Mrperkins

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 25 posts - 201 through 225 (of 499 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • Mrperkins
    Participant

    I only got to follow this in spurts at work and see some video but the slow mo of Arenedo after his homer, Cabrera after the save….tonight might have been worth about 3 wins.

    Mrperkins
    Participant

    I still think Matz is going to be a valuable asset in the rotation for years but those pen signings were head scratchers. McFarland can at least be defended as he was successful last year but signing a bunch of nobodies because you believe they won’t walk in batters with bases loaded was an overreaction to frustration at last year problems.

    Mrperkins
    Participant

    Todd Zeile Mike Morgan?

    Mrperkins
    Participant

    J Mack is just a Pirate fan troll. He tried to start crap in Flaherty’s first start. Just ignore him. Guess he has to come here because he can’t find any other Pirates fans. Aside from Baders hair, which some of us consider flowing while others liken to a darn hippee, we do a pretty decent job keeping politics out. Get lost J Mack

    Mrperkins
    Participant

    Maybe, MAYBE, this would encourage Ollie to play Pujols vs righty less by putting Gallo in the field and DHing Yepez, Carlson (hammy), or Donovan.

    Mrperkins
    Participant

    To Yankees–
    Paul Dejong
    Drew VanHagen
    Tj McFarland
    Lars Nootbar

    To Cardinals:
    Joey Gallo

    Yanks have injuries in their bullpen but including VanHagen and McFarland more to even salary up and save face for front office on moves that didn’t work out. Gallo gets out of the New York limelight and performs better? Still draws walks and 2 time gold glove winner. DeJong gives them infield defence, seems like they always need. Include Nootbar as incentive to Yanks to trade as a LH power possibility that is being passed up by Burly on our side. We clear 40 man spots and dump our trash. Yanks take a look at the bp arms and keep or dump. Alternatively the Yanks could send cash to even out the deal but I like this idea. Gallo gone after this year.

    in reply to: Electronic strike zone. #188083
    Mrperkins
    Participant

    As I have stated before, I am against robot umpires as I appreciate the ability of someone like Wainwright working a zone that isn’t exactly textbook. Or last night for example, with Mikolos pitching in the 9th. I almost expect a pitcher pitching a no-no to get the close calls. Yet pitch track showed 2 pitches in the final at bat that were close, but obviously outside the strike zone, go against Mikolos. Who knows, maybe if he gets those calls he completes it. But I like the idea of pitchers adapting to situations rather than a precise cut and dried zone. G Maddux prob would have had an ERA a half a run higher with the robots but he was my favorite pitcher to watch (unless against Cardinals) as he could consistently hit a spot 2 inches off the plate and almost force the ump to call it.

    in reply to: Minor League Game Thread – Week of June 7-13 #187370
    Mrperkins
    Participant

    I watched the video of Carlson’s bomb and investigated to see if the “Blair” on the back of the victim was our old friend Seth. Sure enough, he is not faring well at all this year after looking ok last year. Interestingly, the starter for Durham was Kevin Herget, 31, former Cards farmhand who is acquitting himself quite well for the Bulls in a handful of starts.

    in reply to: Joe Girardi #187085
    Mrperkins
    Participant

    I hadn’t heard anything about Matheny’s “religious indoctrination”. I’m not skeptical but I wasn’t able to keep up as much for a couple years. Can someone elaborate? And which 3 players are the ones who thought their name was more important than the one on the back?

    in reply to: Joe Girardi #186927
    Mrperkins
    Participant

    He is a beneficiary of the idea right now that ex-catchers who are cerebral should be great managers, especially if they are fairly young. Hinch, Matheny, Ausmus, Soscia, David Ross….etc. Some just aren’t made out for it.

    Mrperkins
    Participant

    Read elsewhere that RP Parker down at AAA has an opt out today (or maybe it was last night). Wouldn’t mind switching him out for Whitley right now to see if he has anything left.

    Mrperkins
    Participant

    Looking at the gameday chart, Profar had a couple close pitches go against him in the 6th but Machado stuck out looking on a pitch in the zone.

    Mrperkins
    Participant

    Two things about the elder Bichette, Puggs. He had surprisingly bad bb/k for the #’s he put up, and don’t let him around your daughters alone.

    Mrperkins
    Participant

    I’m just seeing gameday. In Jays 1st inning there was a force at 2nd, then an infield hit to SS. Anyone with eyes on the diamond able to say if there may have been double play on force out play or if Paul would have made the play on the hit if we had our former infield setup?

    Edit: Ok, by Pugs account it looks like the defence didn’t play a part

    in reply to: Joshua Baez #185499
    Mrperkins
    Participant

    The way I see it is he is so young he can party too much this year, then try to learn the game all next year and having growing pains. Then take 3 years to go A-AAA and he is still only 23-24 if he really has the MLB tools.

    Mrperkins
    Participant

    Rat–I’m proud to say I actually remembered the year and final score of a truly remarkable game. 1990 New York Yankees win 4-0 despite being no hit

    in reply to: Roster Matrix #185122
    Mrperkins
    Participant

    I’m still confidant Matz will get on track. Maybe crazy.

    in reply to: Minor League Game Thread – Week of May 10-16 #185056
    Mrperkins
    Participant

    Looks like the farm returning to last year’s form. I check in here hoping for .500 daily win percentage and we haven’t even had that for seems like a week. We need to do an Angels draft–all pitchers. Being in lopsided games can be detrimental to our hitters’ discipline as they just swing for fences for stats.

    Mrperkins
    Participant

    Great win. I was really surprised to see Whitley optioned out myself despite his really bad outing a few days ago. Maybe attitude or not 100% healthy?

    in reply to: Minor League Game Thread – Week of May 10-16 #184842
    Mrperkins
    Participant

    Kyle Leahy has posted some terrible numbers the last 2 years. It may be time for him to find a new calling in life.

    Mrperkins
    Participant

    I thought I read that Yepez has fairly neutral splits rh/lh the last couple years but I may have imagined that as my justification for starting him at DH at least 75% of time.

    in reply to: Minor League Game Thread – Week of May 3-9 #184520
    Mrperkins
    Participant

    Checking his game logs, has only gone less than 6 innings once this year, his first outing where he went 5 scoreless. Also, has not walked more than 1 in any of his 5 starts.

    in reply to: Minor League Game Thread – Week of May 3-9 #184519
    Mrperkins
    Participant

    I’ve been impressed with Zane Mills. Seems like he consistently puts up 5-7 innings of 1-3 run ball. Looks like in his outing last night 2 of his 3 runs came on a hr in the 7th. He may be kind of goofy looking but I like what I see.

    Mrperkins
    Participant

    In all seriousness, I wonder if he has had his eyes checked

    Mrperkins
    Participant

    During much of the 20+ years I have posted here, I laid my head down in the small burg of Ava,Mo near the Mo/Ark state line. But to reel in Mrs Perkins I had to pack my bags and head to that hotbed of civilization in SW Missouri,Springfield.

Viewing 25 posts - 201 through 225 (of 499 total)

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 25 years