Gallegos As Closer?

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Gallegos As Closer?

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

I know often times there can be a knee-jerk reaction after something bad happens all of a sudden. But Reyes walks have happened all year, not sure all of a sudden. So, after last night’s meltdown, and considering the staggering number of walks that Reyes has given up this year, any reason why we wouldnt switch over to Gallegos as the late inning closer? He is a better pitcher than Reyes right now and hasnt walked near as many and has fanned more hitters.

Reyes has now walked 37 in 44 innings. Gallegos 10 walks in 49 innings. And yes, I am well aware that Reyes was an All Star. But he sure didnt perform like it last night.

r/Esteemed Rat

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

The first sentence says it all.

bccran
    Participant

Not a bad idea, Rats. If they move Reyes to the rotation and Hicks isn’t ready, Gallegos will probably be our 2022 closer anyway.

colhusker
    Participant

Free

No need to panic as ugly as last night was, and it was UGLY. Reyes walks are an issue, but he is not alone. Heck did I hear correctly that there have been 22 bases loaded walks this year? 22, yikes just way to many free passes in that situation as well as when they are not loaded. Pitching and hitting coaches both need to be told fix the issues or we will look for someone new to do it.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Frankly, I have thought that Gallegos should have been the closer all year long and I am certainly not basing that on just last night. Reyes has had a good year and has nasty stuff but his control issues have been a persistent problem. You can only do the Mitch Williams act of walking the bases loaded then striking them out for so long. Gallegos just takes care of his business with less drama.

WHIP is one of my favorite stats. Reyes has a WHIP of 1.42 and Gallegos has a WHIP of .65.

David
    Participant

Free

I never thought Reyes had that closer mentality and we should just have a closer by committee until we get to the trade deadline.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Managers tend to get in too much of a “push button” mentality, where they use this guy in the 7th inning, this guy in the 8th etc.

But you really need to be aware of how your guys is throwing first, and not so much about the role.

Shildt is not the only guy who does this. The problem with Shildt is he also takes the push button approach to batting orders. Like the other night when he gave Arenado the night off and put Carpenter at third, but plugged him into the 3 spot. That is just asinine.

If you make a change in the batting order, look at who you have and adjust accordingly.

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Closers walk a tight line when it comes to the confidence needed to get the job done. Last night might have thrown a fork in the road. Let’s see if Reyes takes it. But yeah, pay no attention to that 1.42 WHIP of his that’s been nosediving the last several games. You know that’ll keep serving him well.

Cards667
    Participant

Free

Reyes as a starter could be the 2nd pitcher since 1980 to get to 130 BB, and be in some elite air with Randy Johnson’s 144 in 1992 and Johnson’s 152 in 1991. Reyes would only need about 150 innings to get to 130 and about 172 innings to challenge Randy Johnson for the most since Nolan Ryan’s multiple season’s in the 70’s, but also threw 300+ innings.

* my stats my not be 100% correct. This was an attempt at humor to ease the pain.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

So Reyes records his first blown save this season and the answer is Gallegos and his 5 blown saves this season?

It ain’t broke……

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Gallegos for clo… oh, never mind!

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Don’t concern yourselves with Gellegos and Reyes, or anybody else who can’t throw strikes. I am imagining there is somebody who is lights out in class A that will do well for a month in AA to finish out this season. We will be writing him in for closer next year. Great peripherals, spin rate, radar gun, can’t miss. Trust me, we have seen this material before.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Or, if we want to connect with reality, we could figure who in our system is likely to help next year by checking to see who is having a solid year in AAA right now. Then we will have to contain our excitement and not all rush the ticket window at once.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Say what you will, but starting next year, Cabby will be the perennial closer for this team. You gotta believe in Cabby.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

At this point I think we could have a bullpen of Bruce Sutter, Lee Smith, Rollie Fingers, Trevor Hoffman, Aroldis Chapman, and Mariano Rivera and we would still find a way to blow it. Our bullpen is just snake bit.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

To me it looks like these kids are playing hard and serious about winning the Division. I’m expecting September to be exciting especially if Flaherty and Mikolas come back strong.

mspaid
    Participant

Free

If Reyes is made a starter he’ll break down and miss the entire season next year.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Overuse?

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I was thinking about that last night. Cabrera, Gallegos, and Reyes have all been used way too much because Shildt has no faith in anyone else. That is a front office problem.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

We have seen a lot of those guys but I have seen more than enough of everyone else in the pen.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Yes I know. The front office has not given Shildt enough weapons to work with. He is just not going to say it publicly.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years