Trade Ideas/Acquisition Ideas/Non-Cards Rumors – 2021-2022

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Trade Ideas/Acquisition Ideas/Non-Cards Rumors – 2021-2022

Viewing 25 posts - 701 through 725 (of 1,129 total)
  • Author
    so_cal_cards_fan
    Participant

Free

The most practical and realistic strategy would be out of the bullpen,” said Mozeliak. “One is a shorter ramp-up to return to the big leagues (after a minor league rehab option). And, as we’re starting to envision our rotation with Jack coming back and the success Pallante is having, it seems like it might make more sense to back-fill in the bullpen.”

P-D, Mo on Hicks.

I like the idea of Hicks coming back to the pen, not keeping him under glass like Woodford.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I agree so cal. I would DFA all of the veteran low hanging fruit relievers and let the Memphis mafia take over. They couldn’t be any worse.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Thru 6-13-2022

Whitley .777 ops allowed
    Edman .776 ops

VerHagen .804 allowed
    Yepez .799

Matz .807 allowed
    Donovan .817

Naughton .831 allowed
    Soto .835

Wittgren .844 allowed
    Arenado .850

Oviedo .945 allowed
    Machado .929

McFarland .992 allowed
    Goldy .988

Liberatore 1.017 allowed
    Harper .999

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

You would think that, with all the talent the Cardinals have at the minor league level, they could put together a package for an elite bullpen arm. Maybe there isn’t anybody available that they like, or more likely, other teams are overvaluing their players and undervaluing what the Cardinals have, with of course, the Cardinals doing the same. It’s nice that the Cardinals are not in a position where they are desperate to make a trade.

CardsFanInChiTown
    Participant

Free

Mud, they also might be thinking that when/if Hicks gets healthy, he will be a big boost to the pen and give them a 4th solid option.

What the heck happened to Whitley. It wasn’t to long ago that the numbers suggested “closer of the future”.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I thought Whitley was going to be really good, also. I’m expecting him to figure it out again.

There’s no room at the Inn (i.e. MLB) for all the talent they have in the minors. I was just thinking that, rather than just look at a kid stuck at AA or AAA, maybe they could get an elite bullpen piece in a trade.

I hope Hicks has his head screwed on right when he comes back. He could be an elite bullpen piece.

CardsFanInChiTown
    Participant

Free

Add Junior Fernandez to that list of what the heck happened….

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Any chance we can deal in the division with the Pirates fir Bednar? His career numbers are very good. Would Fernandez and Perez be enough? I doubt they’d deal with us, but it would be great to get another power arm.

CardsFanInChiTown
    Participant

Free

DeJong to the Angels makes a ton of sense, he would actually be a huge offensive upgrade at SS for them, and we know his glove is great. Alone he wouldn’t bring much back, but if they could add another guy or two, maybe we could get someone from their top 20 prospects.

Just throwing out an idea here.

Angels get: DeJong, Woodford (since they don’t use him), Moises Gomez (the K’s scare me) and Junior Fernandez

Cards get: Ky Bush (LHSP, AA, #4), Alejandro Hidalgo (RHSP, A-, #17) and a player or two off their 40 man roster to help even things out

That is actually probably light on the return for the Cards?

Cards667
    Participant

Free

DeJong has negative trade value, Woodford’s is pretty low, Gomez was a minor league free agent and while having a good season the trade value still isn’t going to be high, and Junior has little value.
    To trade DeJong they are going to have to attach a decent piece to him and few teams would still take him on. Like I’ve said many times it will have to resemble the Craig and Kelly for Lackey to get anything done. I think Fernandez trade value is probably as a secondary or 3rd piece in a deal for a reliever. Like a lower level prospect and Fernandez for Staumont or something like that. Maybe Fernandez and another lower value minor league reliever for David Robertson, if the Cubs will deal with the Cardinals.

so_cal_cards_fan
    Participant

Free

I am so done with McFarland, no offense to him and his loved ones. The whole point of keeping a few cheap (sunk cost, value 0) relievers is to eat innings when we are losing badly. This whole concept doesn’t work if they can’t get outs!

CardsFanInChiTown
    Participant

Free

Cards667, keep in mind the Angels don’t have a single prospect in the top 100 on mlb pipeline. So their #4 might not even be in our top 10. With Trout not getting any younger and Ohtani able to leave soon, I’d think they would want to patch as many holes as possible.

