Joe Girardi

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    bccran
    Participant

Just fired bv the Phils. Grew up a Cardinal fan in Peoria, Illinois. Let’s go get him. Time for an experienced manager.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Too many close ties to the north side of Chicago for my liking. Let the cubbies employ him.

1982 willie
    Participant

Paid - Annual

If he was fired by the Phillies, why would we want him. Plus he’s associated with the cubs so no.

Mrperkins
    Participant

Free

He is a beneficiary of the idea right now that ex-catchers who are cerebral should be great managers, especially if they are fairly young. Hinch, Matheny, Ausmus, Soscia, David Ross….etc. Some just aren’t made out for it.

bccran
    Participant

Proven success as a manager, and great with young players.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I disagree with you, cranny. I want to give Marmol some more time. We haven’t been winning more games partly because the pitching has been unreliable, but also because of underperforming players like Dickerson, DeJong, and O’Neill. I don’t think another manager would help with that. It’s possible, maybe even likely, that the players that are underperforming are having trouble because of no contact with trainers and other staff during the offseason, and they just got out of shape. Marmol is still figuring out how to handle pitchers, but he’s getting better at it. I like Marmol’s willingness to bring rookies up and give them a chance. LaRussa would never do that. All he would do is harp on the front office about what he wants them to do. Matheny was a lost cause from the beginning.

1982 willie
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Well I’m not big on marmol but he has to have more time to really evaluate. The time to go with an experienced manager was before the season, now best just to ride it out for a bit.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I wouldn’t want to hire Girardi but he is also associated with the Cards. He got a few games with us in 2003 in his final year as a player.

Regardless, the Cards aren’t making another managerial change this year.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Girardi is the opposite of what Mo wants. Matheny, Schildt and Marmol is the template, all with zero mlb managing experience when hired as managers by STL.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The one that got away was Terry Francona. We interviewed him when we hired Matheny.

858booyah
    Participant

Free

Christ Pugs who cares!

If he could manage you wouldn’t want him if he had done something? He’s accomplished some things in pinstripes but at least bring something to the table other than Cub hatred. I wouldn’t want him because we have a manager and he’s known as a butcher of a bullpen.

Let’s just throw them all out. If Fergie and Banks ( we could’ve had him ) were available you wouldn’t want them either? Hell bro!

1982 willie
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Some of us hate the cubs with a passion of a thousand burning suns. So no we aren’t in to getting cub castoffs especially if you can get equal payout other places. Now if they are willing to part with a few more no name guys such as lou Brock, we will take them just to save them.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

What disrespect for Marmol!

If they wanted an experienced manager, they would have hired one six months ago.

If they want to eat some contract money, Marmol would not be the place to start.

Can you imagine the hit to the Cardinals’ reputation if they fire a rookie manager for no cause who posted a .577 record in his first 52 games?

Here are the records of every manager in team history. In his brief time, Marmol’s record is better than every Cardinals skipper since 1950 and no. 9 all-time.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/STL/managers.shtml

Other than that…

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Ollie got his big break and needs to stay on script to make the most of it. Its not his fault he doesn’t really have a rotation at this point.

bccran
    Participant

Well then, how about bringing him in as a hitting coach and bench coach alongside Skip?

And Brian, thanks for posting the managerial records. Isn’t it interesting with Matheny having a higher winning percentage than Whitey, Tony, Red, Torre, and Rickey. And yet all posters seem to do is besmirch him. Same way with Shildt.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Good

Some of us hate the cubs with a passion of a thousand burning suns

Guilty as charged too, Willie. I almost relish the cubbies losing more than I do the Cards winning. Though I must admit that my hatred for the cubs wanes some when they field a bunch of ninny goats such as what they’ve put on display these past two years. And to the esteemed Booyah…..of course I would have gladly taken Fergie and Ernie off their hands, just as we were in taking Lou Brock. But there’s a distinction between players and managerial/executive personnel. These older cub employees are basically damaged goods and vastly beyond repair. The young cub ballplayer can most likely be mentally reconditioned to a state of near normalcy.

bccran
    Participant

Another note about Oli. I think he’s a good man and could very well develop into a competent manager. But his track record as a manager is only a little over 2 months old. And during that short period of time, he’s had his share of games against weaker teams like the Reds, Pirates, Royals, Orioles, Marlins, Diamondbacks, Cubs, etc.

1982 willie
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I didn’t really have a issue with Metheny far as his winning and losing. His style rubbed some players the wrong way he’s one of those guys a organization has to be a hundred percent behind to work plus those types have a small shelf life before you have to move on. Marmol is inexperienced and it shows and I would have preferred an experienced manager but I think they would have stayed with shildt if they wanted that. This is all about having mostly a puppet who doesn’t rock the boat. It’s why I’m not sure this team no matter the talent unless it’s just overwhelming is ever going to win another title while under this ownership. They are happy as long as they are in contention cause then they feel the team is printing money. Far as winning percentages, can’t compare the different eras. Whitey was smart and along with ownership went all in when they thought they could compete which meant they weren’t going to be as good some years. They didn’t try being consistent. Also the other teams in our division we’re generally more competitive back then, don’t forget that. Now a lot more tanking going on.

LACardFan
    Participant

Free

Matheny lost the clubhouse with his religious indoctrination and players coming and going as they please.

Is Marmol to blame for half the starting position players underperforming this year (Yadi, DeJong, Carlson, O’Neill)? What about the “great” offseason of the front office, who left us in a pitching bind the first week of the season, as soon as Flaherty went down?

Finally, Pujols on Marmol

Cardinal in France
    Participant

Free

I’m rather ambivalent on the subject of Marmol. I think there were probably better choices out there when the job came open. I agree with those who believe he was selected because he is somebody the powers know and who they think is unlikely to give Mo any sass. No matter the reasons for hiring him, I don’t see how any rational person can make a judgment on his performance now with such a small sample size.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I almost relish the cubbies losing more than I do the Cards winning.

Do or do not, there is no ‘almost’. I actually have a Steve Bartman bobblehead, so my cred is indisputable.

bccran
    Participant

LA –

Matheny didn’t “lose the clubhouse” for the reasons you denoted. He got into it big time with 3 players whom he felt put the name on the back of the uniform ahead of the name on the front.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I have nothing against Marmol. He is doing fine. I was just pointing out that we could have replaced a HOF manager with another HOF caliber manager but didn’t.

bccran
    Participant

Guess they just want sycophants.

Mrperkins
    Participant

Free

I hadn’t heard anything about Matheny’s “religious indoctrination”. I’m not skeptical but I wasn’t able to keep up as much for a couple years. Can someone elaborate? And which 3 players are the ones who thought their name was more important than the one on the back?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.