Post-Lockout Free Agency

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Post-Lockout Free Agency

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    PadsFS
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Assuming the lockout ends prior to the season starting, who all do you think we will target among the free agents that are left?

I think there are 4 areas where they could focus: SP depth, DH/LH bench bat, LHRP, RHRP

LHRP:
    Andrew Chafin – sub 2.00 ERA, 3:1 K/BB ratio, age of 32, durable, above-average GB%
    Tony Watson – The older version of Chafin – ERA may dip into the 4.00s, age of 37.
    Brad Hand – Age of 32 also, 3.90 ERA last year – worst since he was a starter. Closing experience too.

Of course, they’ve signed Kyle Ryan already as the Tyler Webb depth guy.

RHRP:
    Alex Colome – Turning into a big GB% guy – Worst ERA of career at 4.15. age of 33.
    Ian Kennedy – Former starter, 37 years old, 3.20 ERA, goes from good to bad quite often. Not a GB guy
    Ryan Tepera – 34 years old, 2.79 ERA, elite K/BB ratio and WHIP, seems like where we will land on this
    Collin McHugh – 35 – 1.55 ERA – Extremely good K/BB ratio, can start or be a hybrid kind of guy. McHugh would definitely solidify our bullpen and I don’t see a lot of downside here.
    Joe Kelly – Will be 34. 2.86 ERA – Has been elite, especially GB% wise – 58% area. I think this is the play personally. Would be a great reunion situation.

LH DH or Bench Bat:
    Kyle Schwarber
    Joc Pederson
    Corey Dickerson
    Eddie Rosario
    Brad Miller
    Stephen Vogt
    Colin Moran

SP Depth:
    Danny Duffy
    Brett Anderson
    JA Happ
    Mike Foltynewicz

I’d really like it if Mozeliak and crew went and got a couple of the elite bullpen arms – Preferably Kelly and McHugh or Tepera and then just spent the rest on Miller who we all know and can be replaced if Gorman and Yepez are as good as advertised.

Nathan Leopold Jr.
    Participant

Free

An elite shortstop, Schwarber to DH and Pederson to platoon with Bader.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

An elite shortstop, Schwarber to DH and Pederson to platoon with Bader.

I don’t think Pederson is a CFer anymore…

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

nice list and info to get this going.. kudos

If we throw out Story or Correa wish to me solves almost everything except maybe one more reliever, which i am confident they can find via minor league deals or cheap under the radar deals given their track record recently (and also they will have a healthy Hicks, Helsley, Whitley to help with).

Story or Correa allows for DeJong to slot in at DH and work his swing out, Gorman and Yepez will not be depended on and gives us a better option to use Edman as a utility player in infield and OF to help with depth (not forcing it to all land on Noot’s shoulders)

to me Correa is a slam dunk, Story will probably be cheaper (in relation), but i do like him too.

again…setting that aside. I don’t think they sign anyone for more than 1yr hitter or reliever/swing starter. I think only a guy like Story or Correa would move that needle.

-David Peralta as a lefty hitting solid defender vet OFer isn’t bad and will probably be cheap, and also probably only a 1yr deal, Dickerson and Rosario are solid optiosn too, but i think they get multiyear deals Peralta seems to have fallen off but I think what he has left is probably enough of what we need. And if he fails, then the risk is minimal
    -Gsellmann and his groundball nature seems really obvious though may take a bit more that we think

Also…I want them to sign to minor league deal Willians Astudillo, he can play all over including Catcher, super hustle guy (even if odd sized), puts the bat on the ball. Would be great to have for a minor league AAA catcher who would have extra use as a 3rd catcher if we needed one when Yadi is too banged up to play but not banged up enough for the IL. His ability to slot in all over also allows for Knizner to pinch hit more (if Astudillo would be added to 40 as i would imagine would happen) and also for more half games for Yadi if needed. His ability to make contact is also nothing to laugh at, it is almost otherworldly, and SOMETIMES that is all you need. GET THE GUY OVER. no flailing and hoping the guy can put the bat on the ball, AStudillo can do that with his eyes closed.

So for me:
    -diamond in the rough signing for bullpen
    -Correa or Story
    -Astudillo

or, and far more likely:
    -Gsellmann
    -diamond in the rough reliever
    -D Peralta (if you can work JUST a minor league and ST invite all the better)
    -AStudillo minor league deal with ST invite

I accept that no one cares about my love for AStudillo, but i see so much value in a guy like him

Onyxgem
    Participant

Free

SS #1
    RP
    Still need a true Ace but that probably asking to much…
    Bench bat

PadsFS
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Onyxgem

SS #1

mspaid

An elite shortstop.

Yall have to know they aren’t going to get a free agent shortstop with these $150-$300M deals going around. Correa and Story are the only two left and they are the best and worst of the group of five. I’d go Correa, Seager, Semien, Baez, Story.

MLBTR had Story, 29, getting a 6yr/$126M deal. Thus far, they under-predicted Seager by $20M, Semien by 1yr and $28M, and Baez by 1yr and $40M. So, Story is probably going to get a 6yr/$150M ($25M AAV) deal or a 7yr/$161M ($23M AAV).

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Pads, most of the names on your list look accurate but I am assuming they are only going to spend another $10M-$15M or so, therefore that should whittle the options down some.

I would say something along the lines of Tepera, Miller, and LeBlanc. Maybe not those exact players but those types of players.

Mrperkins
    Participant

Free

Archie Bradley was mentioned in an article I saw. 60% ground ball rate, some experience closing, from Oklahoma, 29years old…Should be able to be had for 5-7 mil/yr.

1982 willie
    Participant

Paid - Annual

If we are only getting average players at best which most on this list are, I say just use our young guys.

1982 willie
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I meant that far as offensive players. We can always use more pitching.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Other than a strike throwing pitch to contact reliever, I don’t think Mo will do diddly.

PadsFS
    Participant

Paid - Annual

1982 willie

If we are only getting average players at best which most on this list are, I say just use our young guys.

There’s certainly other options. I was only listing guys that fill a need that we don’t have here. We don’t know if Nootbaar can hit RH pitching, nor if Yepez and, later on, Gorman would be able to handle full-time DH duties. Guys like Miller (low-end) and Schwarber (high-end) fill those gaps we have against RH pitching in the lineup and are relatively safe bets for above-average hitting in those situations.

I know it may be too much money, but getting two solid relievers and a solid bench bat that crushes RH pitching are the two holes I see now that they’ve gotten Matz.

14NyquisT
    Participant

The FO has acquired big money guys that flopped badly. Isn’t it time we acquire a player that has a break out season…. c’mon the odds are with us.

14NyquisT
    Participant

This from CBS’s Mike Axisa

CONFORTO
    Sleeper fit: Cardinals. St. Louis already has three really good outfielders (Harrison Bader, Dylan Carlson, Tyler O’Neill) but the universal DH is coming, and their only lefty bat with thump is the switch-hitting Carlson. Next season will be the last ride for Yadier Molina and Adam Wainwright. Conforto would improve the team’s chances of sending them out with a title.

Cardinals
    The Cardinals signed Steven Matz to beef up the middle of their rotation, but that’s been their only move of note to date. We expect Michael Girsch’s club to pursue more rotation help once the lockout ends.

Until then, this is the best we can offer. GRADE: C

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I am afraid Mr. Axisa lost credibility with me when he referred to the Cardinals as “Michael Girsch’s club.” I don’t know anyone who thinks Girsch is calling the shots.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years