2022 Cardinals MLB Game 71 thread – Wednesday, June 22 at Brewers

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2022 Cardinals MLB Game 71 thread – Wednesday, June 22 at Brewers

Viewing 24 posts - 26 through 49 (of 49 total)
  • Author
    1982 willie
    Participant

Pujols needs to stop swinging at the low stuff. He can’t really do anymore than a weak grounder with it at this point.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Yepez kind of looked like Charlie Brown on that error. Lucky it didn’t bounce off his head. But he’s never been a left fielder except in Ollie make believe land. At least Nado has us back on top.

1982 willie
    Participant

Oviedo so far looking good in this relief role. I’m sure someone is talking somewhere how he needs to get a start but I like him just where he’s at right now.

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

bling, why are you insulting Charlie Brown like that? I like Yepez, but let’s limit his innings in LF in close games.

willie is right, Oviedo looked very good in the 6th. How many innings will Cabrera get tonight?

Wooster
    Participant

Free

I vote qe start Yepez in all games with lh pitchers only wearing a batters helmet for safety!

1982 willie
    Participant

I think bader needs a day off. He’s just in a funk. Hit one ball hard into the shift but that last at bat was horrible. He should kill that pitcher, he took a perfect pitch to hit right down the middle, then weakly fouled off two pitches that had big hit me letters all over them before striking out on a way inside pitch. Day game tomorrow, give him the day off.

Bob Reed
    Participant

Free

Oviedo. Oviedo in to protect a 1-run lead in the 7th inning. I hate this manager. I actually am reduced to hatred. But hey, anybody but Woodford. That’s the managerial mantra.

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Oviedo gets 7 outs in fine fashion. In line to get his first big league win if Cabrera saves it. I assume Marmol will try to go with Cabrera for the 2-inning save.

Wooster
    Participant

Free

I agree Willie. He hasn’t done much lately at the plate. Wonder if being the goat over the sandbagging things got him in a funk. If it does you have to let it roll off your back like rain on a ducks back. You just do whats right and press on regardless. Hes much better than what hes been showing lately.

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Cards might have something going in the 8th. Edman leadoff double, Carlson walk, and Counsell has seen enough of Milner. Kelly in to face Goldy.

1982 willie
    Participant

Well I think he was still hot for a while after that Wooster. He tends to run hot n cold and I think a day off could help him though with O’Neil out can we sacrifice defense. I say put Donovan and nooty with Carlson and we will be fine. Just look at what edman did with the 2-0 pitch that was basically the same pitch bader took. While I have no issue with guys taking pitches when up in count, I still think you should be looking to swing at pitch and location. A 91 mph fastball down the middle tailing into your zone fits that bill. Just drop the bathead on it. It didn’t even seem to bother him that he took it so I say rest.

1982 willie
    Participant

Well that was a bad at bat by arenado. I know he hit the homer earlier but still. A sac fly would have been nice. I like arenado and like his signing but you look at arenado and compare him to pujols back in his prime in those situations and it’s not close. Pujols was money during those moments.

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Unfortunately, Goldy, Arenado and Nootbaar all follow up with weak ABs, so no runs.

1982 willie
    Participant

Well lots of strike outs tonight. That last pitcher for the brewers was pretty nasty though. If we can get the job done here in the bottom of the 9th, it will be a nice win in spite of all those strike outs.

Wooster
    Participant

Free

That sidearms got to be hard to hit.Pitches seem to be flat. Always wondered if you could just stick your bat out there and let it hit your bat? Up to defense now…

Bob Reed
    Participant

Free

Incredibly, this team has already lost twice this year after the opponent was literally down to their final strike. Will Cabrera make it a trifecta? (This specific kind of longshot loss probably happens maybe 3 or 4 times a decade. And it’s three this year, before July, if this game is lost.)

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

And so it is. Oviedo with his first W and Cabrera with the 2-inning save. 5-4 final.

1982 willie
    Participant

Tough win there, maybe a little lucky but got it done. At worst we will leave Milwaukee in first place tie.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Oviedo was the hero. His first career win. Maybe he can be a part of our bullpen solution. He looks better as a reliever than as a starter. No more Memphis shuttle.

Mrperkins
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I only got to follow this in spurts at work and see some video but the slow mo of Arenedo after his homer, Cabrera after the save….tonight might have been worth about 3 wins.

Wooster
    Participant

Free

Saved by the pen again. Double steal was neat in the 9th. We should have got one in there. Nados fly out was short center field but we Edman didn’t go. My guess is 50/50 you score there. Coulda been out maybe not. Still got a trail runner if you don’t make it. 1 run there is a big deal. Insurance. Close game 7 hits each. Its a winner! Go Cardinals!

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Wooster, pen does get an A+. I bet Warner wanted to send Edman if at all possible on Arenado’s pop because Noot was up next as the last chance, but judged it to be too darn short. On the replay, I thought he made the right call as it looked like a suicide mission to me, and the chance of a Noot hit, passed ball, wild pitch, etc. was the higher probability to score. You’re right, not scoring that inning hurt and I thought the Cards would pay for it. Then, in fine Cardinal closer fashion, Cabrera had to add extra suspense in the 9th….but, all’s well that ends well.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

We are in first place even though we have half a rotation, at best, and half a pen. And a lineup full of rookies, youngsters and guys playing out of usual position or multiple positions.

We’ve seen more use made of the running game than we have in years it seems like. A double steel, a Carlson bunt attempt. We’ve seen a few bunts/attempts by guys who see the shift.

We are seeing the pen usage morph away from a set group of late inning, one inning guys with rigidly defined roles. The announcers talked about how those late inning role guys need to be able to make back to back appearances and not be left in for so many pitches like Helsely was the other day. But we seem to be moving away from that model, perhaps in response to not really having enough of the right kind of guys to stick with it. Thompson and Oviedo are both multi inning guys and it is going to be very interesting to see how our pen usage evolves. Maybe even Woody will eventually factor into that situation.

I liked the sac fly by Albert after a hard fought AB in a critical situation.

Now lets see how the series finale unfolds.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Oviedo as a reliever is a guy I can get behind. I really hope we’ve seen the last of him in the rotation, as like Hicks I think he could help stabilize the pen. Nice win for sure, and hopefully we can finish out the series strong today.

Viewing 24 posts - 26 through 49 (of 49 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.