Jon Lester acquired from Washington…

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Jon Lester acquired from Washington…

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 64 total)
  • Author
    GameCard
    Participant

Free

The Cardinals and Nationals agreed to a last-minute trade sending veteran left-hander Jon Lester from Washington to St. Louis, reports Jesse Rogers of ESPN (via Twitter).

GameCard
    Participant

Free

For Lane Thomas

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Well we are going to lead the league in aging LH pitchers.

Kim
    LeBlanc
    Happ
    Lester

Lane Thomas needed a change of scenery.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

1982 willie
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Well we don’t lose much but I’m no sure we really gained anything. Thomas will probably start hitting for Washington.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Make it stop.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

By acquiring Lester and Happ that probably means that Oviedo can spend the rest of the season in Memphis, which is where he needs to be for now.

The rest of the season:

Waino
    Kim
    Lester
    Happ
    LeBlanc

Woodford?
    Flaherty?
    Mikolas?

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Don’t these moves push Leblanc to the pen?

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Does Bengay come in a 55 gallon drum?

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Don’t these moves push Leblanc to the pen?

Probably so once Flaherty and Mikolas come back but LeBlanc is still starting tonight.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

This move was like 7-8 years too late. But it’s better than nothing I suppose.

LoganAlpha30X7
    Participant

Free

Maybe we should change the St L on the uniforms to AARP…or not, or it’s a sign that Flaherty and Mikolas are not as healthy as some would hope…

bccran
    Participant

Good moves to tide us over.

Cardinal in France
    Participant

Free

Oh, be still my heart! Thy dreams have come true. Your beloved Cardinals have enriched their roster and now will be hurling their way toward the playoffs!

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

CIF may have gotten some bad escargot.

UncleDenny
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Wouldn’t they have smarter to go with kids with upside in the rotation? At least that’s a step toward better teams in the future. Lester and Happ will be long gone after the season. Such a patchwork pitching staff! Ouch!

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Jon Lester???????

Really???????

TexasCard
    Participant

Free

SMH no matter how this turns out over the next two months of baseball. How these people have jobs in baseball is beyond me.

forsch31
    Participant

Free

Another non-factor trade. Trying to catch lightening in a bottle to get to the post-season.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

The organization must think a couple of old lefhanders will give us a shot at post season. I would rather keep Gant and go with what we have, but one plus might be allowing Oviedo to develop on the farm.

Like another poster commented, we can look for Thomas to start tearing it up. He will be the Patrick Wisdom of Washington.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

My fear had been if Thompson won again tonight they would promote him and just leave him here to get crushed rather than burn an option, but that should be off the table.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I don’t mind this trade. You could tell Thomas wasn’t going to be long term for this management team and Lester adds innings.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

As long as we keep “Lucky” LeBlanc in the fold, our wildest post season dreams can still come to fruition. Lester? Just three years ago I would have been turning somersaults with this news.

bccran
    Participant

Like the move. Has excellent experience and can mentor the youngsters.

1982 willie
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I think in the long run, the Cardinals did the right thing. To get any good players, we were going to have to give up possibly great prospects. As far out as we are and the fact that we have to pretty much win the division to make playoffs, it was the wise decision. When you first look at them, they don’t feel that way but good decisions were made. And possibly if these guys throw strikes, we can at least hopefully compete better.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 64 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years