Cards667

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 25 posts - 851 through 875 (of 991 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • Cards667
    Participant

    Free

    By taking the money up front in lease money they have guaranteed money for the year no matter what. If attendance plummets, which it hasn’t been great, then they still are getting their rent money. If it was based solely on sales there could be a huge percentage +/-. Operating the restaurants themselves would be a huge, unnecessary cost. The owner is going to want as much predictability in his books as he can get. They may get a small percentage of sales money based on logo and copyright things, but the real money from concessions is paid in advance to lease that property out to whatever food service is the highest bidder for it, and probably over a multi year deal for even more predictability.

    Cards667
    Participant

    Free

    Edman will be their Taylor. I fully expect them to go after a SS in the market, probably Seager and overpay for his above average left handed bat sacrificing the defense and injury history (I like Story but he hasn’t been great the last 2 years, out side of Colorado questions, and defense this season is way down. Saw his throwing speed has really suffered this year) , and trade DeJong for whatever they can get to whoever thinks they can fix his bat and utilize his steady defense.
    1. Carlson RF (S)
    2. Goldschmidt 1B (R)
    3. Arenado 3B (R)
    4. Seager SS (L)
    5. O’Neill LF (R)
    6. Gorman 2B (L)
    7. Bader CF (R)
    8. Molina C (R)

    Edman (S), Sosa (R), ???, veteran C (expect Knizner traded and commit to Herrera as the future)

    Don’t know if it’s the best idea, but what I expect them to try to do.

    Cards667
    Participant

    Free

     “Money is floating around this stadium like angel dust. Every person has two drinks some a whole lot more, throw in lots of food merchandise.”

    Pretty sure that’s not how the concessions work. I am all but certain the cardinals own and lease the space and the concession stand is actually owned by a different company. Cardinals still would be able to rent the spaces for a pretty penny and with known higher attendance, but it makes much more business sense to take the guaranteed rent money than try to run a restaurant.
    I know that’s how minor some minor league teams were running it, 15 years ago, but still makes sense for teams to do it that way.

    Cards667
    Participant

    Free

    “players should just rub some dirt on it like in the good old days! Bring back tobacco”

    100%!!!! Way too many pretty boys! I’m 37 and feel like an “old man” or my dad here, but I can’t stand the showboating, flashy, and what seems to me as a general disrespect for the game. LaRussa became manager when I was in the 6th grade and I loved his style and grew up with it and loved that people hated him and still do. No nonsense, just get the job done. Why I always liked Rolen, Vina, Lynn just to name a few. I watched Lynn pitch today and still miss him. And I hate the “it’s 2021 (insert whatever change you want here)” Heard an interview with Votto yesterday taking about how he likes the bat flipping and trash talking in the game now and how different it is from the “put your head down and act like you’ve been there” when he came into the league. I really miss the guys who act like they done it before and have some respect for the game.

    in reply to: Jon Lester acquired from Washington… #168714
    Cards667
    Participant

    Free

    Gant was better than this.

    in reply to: Cardinals get JA Happ from the Twins… #168516
    Cards667
    Participant

    Free

    I have no problem trading Gant either. While I always liked him, but the BB were always high and this season were out of control, then factor in only 1 more year of control and a raise over his $2.1 million and it’s easy to see he was possibly a non tender this off season. But J.A. Happ??

    in reply to: Jon Lester acquired from Washington… #168515
    Cards667
    Participant

    Free

    Why give up Thomas for Lester? You can’t tell me anybody was offering more than to take him off their hands for cash and the Cardinals actually gave them something. And that something is a toolsy guy with some promise, even if it’s “just” as a utility OF guy. If they’d had given up Justin Williams I would have liked it more, but still not come close to understanding what they are doing.

    in reply to: Fans Behind Home Plate #167260
    Cards667
    Participant

    Free

    I have a family member who worked for a company here in Southern Indiana that had season tickets right behind home plate at the old Busch. There were 5 or 6 people who got to use them and they only got to pick, I believe, 2 games to attend. The rest all went to customers and clients. I’d assume that’s how a lot of season tickets are. My dad and I did get to use them a time or 2, back in the McGwire days when I was in middle school or high school.

    in reply to: Gallegos As Closer? #167259
    Cards667
    Participant

    Free

    Reyes as a starter could be the 2nd pitcher since 1980 to get to 130 BB, and be in some elite air with Randy Johnson’s 144 in 1992 and Johnson’s 152 in 1991. Reyes would only need about 150 innings to get to 130 and about 172 innings to challenge Randy Johnson for the most since Nolan Ryan’s multiple season’s in the 70’s, but also threw 300+ innings.

    * my stats my not be 100% correct. This was an attempt at humor to ease the pain.

    Cards667
    Participant

    Free

    Irrelevant is what I meant to say.

    Cards667
    Participant

    Free

    “Reyes is a National League All-Star for very good reason.”

    I don’t care for the All-Star stuff, or think All-Star selections are relevant. But the only Cardinal who was worthy of being an “All-Star” is Gio, and he wasn’t there.

