2021 Cardinals MLB Game 109 thread – Friday, August 6 vs. Royals

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2021 Cardinals MLB Game 109 thread – Friday, August 6 vs. Royals

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 88 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

7:15 p.m.
    RHP Adam Wainwright (9-6, 3.53) vs. LHP Mike Minor (8-9, 5.31)
    BSM // KMOX // WIJR
    Also BSSW+ in Oklahoma and Arkansas and BSSO in TN, KY and MS

ZTR
    Participant

Free

Too little, too late.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Maybe Adam can put out the dumpster fire on Clark St.

ZTR
    Participant

Free

The organization has already reevaluated its goals for the 2021 season – I would like for them to explain them to the fan base so that we could play along at home.

We can guess and surmise but I’d like to hear it from them.

ZTR
    Participant

Free

Milwaukee is 65-44 with 55 games to play.

If they go 26-27 they would finish 91-71 which is a stretch considering how many teams have already thrown in towel on 2021 / playing against AAA September rosters.

The Cards sit at 53-55. To get to 91 wins they need to finish 38-16. That’s a .703 clip. So playing .700 baseball the rest of the way will overtake the Brewers IF the Brewers finish the season flat.

Those are pretty stark numbers.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Mo seemed pretty clear at the deadline when he said they still hope to make some noise in the division. That told me that they realize the obvious – that first place isn’t likely to happen. Realistically, they are playing for the one-game wild card and may not have done enough to even achieve that.

My biggest question is on the business side. Do they attribute the empty seats to COVID resurgence or fan apathy? Another bad year on the books could limit spending this winter, which would be a dangerous cycle.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Do they attribute the empty seats to COVID resurgence or fan apathy?

Rather than asking to what do we attribute the empty seats, should the question be to what do we attribute the filled seats?

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Mo seemed pretty clear at the deadline when he said they still hope to make some noise in the division.

Cue the sound of the air being let out of the large balloon please.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

My biggest question is on the business side. Do they attribute the empty seats to COVID resurgence or fan apathy? Another bad year on the books could limit spending this winter, which would be a dangerous cycle.

If they are assuming the empty seats are due to Covid then they are being extremely naive or have their heads buried in the sand.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

A .500 team drawing 25,000-30,000 isn’t bad.

bccran
    Participant

Check the TV ratings. That’s equally important.

Wooster
    Participant

Free

Just saw a headline “Braves Rally in the 8th and 9th”! Sheesh it looked more like free run giveaway to me last night. I suppose how they want to finish this season out is up to them. I at least would NOT want to see Galleagos or Reyes at all for at least a week. And NOT pitching 8th and 9th inning till next year. Do something different.We have met the enemy and he is us!

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

For some places maybe. Not acceptable in St. Louis.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

For some places maybe. Not acceptable in St. Louis.

Are you talking about the .500 team part or the 25,000-30,000 part?

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

I am assuming that Jim Bouton, I mean, Ball Four, I mean Alex Reyes will not be available for this game tonight?

I think I am going to call him Bouton Reyes. After all, he does what Jim Bouton wrote about, that being throw four balls all the time.

r/Esteemed Rat

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

.500 / 25,000-30,000 is the new .580 / 44,500

Just increase the per fan expenses and it all works out.

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Rat, clever Ball Four reference. Bouton wrote a sequel I believe. It wasn’t called Ball Sixteen was it?

Jim Bouton was the winning pitcher of the first MLB game I attended in 1970.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Does anyone know what Reyes is hitting on the radar gun now days?

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

1. Tommy Edman (S) 2B
    2. Dylan Carlson (S) RF
    3. Paul Goldschmidt (R) 1B
    4. Nolan Arenado (R) 3B
    5. Tyler O’Neill (R) LF
    6. Yadier Molina (R) C
    7. Harrison Bader (R) CF
    8. Paul DeJong (R) SS
    9. Adam Wainwright (R) P

CardsFanInChiTown
    Participant

Free

Regarding the fans in the seats and is it Covid or not a good team, I almost always make it down toward the end of the season for a long weekend and catch a night and afternoon game preferably. I could care less about Covid, but with the team out of it, that won’t happen this year, I can go to a park and watch people walk.

I’m actually looking into going to Peoria for a game or two to see Walker, Winn and Torres….. at least I could hope to see some light at the end of the tunnel!

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

We all need to come to grips with the fact that our team is a fairly lousy one. A sound case can be pretty effectively made that we’re not nearly as good as our record indicates. This does not mean we love them any less…..well maybe just a smidgen less. Loving losers is never an easy thing to do, but most people instinctively handle the situation. Most of us here will still carry on in life without a hitch, but some, and I won’t name names, will have their entire lives turned upside down over the Cardinals’ frustratingly horrendous play. RatsBuddy.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

A sound case can be pretty effectively made that we’re not nearly as good as our record indicates.

Its a good thing we are in a bad division.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

We are playing out the string now, so get DeJong out of the lineup.

As for the young guys in Memphis, I do not see getting them going at this level as all that important right now. Maybe you give Liberatore a couple of late September starts, but I doubt I would even do that. I would start Woodford every five days though.

Probably better to take a fresh look in Spring and see who steps up to win jobs. And in Spring, for heavens sake coach these young pitchers that command is more important than lighting up the speed gun. If you cannot throw strikes, it does not matter how fast the ball gets to the catcher. You lose.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

If you cannot throw strikes, it does not matter how fast the ball gets to the catcher. You lose.

It is not just strikes. If it catches too much plate it also doesn’t matter how fast it gets there. Everybody can hit the hard stuff now days. It is much more important to have good enough control to throw strikes without putting it down the middle, change speeds, mix up pitches. It seems maybe this draft they finally came to their senses.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 88 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.