So what are we going to do?

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum So what are we going to do?

Viewing 25 posts - 501 through 525 (of 548 total)
  • Author
    1982 willie
    Participant

Paid - Annual

We already had brad miller for a while and outside of a early hot streak he wasn’t very good and his defense was bad. So no.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

1982 willie
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Well I would like us to have some big name players but the money seager and sherzer are getting is rediculous. No we shouldn’t be paying those dollars. Seagers isn’t really terrible being how long it is, and he might be worth that if he can stay on the field but scherzer no not worth near that. Heck he was injured when the dodgers really needed him this year, I wish the Mets nothing but the worst.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I think the Cardinals are smart not to throw this stupid money around that some of these teams are. We are going to have a solid team in 2022. Maybe add another bullpen piece or veteran LH bat. I wouldn’t even mind another fringy starter.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I find it very curious MLB owners shelling out some crazy money to players before locking them out.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

There were three non-tenders from yesterday that I think the Cardinals should consider. All are low hanging fruit guys but could be useful while inexpensive.

Colin Moran
    Robert Gsellman
    Matthew Boyd

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The only problem with Boyd is that he’s recovering from an elbow surgery and probably won’t be back til later in the season. Still, he could be a flier on a 1 year deal with a club option. Would be Mo’s famous “getting X back from injury is like making a trade.”

PadsFS
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I thought Boyd had the Flexor tendon issue?

kscardfan
    Participant

Free

The thing is the Teams throwing ypur money out there wouldn’t do it if they didn’t have it. Even after two years of limited fans. Not spending just puts more money in owners pockets. You pay for these players huge contracts every time you go to the Stadium. Very few Teams that don’t spend compete.

LACardFan
    Participant

Free

The non-tender player I think the Cardinals should pursue is Andrew Vasquez from the Dodgers. 37.4% strikeout rate and 61.8% groundball rate in AAA.

Houstonlarry24
    Participant

Free

Ok as predicted Mo and the FO are back to sleep till the work stoppage is over then dumpster dive again. It never stops.

PadsFS
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Collin McHugh would be a really good pickup for the bullpen. He started for years with the Astros and has been elite in his two years in the bullpen – 2018 with the Astros and 2021 with the Rays.

Joe Kelly, though, has the best K/9 rate AND GB%-rate among the FA relievers and it’s not really close.

PadsFS
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Another thing Kelly does well is he has a miniscule Hard Hit % of 22.1% which is tenth among relievers. Brooks Raley, who TB just signed to likely replace McHugh is the only FA reliever that’s better. Aaron Loup, who the Angels picked up (really good value there too) is also in the mix with Kelly and Raley.

Kelly conversely is one of the best at generating soft contact, along with Melancon.

1964cards
    Participant

Paid - Annual

– Boyd was discussed on MLB Radio yesterday …. He is projected to be available mid-season … wonder if he would sign a two-year contract with a reasonable base plus performance incentives?
    – Kelly is good, but will not come cheap … I have always liked Joe and hated to see him get traded away
    – McHugh is interesting … wonder what his market is?

Win Cor
    Participant

Free

Colin Moran is interesting for sure. Plays everywhere and gets on base.

Win Cor
    Participant

Free

I heard that too.

Win Cor
    Participant

Free

There’s nothing we need out there to go silly about. We got our guy early. Now we need to get a few of the tons of guys out there.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The only problem with Boyd is that he’s recovering from an elbow surgery and probably won’t be back til later in the season. Still, he could be a flier on a 1 year deal with a club option. Would be Mo’s famous “getting X back from injury is like making a trade.”

Yeah, I tried to make some comments about each player but I kept getting an error message. I will try again.

Boyd had a triceps strain and a forearm issue but should be ready by midseason. He was once the Tigers ace.

Moran is a veteran LH bat who can DH and backup 1B.

Gsellman is a sinkerballer and control artist who would fit in the Cardinal bullpen.

We all know Mo loves the LHF (low hanging fruit).

Mrperkins
    Participant

Free

I am not at all interested in Moran. He is statuesque on defence (in a bad way) and at his best he can give you .270 with very little pop. Then whose spot is he taking? Nootbar? Gorman? All Moran does is plug up a roster spot. If we want to do that again we can call Matt Carpenter. Moran’s OBP last year is almost identical to Carpenter’s from 2020 when he hit .185. This is a guy the Pirates are getting rid of to put their eggs in the basket of Yoshi Tsutsugo who couldn’t even hit over .200 before the Devil Rays and Dodgers dumped him last year

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Then whose spot is he taking? Nootbar? Gorman?

I don’t think he would be taking anyone’s spot unless you think Gorman is going to make the opening day roster.

Mrperkins
    Participant

Free

I think with a DH Gorman could make the club out of spring as long as you don’t sign garbage like Moran.

Viewing 25 posts - 501 through 525 (of 548 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years