2022 Alex Reyes

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2022 Alex Reyes

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 71 total)
  • Author
    Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

What does everyone think is going to be his role in 2022? Is he going to be in the pen? I assume he will NOT be the closer after his disasters late last year. Will he be a middle man? Or will he be a starter? Or a spot starter and long reliever?

Hopefully he has no mental blocks coming in to 2022 that are leftover from 2021.

r/Esteemed Rat

Nigel T
    Participant

Paid - Three Months

I would assume he gets a chance to start, and if he does, he pitches like a young starter with some inconsistencies.

He is a big strong horse. It is time to get real value out of him. 25 starts and 160 innings would be awesome.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

He has more potential value as a starter. With his stuff the club probably looks at him as a candidate to start whenever Spring Training gets underway.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I could see Reyes in an “opener” role where they shoot to get him 30-50 appearances of 2-3 innings each. His stuff is so good that it’s hard to imagine him being held back by anything but the mental side. Still, he probably gets an initial chance to start, but opening games isn’t a bad second choice.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I think stl25 is correct. Reyes and Hicks will probably both get a chance to be “openers” or “piggy back” starters. Perhaps 2 or 3 innings per outing.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Well…….if both Reyes AND Hicks are openers or piggy back starters, then who is going to be the late inning guy? Gallegos, perhaps?

14NyquisT
    Participant

If Reyes makes the opening day rotation, who does he replace without any injuries? I consider him the #6 starter right now. I think he’ll be in the rotation by May.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Well…….if both Reyes AND Hicks are openers or piggy back starters, then who is going to be the late inning guy? Gallegos, perhaps?

Yes, Gallegos

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

If Reyes makes the opening day rotation, who does he replace without any injuries? I consider him the #6 starter right now. I think he’ll be in the rotation by May.

They may not use a traditional rotation. Some guys may get a start every fifth day and others may not.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I hope they can trade for a real lockdown closer. They have trade chips to offer.

Gallegos lost some of his effectiveness after the umps started clamping down on pitchers who were using ‘sticky stuff’ to get more spin, and more movement, on the ball.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

In the trade thread I threw out the idea of DeJong for Kimbrel.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Muds, if you’re implying Gallegos used sticky stuff, I couldn’t disagree more.

They even confiscated his ballcap and there were no reports of any illegal substance and no suspension.

PadsFS
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Ideally, we use Gallegos, Cabrera, McFarland, Whitley, and a FA relief pitcher in the late inning roles.

Some combo of Reyes, Hicks, and Woodford in the 4-5-6 innings / backup starter roles. It’s difficult to see a spot for them as full-time starters, given we have 5 starters in place already, but one will, unfortunately, get hurt.

My preferred ‘backup’ starter is the Reyes/Hicks/Woodford trio doing the Tampa piggy-backing, rather than just giving the ball to Woodford or Oviedo every fifth day.

I treat it as Reyes and Hicks though competing for that job and the loser ends up in the late-inning bullpen mix.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Minnesota twins baseball 2022 offseason needs.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Please ignore the previous comment. I tried to edit it, but was unable to.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

I am not a big fan of “openers”. That tends to feed into the same problem we have seen with young guys that throw hard. You are telling them to give it all they got for a couple of innings. Then you lose the guy for two years.

If we want Reyes to start, I think that you coach him to pitch like a starter. Pace yourself, be smart, know your opposing hitters and when you can let up a little. Otherwise you are going to stress the bullpen. I know Tampa has had some success with it, but it is not an ideal way to go IMHO.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

What, he’s already hurt just two days into Spring Training?????

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

What a shame. Alex Reyes was the number one ranked prospect in all of baseball at one time. He still has a chance, and I still hope success finds him. The good news about Reyes is that he’s already banked $2.5M and he’s still only 27 years old. Very, very few 27 year old boys become millionaires while still in their twenties.

This reminds me of Jurickson Profar. Profar was once the number one prospect in all of baseball, too.

ZTR
    Participant

Free

Yeah its not good to have a shoulder issue already…

Yikes.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Blessed with such pitching talent…….yet cursed with immense physical difficulties. In a case such as this, you wonder what the root cause was? Was it simply in his physical makeup not to be able to withstand the rigors of his profession? Maybe as a youngster he unintentionally set the table for future issues by experimenting with a wide array of pitches? Does the problem lay in his workout regimen? Did the Cardinals mishandle him in some fashion during his early years with the organization? Let’s hope his latest bout with injury is not a significant one.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Unfortunately, not everyone has Nolan Ryan’s genes.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

So true, Brian. I’ll have to look it up, but I do not recall N. Ryan ever being saddled with injury. Many of those great pitchers from our past avoided significant injury. The problem almost has to originate in the weight room.

forsch31
    Participant

Free

Totally from memory but I think Nolan Ryan had lots of visits to the DL in the early years of his career. I just don’t know why he was on the DL

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 71 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.