2022 Cardinals MLB Game 71 thread – Wednesday, June 22 at Brewers

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2022 Cardinals MLB Game 71 thread – Wednesday, June 22 at Brewers

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 49 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

7:10 p.m.
    RHP Adam Wainwright (5-5, 3.06) vs. LH Eric Lauer (6-2, 3.57)
    BSM // KMOX
    Also BSSE and BSSW+

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Let’s win tonight, and take the series tomorrow.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

I assume Pujols will be in the lineup tonight against the lefty. I hope Goldschmidt is ready to go as well. And when might we see Gorman hit against a lefty? If he cannot hit lefties I am not sure the big leagues is the place for him right now.

Din-din today is the weekly trip to the Gasthof, the Amish restaurant. Fried chicken, fish, roast beef, mashed potatoes/gravy, green beans, noodles, dressing, sweet potatoes, some cherry cobbler, sweet tea, and some chocolate soft serve ice cream.

r/Esteemed Rat

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

If he cannot hit lefties I am not sure the big leagues is the place for him right now.

Yes, the guy who is clobbering righties, an immense need for this team right now, doesn’t belong in the big leagues cause he isn’t being forced to face lefties when there are much better options.

Rats, you know better than to make this bad a take.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

If Gorman cannot hit lefties, at the age of 22, he should NOT be in the big leagues. He should be somewhere working on hitting lefties.

Just like some of our pitchers. If they cannot throw the ball over the plate they should not be in the big leagues. They should be somewhere working on this. Like Rosenthal, Reyes, Hicks.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The Cardinals can’t hit right handed pitching worth a hill of beans because they are so righty dominant. Gorman crushes righties. Therefore, he is the best option to strengthen the lineup right now. They have numerous options against LHP that are more capable than Gorman would be…Pujols, Yepez, Edman, Sosa, even Donovan. So why would you force him to face lefties, even if he’s capable of doing so?

Put another way…are you right handed? If so, can’t you muddle through writing a few sentences with your left? I can. And if you can do that, why wouldn’t you use your left hand to write half the time, rather than your right? Because you have a better option, no? It’s the same logic. Gorman probably won’t hit lefties great but even if he’s just ok the Cards have quite a few right handed hitters who will be better than OK against LHP.

It’s not about “learning to hit lefties.” It’s about what helps the team right now, in a division race. I just wish they applied the same logic to Pujols when he’s run out there against RHP.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The Cardinals usually use the IL route instead of DFA. Saves face I guess.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

I am anxious to see how Gorman looks against the lefty. I don’t mean how many homeruns or hits he gets against the lefty. I mean I am anxious to see how he handles himself against the lefty.

Sure hope Front Row Amy is in attendance tonight. She wasnt there last night and me and Whitey Herdog were forced to watch the game.

r/Esteemed Rat

Wooster
    Participant

Free

After watching Gorman last night 4 for 4 with 2 homers I don’t see how you don’t carry him in the big leagues right now. Same thing for Donovan. Like Edman was not long ago I don’t see how you not play them.
    Din-din will be kabassa, macoroni and cheese and sauerkraut. Great gsme for us last night. Go Cardinals!

1982 willie
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Well goldy got us going with a two run homer tonight.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

He’s just trying to deflect away from the 4 for 4 night with 2 HR’s. Needs / wants the topic changed from successful to demote him.

It’s 5 o’clock somewhere.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

34 pitches after 2 IP, not bad. Like the way Adam got ahead that inning, pitcher counts.

Bob Reed
    Participant

Free

Gorman’s OPS versus lefties over the past two years in AA/AAA is awful, roughly .600

Bader’s major league career OPS v. LHP is .803

So if anyone was wondering why Gorman is playing tonight, or why Mr. Matchup Metrics Marmol persists in batting Bader at the bottom of the order against lefties…I have no idea.

1982 willie
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Just depends on the lefty. Bader didn’t look all that hot in his first at bat though not the only one.

Wooster
    Participant

Free

I think Bader gets 9th at times because he is good against lh since he bats right only. Edman switches so you get 2 chances at a lead off man on. Carlsons the guy I’m wondering about batting 2nd tonight. Hes got power at times but seems spotty to me. Off or On.Could be wrong haven’t looked over his stats.Glad Goldy got that dinger!

Wooster
    Participant

Free

Albert rbi scores Nado! Earning his money!

Wooster
    Participant

Free

Carlsons stats are actually pretty good. Batting mid 200’s and a switch hitter.Guess thats why hes batting 2nd. Brewers got a run. Up by one now. Waino working his way out of runners on base.

Wooster
    Participant

Free

Wainos so good. Mixing fastballs with his curves. Glad hes on our side!

1982 willie
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Well a few hard hit balls mostly at people but mostly a lot of weak hitting. This pitcher had been struggling but no better team to face to get your pitching stats back in line than the Cardinals.

Bob Reed
    Participant

Free

The idea that the 9th place hitter is a “second leadoff man” is a misdirection, a vile rhetorical trick. The 9th place hitter is the exact opposite of a leadoff man. We know this is true because that’s why pitchers hit 9th, back in the olde days. Because the 9th place slot is where your absolute worst hitter belongs. And 2nd-worst hits 8th.

Bader should never hit lower than 6th against a lefty, with the current Cardinal roster. And he could/should probably hit 1st or 2nd against most lefties. Versus a lefty he should never hit below any of our catchers, or Sosa, Yepez, Donovan, Gorman, and probably one or two others who don’t immediately spring to mind. Harrison has been in the majors since 2017. We know what he can and can’t do. But apparently Ollie Marmol only believes in the things he sees first-hand. Like a two-year-old.

1982 willie
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Well we pay for having a weaker defensive outfielder out there. It’s the risk you take when you go for offense. Waino throwing a lot of pitches and not through five yet. Just not hitting his spots or guys aren’t chasing whichever you feel.

1982 willie
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Well I prefer bader batting 9th but that’s just me. Having him possibly on in front of guys who can hit is a plus to me. Waino just didn’t really pitch well tonight. Another no decision at best. To Me he’s starting to look like a 40 year old pitcher. Still competes though.

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Not looking good for the Cards now, giving away the lead in the 5th. Yepez defense pretty much the deciding factor in this game unless the Brewers’ and Cards’ pens reverse their typical performances in this type of game tonight.

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

And just like that, Arenado grabs the lead back for the Cards in the 6th with a 2-run HR. Good thing that happened before the Brewers went to their pen. Oviedo needs to step up in the bottom half of the 6th. Nootbaar replaces Yepez in LF.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 49 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years