Jack Flaherty Injured

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Jack Flaherty Injured

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 87 total)
  • Author
    kscardfan
    Participant

Free

Should it be time to take a good long look at the Training regimen of the healthy and rehabbing Pitchers on this Team. Every year starts the same. Is not just this Team either.

Mrperkins
    Participant

Free

Just hoping he doesn’t become our Mark Prior

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Should it be time to take a good long look at the Training regimen of the healthy and rehabbing Pitchers on this Team.

I think the damage is done before the player reaches the professional level. My hunch is that what has changed since the old days is the competitive environment within the subset of youth baseball programs that attract youngsters making a push to get noticed and drafted. A kid who has performed at a level which gets noticed has already damaged his growing and maturing arm in the process.

ZTR
    Participant

Free

I think you are right bling.

Sometimes the youth teams use only 2 starters and of course the coaches and parents are all-in to win that picnic table league championship hanging on every pitch like it is game 7 of the World Series – heaping abuse on basically volunteer umpires getting paid may be $25 / game and otherwise living vicariously through their ‘gonna go pro’ son.

kscardfan
    Participant

Free

ZTR reminds me of an interview with Seaver years ago where they were discussing young arms being abused, overused, and throwing 120 Pitches in a night, curveballs ruining their arms. He agreed then when the interviewer asked if he was treated that way. he said he had, and that he had thrown curveballs since he was 8. I can’t totally agree that the blame goes to youth Coaches. Every player in MLB had one. And have for years. There were guts playing 70 -80 games a year when I was a kid. That was back in the 50’s, 60’s.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I went through HS in the mid 70s. I was not brought up in that over the top baseball culture but knew some guys who were. I knew a kid whose arm was always sore, 24/7. In little league he far and away threw harder than anyone else. His dad was his coach and pushed him relentlessly year after year. He went on to a different HS so I don’t know how things turned out for him after that, but he was throwing max effort heaters and curveballs in little league. I got hit by one once and it was no joke.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I wonder if the injuries to Flaherty and Reyes will impact their upcoming arbitration salaries for 2022. Normally the arbitration salaries would have been decided by now but that is not the case this year due to the lockout.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

This seasons ST injuries will not have any effect. Their salaries are based on criteria up to the end of 2021.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Arb figures are exchanged next week. The Schwartz projections on MLBTR is Reyes $3.2 and Flaherty $5.1.

Either might contribute at some point this year, or might not. My feeling is that neither has much runway left in STL. Trade value is in the toilet I would think.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

. . . Jack Flaherty and Alex Reyes would seem to be out for months, not weeks

Rick Hummel in his Notebook article this morning.

BrockLou
    Participant

Free

This reminds me of the year 2011, right around this time of year. Spoiler alert–Adam Wainwright didn’t pitch a single inning that year. We did win a championship

Hammerfist
    Participant

Free

Wow Hummel said months is more likely than weeks? Reyes’ loss could be absorbed. Flaherty’s loss could not.

That is some brutal news to start out with.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Anybody got any updates on Mr. Flaherty? Been over a week and haven’t heard anything.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Rats, we will know more when Flaherty is officially placed on the IL. This has to be done by Opening Day. If it is the 60-day, that would be a much more concerning event.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Speaking of injuries, Jacob DeGrom shut down. Will not throw for four weeks. No timetable for his return.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Any news regarding Mr. Flaherty at this point?

Hammerfist
    Participant

Free

Bump. The Mikolas/Matz/Hudson starts unfortunately made this a more pressing issue.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Hammerfist
    Participant

Free

Well that’s hooray worthy news, BW. Any idea what a timetable looks like for Flaherty? Two weeks? Two months?

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

It is a guess, but I think the earliest possible return would be 4 to 6 eeeks, if all goes well. He can rehab in the minors for a month, right?

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Flaherty is gonna be like our big trade deadline acquisition.

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 87 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years