1) I would consider DeJong about even value. His contract isn’t as awful as people claim, and if he does start hitting, they would have two option years. Compared to what they have been running out there, he would be an improvement with upside.
    2) Woodford- I disagree he has no value. He would be an upgrade to the backend of their rotation or bullpen, easily.
    3) Gomez- Yes he was a FA signing who has obviously figured something out. Remember Pujols was a 13th round pick?
    4) Fernandez- He can be left out, more of an attempt to clear a 40 man spot

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Using the trading simulator site I plugged in those names.

Bush has a trade value of 3.9
    Hidalgo has a trade value of 2.0

DeJong has a trade value of -6.5
    Woodford has a trade value of 0
    Fernandez has a trade value of 0
    Gomez is not listed

So it would be us receiving 5.9 and the Angels receiving negative 6.5. I don’t see the Angels doing that unless we throw in a lot of money or better prospects.

https://www.baseballtradevalues.com/trade-simulator/

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Very lenient -6.5mil on PDJ.

He’s owed at least double of that and can’t hold down an mlb job.

Mrperkins
    Participant

Free

To Yankees–
    Paul Dejong
    Drew VanHagen
    Tj McFarland
    Lars Nootbar

To Cardinals:
    Joey Gallo

Yanks have injuries in their bullpen but including VanHagen and McFarland more to even salary up and save face for front office on moves that didn’t work out. Gallo gets out of the New York limelight and performs better? Still draws walks and 2 time gold glove winner. DeJong gives them infield defence, seems like they always need. Include Nootbar as incentive to Yanks to trade as a LH power possibility that is being passed up by Burly on our side. We clear 40 man spots and dump our trash. Yanks take a look at the bp arms and keep or dump. Alternatively the Yanks could send cash to even out the deal but I like this idea. Gallo gone after this year.

Mrperkins
    Participant

Free

Maybe, MAYBE, this would encourage Ollie to play Pujols vs righty less by putting Gallo in the field and DHing Yepez, Carlson (hammy), or Donovan.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Interesting idea Mr. P but I think the Cards should be looking for bullpen help.

Cards667
    Participant

Free

Still say DeJong and a prospect to Detroit for Andrew Chafin. Detroit has absolutely no production in their IF and could possibly be willing to take a chance on DeJong. He could move to 2B or 3b for them or play SS and move Baez off SS. Just a matter of what kind of prospect it would take for them to take that chance. Could then cut ties with McFarland or maybe Detroit would take him on too.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I’m thinking maybe I’d trade Nootbaar and Fernandez for Staumont and a low a prospect. That would also clear the way to add Burleson.

Cards667
    Participant

Free

KC wouldn’t do that. Staumont’s value is high. That trade simulator often referenced on here has his value at 20. And while I think that’s high it’s going to take quite a bit to get KC to part, with his last 3 seasons and hasn’t reached arbitration yet. But I agree Nootbaar is a fit, but way more than Fernandez, more like Woodford and Oviedo/Rondon….And that simulator still says I’m WAY light. Fernandez probably paired with a low level guy could bring a David Robertson, which I wouldn’t mind if the Cubs want to help us out. I do worry what the BB% could be though with Staumont and Robertson, but at least they miss barrels our current middle relievers can’t do at all.
    But I agree, they need to find takers or cut ties with McFarland, Wittgren, VerHagen and have something like

Mikolas, Wainwright, Flaherty, Hudson, Pallante
    Thompson(L), Hicks, Robertson, Chafin(L), Staumont, Cabrera(L), Gallegos, Helsley

? – Matz(L)

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

667, I like your ideas. I am not sure the Cards would do it, but Chafin and Robertson would be great fits. Not sure why we didn’t pursue Robertson in the off-season. Only getting paid 3.5 million. Would think the Cubs would deal with us too.

Maybe Nootbaar and Loutos for Staumont?

Failing that deal, I’d offer Fernandez and perhaps an A player for Robertson.

Maybe Luken Baker for Chafin and a young prospect.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Would think the Cubs would deal with us too

I would be very surprised if they would. What was the last meaningful Cardinal-Cub trade? Leon Durham for Bruce Sutter?

Mrperkins
    Participant

Free

Todd Zeile Mike Morgan?

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual
    jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Yep, I stumped for Chafin and Tyler Anderson all winter, but our club wouldn’t cough up 6.5mil and 8.5mil on one year deals. Instead they threw 44mil at Mutz and another 6 or 7mil on DH’s to block Yepez.

Viewing 25 posts - 701 through 725 (of 1,129 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years