    Cards667
    Participant

    Free

    If Arenado is going to get the day off and Carpenter play I don’t understand him hitting 3rd. Edman, Carlson, Goldschmidt, O’Neill…or Carlson, Goldschmidt, O’Neill, DeJong…or I don’t know. Just Carpenter hitting 3rd doesn’t seem like the best option to me. Maybe he surprises us.

    Cards667
    Participant

    Free

    Rats, I understand what you’re saying. Reyes 7.3 BB/9
    Cabrera 5.3 BB/9
    Helsley 5.7 BB/9
    Yes, Reyes has been dependable in closing out all saves chances, as the media likes to make the big deal about, but his 3.66 FIP will tell you his 1.45 ERA had a lot of luck in it.
    Cabrera is all over. Sometimes I like him, sometimes he has no clue where the ball is going.
    Helsley to me is the most frustrating. Maybe because I have liked him coming up and been a guy I always thought had a lot of potential even not being really highly touted. But also because when he’s “right” he is flat filthy, like yesterday. And when he’s not it is very painful to watch.

    Cards667
    Participant

    Free

    Well Carpenter is hitting 3rd today

    Cards667
    Participant

    Free

    I was at the game today, got off work at 7am this morning, made the 2.5 hr drive from southern Indiana, watched the game, grabbed early dinner, 2.5 hour drive home, and I’m ready for bed. But it was the first game I’ve attended since 2018. I understand it is a Wednesday afternoon vs the worst team in baseball, but the attendance and atmosphere were both very lacking from any of my many past games attending.
    Glad I got to see a W though!

    Cards667
    Participant

    Free

    Williams is miserable with no business on a big league roster.
    Thomas hasn’t produced in his limited chances.
    Bader is hurt.
    Need Edman in the OF where he proven able to play.

    Cards667
    Participant

    Free

    LHP for AZ tonight. Playing the RH bats.

    Cards667
    Participant

    Free

    “There’s been a bunch of rain move through the Midwest the last couple of days. Here in SW Indiana we’ve gotten almost two inches in the last 48 hours”

    Yes we have! And I just moved into my new house and the yard isn’t done and I have wash outs EVERYWHERE.

    Cards667
    Participant

    Free

    Would it have been smart to tell Edman to get picked off in the 9th? He starts the 10th on 2nd base and Goldschmidt, Arenado, Molina up.

    With how Goldy has not been producing, it makes sense. I like your line of thinking, Cards667.

    When Goldschmidt got 2 strikes is when I thought Edman should have just kept getting a lead bigger and bigger and not stopping forcing Kimbral to throw over or step off and then just run into the out. And start fresh in the 10th with Edman on 2nd and the only “reliable” bats up. It doesn’t matter with the Reyes giving up the bomb, but just a strategy that came to mind. I also don’t know that taking the bat out of a middle of the order bat, even with 2 outs, in the bottom of the 9th, tie game, is the right play. I’m sure some computer could give the percentage on what would be the better strategy.

    Cards667
    Participant

    Free

    Would it have been smart to tell Edman to get picked off in the 9th? He starts the 10th on 2nd base and Goldschmidt, Arenado, Molina up.

    Cards667
    Participant

    Free

    I wish they’d start at 6:10. I work a swing shift. When I’m on days I can watch and still get to bed at 9-930, evenings doesn’t matter but still prefer 6 and listen on the radio, and midnignts I like when they are on the west coast, can get a few innings at home before work and the last 3 innings on the radio at work. But over all I prefer 6:10 start. I go to bed early when on “normal” hours.

    in reply to: What’s Wrong With Goldy?? #159834
    Cards667
    Participant

    Free

    Yes I did.
    2012-2018:(162 game avg)
    40 2B, 32 HR, .299/.400/.535 146 OPS+
    2019:
    25 2B, 34 HR, .260/.346/.476 116 OPS+
    2020: (times 2.56)
    33 2B, 15 HR, .304/.417/.466 145 OPS+

    2019 saw his BB% drop and his ISO drop. 2020 his OPS+ looks on par, backed by career low K% and a tick up over career avg. BB%. But it was the lowest slugging and ISO of his career. 2020 also saw a down tick in his barrel % and exit velocity. Stack that with his 2021 start of even lower barrel %, BB%, ISO, higher K% and yes there is reason to be concerned.

    Edit: before someone asks why 2.56. His career average 12-18 PA/2020 PA=2.56

    in reply to: What’s Wrong With Goldy?? #159828
    Cards667
    Participant

    Free

    I think there is reason for some concern. He hasn’t looked the same, 33 years old, still owed 3 years $78 million after this year. I’m not saying he’s done, but there is reason for concern. I understand last year he only played 58 games and only played 25 games into this year, but I’m at least concerned, not yet a full blown worry.

    in reply to: What’s Wrong With Goldy?? #159783
    Cards667
    Participant

    Free

    I said when they made the trade Cardinals would “win” short term, Arizona would “win” long term and the trade and extension would look bad by the end of it. Goldy slow start and Carson’s hot start has me wondering how soon it looks bad. Say Carson was blocked or whatever, he and Weaver could make this trade look bad if Goldy deteriorates quickly.

    Cards667
    Participant

    Free

    I think I just lost Cardinal broadcasts in the middle of this game. Great.

Viewing 25 posts - 851 through 875 (of 991 total)

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 25 years