Cubs thread

Viewing 25 posts - 951 through 975 (of 1,004 total)
  • Author
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Pretty astounding that they couldn’t have gotten something for a guy who went 12-7 with a 3.37 ERA in a trade. I can’t understand the logic by the Reds.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I agree. Miley put up a WAR of 6.0 in 2021. Why not just exercise the $10M option then trade him? It makes no sense.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Cubbies make a big move.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Stroman would give the Cubs 2 very good starters, and a 3rd solid one.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Good pickup for them. It wouldn’t surprise me if they end up going after Correa also.

Mrperkins
    Participant

Free

Stroman on the Cubs. Somehow that seems right. It won’t be quite as enjoyable as seeing Jose Lima go up in flames but I’ll take it. Wisdom and Schwindel are not exactly the strong defensive guys you want for Stroman’s ground ball tendencies and I don’t even know who is at SS.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

LACardFan
    Participant

Free

That seems like a great deal for the Cubs

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Even at that price, I’d have been a fan of the Cards going after Stroman. I don’t think he will be awesome in Chicago, but he’d have been a game changer in St Louis. The Cubs are quietly inserting themselves right back into the thick of the NL Central. With a couple of more signings, I might say they are better than the Cards.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I am very surprised they were able to get Stroman on just a 3 year deal. The AAV is obviously high but that is still a smart deal for the club. It limits your long term exposure.

PadsFS
    Participant

Paid - Annual

stlcard25

Even at that price, I’d have been a fan of the Cards going after Stroman. I don’t think he will be awesome in Chicago, but he’d have been a game changer in St Louis. The Cubs are quietly inserting themselves right back into the thick of the NL Central. With a couple of more signings, I might say they are better than the Cards.

It isn’t a smart move for the re-building Cubs.

I don’t see them getting much better than being a .500 team. They got some great production out of journeymen Ortega, Schwindel, and Wisdom this year so unless they’re spending half a billion more on FAs, I can’t see them even becoming a mid-80s win team.

To get there even, they won’t go after a shortstop with Hoerner there. Maybe they could go after Castellanos and Bryant or something and then get another couple pitchers like Rodon or Kershaw.

More likely, they want to see what they have with Madrigal and Hoerner in the infield and Davis and Velaquez in the OF. They obviously signed Gomes with the intent to trade Contreras.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

With a couple more signings, I might say they are better than the Cards.

I don’t think Ted Williams and Cy Young would even get the cubbies within a few games of us by season’s end, StlCard25. Their work is very much cut out for them.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

And Marcus Stroman. Not that it makes a big difference (see Billy Wagner). I was surprised to see how short in stature Stroman is…..5’7 & 170 lbs.

* I just goggled Billy Wagner and he’s not as short as I thought he was. We all know who the shortest every day player was in MLB history, as he played in our fair city. But I wonder who the shortest pitcher was? Might be a question best left for Skippy J. and all of the fine folk over at the esteemed Elias Sports Bureau.

Bob Reed
    Participant

Free

After the trade deadline in 2021, the cubs went 20-36 and were outscored by a stupefying total of 104 runs. They’d need three Marcus Stromans just to get to .500, in my unhumble opinion. It’s still an awful roster right now. (Just like the Texas Rangers and their big improvements, we gotta keep the starting point ever in mind.)

And moreover, I think Mr. Stroman may be overvalued in some corners of the internet. Here are the 2022 Steamer projections for Stro and Steven Matz:

M.S. 4.09 ERA, 3.95 FIP, 188 IP, 3.0 WAR
    S.M. 3.91 ERA, 3.99 FIP, 161 IP, 2.5 WAR

So, at least as far as one forecasting model is concerned, either Marcus Stroman is a radical overpay, or Steven Matz is a terrific bargain. Or both.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I wonder if Stroman is designed to put some star power back into the team and soothe upset fans a bit. It surely did not move the Cubs from non-contender to contender.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

And moreover, I think Mr. Stroman may be overvalued in some corners of the internet. Here are the 2022 Steamer projections for Stro and Steven Matz:

M.S. 4.09 ERA, 3.95 FIP, 188 IP, 3.0 WAR
    S.M. 3.91 ERA, 3.99 FIP, 161 IP, 2.5 WAR

So, at least as far as one forecasting model is concerned, either Marcus Stroman is a radical overpay, or Steven Matz is a terrific bargain. Or both.

I can’t get a bead on Steamer this year. They seem overly optimistic on some and pessimistic on others. BRef has them as such (I don’t see WAR or FIP)

Stroman-3.42 ERA, 150 IP, 1.213 WHIP

Matz-4.37 ERA, 142 IP, 1.352 WHIP

In a neutral environment, I agree with those numbers. I think the ballpark/defense of each team will probably adjust it a little. For Matz it may adjust a lot. Put me down for the IP for Steamer for both (maybe a little less for Matz) and ERA around 3.20-3.50 for Stroman, 3.70-4.00 for Matz. What’s the value of that? I dunno if it’s 2.5 times, but I’d have been fine with offering Stroman $20M a year.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I wonder if Stroman is designed to put some star power back into the team and soothe upset fans a bit. It surely did not move the Cubs from non-contender to contender.

Probably so but I don’t think this is going to be a complete tank job like they did last time. I expect them to add more after the CBA fiasco concludes, possibly someone like Correra. They certainly have the payroll room to do it.

As of right now:

1B Schwindel
    2B Madrigal
    SS Hoerner
    3B Wisdom
    LF Happ
    CF Ortega
    RF Heyward
    C Contreras
    DH Frazier

SP Hendricks
    SP Stroman
    SP Miley
    SP Alzolay
    SP Mills

I have no idea about their bullpen.

As constituted right now they could be an 81 win team if everything went right but they don’t have a lot of depth to cover injuries.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

It looks like a trade chip contract to me. I haven’t seen any reports of a NTC.

PadsFS
    Participant

Paid - Annual

gscottar

Probably so but I don’t think this is going to be a complete tank job like they did last time. I expect them to add more after the CBA fiasco concludes, possibly someone like Correra. They certainly have the payroll room to do it.

Bob Reed is right. I think they are in for a world of hurt as a lot of their production in 2021 came before the trade deadline (Kimbrel, Bryant, Rizzo, etc)

Tanking-wise, this seems like the 2012 offseason when they went out and signed Edwin Jackson to that 4-yr deal (Stroman), along with Feldman (Wiley), and still had Garza (Hendricks) and Samardzija (Alzolay) under contract…

They traded all four of those starters, getting some really good talent back like Edwards, Olt, Ramirez, Arrieta, Strop, Russell, Straily, and McKinney to go along with ’13 and ’14 draft picks ~ Bryant and Schwarber.

Nathan Leopold Jr.
    Participant

Free

I would agree that what the Cubs have done so far does not make them an equal with the Cardinals.

However, what they have done so far leads one to ask two questions:

1. Are the Cubs done acquiring “significant” talent from the outside for 2022?

2. Are the Cardinals done acquiring “significant” talent from the outside for 2022?

The answers to those two questions could have an effect on the dynamics of the NL Central for 2022.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I get your points, nate, but I am more concerned about the Brewers.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

If/when the Cubs sign Correa maybe the perception will change. Assuming they are tanking and will stink again could be a mistake.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

That Cubs lineup is (to use a favorite word of nate’s) mediocre. Other than SS and DH maybe, there isn’t a single Cubs player I would take over their corresponding Cardinal. I also believe the Cardinals pitching and defense are stronger. Other than that…

Viewing 25 posts - 951 through 975 (of 1,004 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years