeJong. Love Nootbaar. Let’s play.

mstoffler@hotmail.com
    Participant

Free

Dropping Carpenter and Schilt showed some wisdom. Money isn’t magic . . . this will be a very entertaining season.

mstoffler@hotmail.com
    Participant

Free

No wonder you aren’t a happy person.

mstoffler@hotmail.com
    Participant

Free

Agree.

kscardfan
    Participant

Free

No drinking tonight. Honest. Carlos is still worth a look. Gonna be had for cheap by somebody. Without the big contract pressure and given his last few years, some good health and he could still be a very valuable bullpen piece. Be crazy not to look. A reclamation project of our own.

Mrperkins
    Participant

Free

With the talk here of some supporting idea of signing Moran, I’d much rather investigate reports of Mets looking to trade McNeil. The knock on him is not getting along in clubhouse, particularly Lindor, but I can see that as volitile as that club was last season. I trust Molina and the other vets could keep a handle on that. He can play 2nd, 3rd, 1st, corner OF, or maybe DH. All star in ’19 with .300 avg, 20 hr and almost 40 doubles. Maybe offer up their choice of 2 out of 3 of Rondon/Woodford/Oviedo and a lottery ticket like Torres and see if they bite?

Viewing 23 posts - 526 through 548 (of 548 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years