2022 CBA negotiations

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2022 CBA negotiations

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

As you can see, I started two new threads. This one is focused on the new CBA to replace the one that expires in December 2021.

(The Cooperative Bargaining Agreement is the legal document that is the result of negotiations between owners and players that define many of the areas of MLB operation, including how much money goes to players. CBAs typically run five years.)

The other thread, not this one, is about the one-year only decisions that need to be negotiated on top of the current CBA before MLB can play in 2021. The 2021 terms may get hammered out ahead of the 2022 CBA.

It would be too good to be true if they could handle both 2021 and 2022-2026 with a single set of negotiations. But the uncertainty that will continue into 2021 will likely keep owners wary of making five-year commitments any earlier than necessary.

Participant

Paid - Annual

I have a feeling this thread is going to bring about a lot of “rolaids moments” over the next 12-18 months. All I can say is that if the 2022 season is interrupted or cancelled due to any kind of labor/ownership issues after two consecutive seasons of dealing with covid issues it will be extremely difficult for MLB to recover. Surely the knuckleheads involved realize this.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Oh, they realize it. Whether they can avert it is another question entirely.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I think the smartest thing the players union and owners could do would be to commit to going to an independent arbitrator if negotiations aren’t wrapped up by X date. I doubt they would do that, but the game can’t afford to have more acrimony at a time when fans are having far too much of it from other avenues.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Owners have too much at stake to risk going to an independent arbiter, I suspect. Plus they might have to open up their books more fully, which is something they are going to want to avoid.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Well, this is a depressing story even if it is partially true:

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2020/10/rob-manfred-mlb-debt-revenue-losses-commissioner.html

Participant

Paid - Monthly

Given the uncertainties of 2021 I would like to see both sides agree to cancel the CBA for 2021 and start negotiations on a new contract now. Let a lockout or strike happen in this upcoming season.

Participant

Free

I wonder how much you would have to pay ownership to do that? Would $1B be enough with all the covid uncertainty?

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Today was not a good day for Tony Clark. I also expect we will be hearing from Boras by tomorrow at the latest.

Let the Rhetoric Wars begin!

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I wish this lawyer would get a blog or something. This is another string of a half-dozen tweets. The essence of it is that he thinks it takes a year for this type of negotiation from start to end so if they don’t get started soon, they won’t make it.

The owners may be motivated to stall because they know the players want changes they don’t want to yield on.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Right on cue, Boras makes his statement, though so far it appears positive. Though his choice of words concerned me. When I think of people being caught up by waves in the ocean, the first thing I think of is drowning. Then he switched to spiraling bases. It seems he tries to be too clever with his wordplay…

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Peter Gammons illustrating why there will be a major battle over the next CBA. Player salaries flat as revenues increase.

Participant

Paid - Annual

So, the owners’ revenue was up in 2020 even though only 60 games were played? I wonder where Forbes got their data. I can see where they can figure players’ salaries, but I don’t see how they can accurately figure revenue.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Participant

Paid - Annual

Salary cap, or not, no more megacontacts. Spread the money around so that any kid that makes it to the majors gets to be a millionaire. This complaining about a salary cap is rooted in the agents not being able to secure those megacontracts. If an agent doesn’t get more money than the similar player who precedes the player he is representing, it makes the agent look bad.

That said, one thing to keep in mind about the next CBA, in my opinion, is that if the players truly want to eliminate the effective salary cap, then the salary cap will be effectively eliminated. When the players challenge the owners, the owners ultimately back down and lose the challenge. There is no reason to expect anything more than that coming up.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years