2022 Cardinals MLB Game 49 thread – Tuesday, May 31 vs. Padres

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2022 Cardinals MLB Game 49 thread – Tuesday, May 31 vs. Padres

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 77 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

6:45 p.m.
    RHP Adam Wainwright (5-4, 2.13) vs. TBA
    BSM // KMOX // WIJR
    Also BSSE and BSSW+

UPDATE: San Diego’s starter is LHP Blake Snell (0-2, 6.00)

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

I believe they said Blake Snell would pitch this one for the Padres.

What are we going to do with Arenado? Just let him ride it out until he comes around?

ZTR
    Participant

Free

Give him a day off but yeah, just gotta stick with him…

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

It would be nice to win or sweep a series against a good team.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Arenado had Sunday off against Burnes and Milwaukee.

And it’s starting to seem more and more obvious to me that part of the reason for his offensive numbers over the years was indeed Coors Field.

sjeff70
    Participant

Free

He’s predominately a pull hitter. He has the unique ability to stay behind the ball even when pulling outside pitches. In other words, he’s an excellent pull hitter.

I noticed Sunday he did go the other way once but it’s rare. I’ve said it before, they paid a lot of money for an excellent defender & a guy who can hit a lot of HRs IF pitchers don’t stay away. He’s also not a clutch hitter. So basically once Molina leaves, Goldy will be the only clutch hitter we have & in my opinion not as clutch as Molina.

I think clutch hitting is grossly undervalued & it should be one of attributes of a 30M dollar player.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I don’t understand criticism of Arenado. He had a great April, and now is slumping. But still on a pace for 30 homers and 100 rbis. I value Nolan for his superb defense, and he makes difficult plays look easy. He save runs. If I am wrong, we can always bring Carp back.

sjeff70
    Participant

Free

If you’re happy with him that’s all that matters, we are just fans. Carp is NYs problem, no thank you!

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

If only we had Arenados April with Goldschmidts May. It seems that they don’t get hot together. It will happen some time though.

sjeff70
    Participant

Free

Yes sir

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

How does one define “clutch”? Then we can look at actual data rather than opinion. Thanks.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

1. Tommy Edman (S) 2B
    2. Paul Goldschmidt (R) 1B
    3. Nolan Arenado (R) 3B
    4. Albert Pujols (R) DH
    5. Juan Yepez (R) LF
    6. Yadier Molina (R) C
    7. Edmundo Sosa (R) SS
    8. Harrison Bader (R) CF
    9. Brendan Donovan (L) RF

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Are we bringing Gorman along slowly? Is that the plan? Is that why he’s not in the lineup against a tough lefty?

Or are we not sold on his ability to hit lefties?

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Finding the criticism/concern of Arenado a bit difficult to comprehend, as we have far greater worries. Din-din tonight will be creamed chicken over two pieces of white toast, mashed potatoes, deviled eggs and 3 Popeye’s apple cinnamon pies with Breyer’s mint chocolate chip gracing it’s top.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Or are we not sold on his ability to hit lefties?

We already knew Gorman can’t hit lefties when he came up.

1982 willie
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Well arenado has had a history of slumping as the season goes along though it seems early. I think he will get hot again. I do think Coors field helped his numbers but I still expect him to do about what he did last year.

bccran
    Participant

Arenado is one of the best overall third basemen in the
    history of MLB. Net net.

sjeff70
    Participant

Free

I’m not big on studying stats, I derive my enjoyment from studying the games.

Cardinal in France
    Participant

Free

Careful there Pugs. Three apple pies plus mint chocolate ice cream sounds like you’re going a little strong on the dessert course. Perhaps a little seasonal fruit is in order to go along with that creamed chicken and mashed potatoes. For me, din-din was turkey breast and mushrooms in a white wine sauce with wild rice. I went a bit overboard on the turkey and mushrooms, so I skipped the dessert tonight.

I think “clutch” is the pedal on the left BW, or a hitter who ignores the brake and stomps on the gas when the situation requires it. Rah Cardinals!

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Let hope we don’t get 34 Game Score Adam struggling through 5 IP with 100 pitches. We need Ace Adam going 7+ shut down innings.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Yeah the wifey constantly gets on my case over my dessert selections, Cardinal In France. But since I have discovered the practice of eating a few cloves of raw garlic every morning, it’s given me a new lease on life as far as not being afraid to attack the dessert tray. Raw garlic is amazing. I do love your turkey breast & mushroom, smothered in white wine sauce entree, CIF. It’s one that I will steal and bring into play later this week. I hope you guys don’t mind, but I’m constantly utilizing many of your din-din selections for my own personal use.

Bob Reed
    Participant

Free

Arenado, career, bases empty: .818 OPS
    Career, with men on base: .948 OPS
    Career, men in scoring position: 1.004 OPS
    Spectacularly clutch, no question.

Other “clutch” variations:

Low leverage: .820 career OPS
    High leverage: .907 career OPS
    Again, quite clutch.

But for his career he has NOT hit well in innings 7-9, and he has also underperformed in the playoffs. So pick the “clutch” stats of your choice.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

All I need is to see his performance this year in what I call clutch situations. I won’t say he has failed miserably. So far he has. But the season is not even 1/3 over yet so the jury is still out.

If the Cardinals were down 4-3 with two outs in the last of the 9th and a runner at 3rd Arenado is the last guy I would want up at the plate.

r/Esteemed Rat

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

You’d rather have Knizner over Arenado in that crucial sort of situation, Rat? My top choice would be either Goldy or Edman with the game on the line.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

First pitch mere moments away. Who do we have onboard tonight?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 77 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years