Cards667

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 991 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • Cards667
    Participant

    Free

    1)Herrera to SEA for Bryce Miller
    2)STL gets: 3B- Westburg (BAL)
    BAL gets: 2B- Marte (AZ), RP- Morrilo (AZ), OF- Scott (STL), RP- Rincon (STL)
    AZ gets: 2B- Holliday (BAL), SP- Liberatore (STL)
    3)STL gets: RP- Hoffman (MIN), RP- Joyce (LAA)
    LAA get: RP- Soriano (STL), SP- Gallagher (MIN)
    MIN gets: C- Pages (STL), UT- Fermin (STL)

    FA- Stanek
    DFA/NT- Gorman (Send him to LAA in the trade if Mo thinks he can still fix him)

    1. Wetherholt – 2B (L)
    2. Baez – LF (R)
    3. Burleson – 1B (L)
    4. Walker – RF (R)
    5. Bernal – C (S)
    6. Westburg – 3B (R)
    7. Jordan – DH (R) (1B/3B)
    8. Church – CF (L)
    9. Winn – SS (R)

    Saggese-IF (R), Torres-2B/LF (L), Pereira-OF (R), Crooks-C (L)

    Miller, McGreevy, Leahy, Pallante, Mathews(L)

    Fitts, Graceffo, Bruihl(L), Gastelum, Joyce, Mautz(L), O’Brien, Hoffman

    Doesn’t block some minor league guys, Free’s up the DH spot for Rodriguez eventully, better pen arms with more swing and miss they are looking for. I don’t like Baez hitting 2, but probably works the best in this case.
    I don’t know if these trades work, but just thinking about AZ wanting (needing) to move Marte and wanting a LH bat also and Baltimore abundance of 2B/3B and moving them around while filling some needs in STL.

    in reply to: Cards/Diamondbacks complete Nootbar trade with ptbnl #320147
    Cards667
    Participant

    Free

    He was ranked in their top 30 and has been placed at 27 in the Cardinals top 30. Eagan is 22 and Santana is 24. I like Egan a lot as long as he can continue to find the zone, which he did much better after the Cardinals acquired him. Santana is undersized but his slider is filthy and has a chance at being a solid LH reliever who can get lots of swing and miss. Curley also threw 5 innings, 6 hits, 0 runs, 0 BB, 5 K in game 2 of the playoffs vs Springfield. Says he works strictly from the stretch, sitting in 95-97 mph with the fastball that can touch 100, but his best pitch is his slider. Which is a common thing in all 3 of the guys acquired for Nootbaar. All have plus breaking balls, generating swing and miss.

    in reply to: Roster Matrix thread 2 #317744
    Cards667
    Participant

    Free

    I know a lot of people are down on Crooks that were begging for him earlier this season. My how the turn tables turn. The sample size is still way too small for me to give up on Crooks at all. I know he was always touted for his defense and the blocking hasn’t been up to par, but the receiving has been good and while not throwing out the base stealers at a rate we’d like to see has shown a strong arm and has a track record of catching base stealers.
    I was all for giving Herrera more time behind the plate going into the season, and I’m now on the “he needs to learn a new position” train. I don’t know what position that is though and fear he could be a DH only type unless he can learn 3B.
    I think defensively Bernal will be great, hope his offense can play. I still say Pages will be the odd man out going forward and go with Bernal and Crooks at catcher. Bernal can play vs all LHP and split time vs RHP. Bernal has good splits, generating more power with his RH swing and most scouting reports say he has more power from the right side and more patient and plate discipline from the left side. And then Rainiel is coming fast, but can he play enough defense to justify leaving him behind the plate? Can he learn to play 3B as hinted at some?

    As for Scott, I have zero expectations. I never like a prospects who’s only elite skill set is speed. Unless he can make significantly more contact they need to move on from him faster than Gorman. Which by the way Scott still only had a 8% BB rate and 19% K rate in AAA, was 8% and 24% at the MLB level this season.

    Cards667
    Participant

    Free

    Gorman has another option year, I think, but next year he would be taking turns away from 3B candidates who could be part of the future. I wonder what will happen.

    Maybe, but he’s also in arbitration years. Making around $2.5 million, no point of having him in the minors making that money. He will be non-tendered and get a minor league contract somewhere else of someone hoping they can get him to figure something out.

    in reply to: Former Cardinals in the News (new thread) #317162
    Cards667
    Participant

    Free

    Roycroft claimed by the A’s.

    Cards667
    Participant

    Free

    Blaze has 3 option years left. He will be kept around and Gorman non-tendered first. I wouldn’t be surprised if in the off-season they are testing Herrera at 3B, already talk about getting Rainiel reps there to see if its an option. Jesus Baez probably doesn’t stick at SS and gets more time at 3B (where he started 7 A+ games and 5 AA games) Blaze kept around for depth at 3B and 1B and hopefully can get some pop back and be a viable option for back up 3B/1B some time at DH and be a RH power bench option.

    in reply to: Former Cardinals in the News (new thread) #316912
    Cards667
    Participant

    Free

    Former Cardinals minor leaguer Jack Ralston is being called up by the Marlins and former Cardinal John King is being DFA to clear the way.
    Ralston has a 1.66 ERA in 59.2 innings with 11.4 K/9 but also 4.4 BB/9. BB were always the issue with with the Cardinals and the 4.4 is down quite a bit from where he ever was with the Cardinals.

    Cards667
    Participant

    Free

    I’m ready to be done with Eastern time games. Bling said in another thread it is an awkward time due to dinner prep and I agree with that.

    I love the 5:40 start time. I get home from work about 4:15, get dinner started for the family about 4:45 and eating about 5:15-5:30 and then watch the game. Watch the last inning or 2 laying in bed and after the final out lights out and asleep by 9:00-9:30. Perfect for me, who gets up around 5am and staying up to watch the end of 7:00 start times is usually a stretch.

    Cards667
    Participant

    Free

    Rats,

    I had to make the trip to Indy today for work and made the stop into Gasthof on the way home. So here’s to some good luck catfish today!

    Cards667
    Participant

    Free

    Pallante is who was listed when I looked earlier.

    Cards667
    Participant

    Free

    Walker scratched with right knee inflammation.

    1. Wetherholt
    2. Herrera
    3. Fermin
    4. Velazquez – RF
    5. Winn
    6. Jordan
    7. Church
    8. Pages
    9. Torres – LF

    Cards667
    Participant

    Free

    1. Wetherholt – 2B (L)
    2. Walker – RF (R)
    3. Herrera – DH (R)
    4. Fermin – 3B (R)
    5. Velazquez – LF (R)
    6. Winn – SS (R)
    7. Jordan – 1B (R)
    8. Church – CF (L)
    9. Pages – C (R)

    Quinn Mathews optioned to AAA, Caleb Ferguson added to the roster, Cesar Prieto recalled from AAA

    in reply to: Buyers or sellers #313902
    Cards667
    Participant

    Free

    I mentioned the Mariners would likely trade one of their SP in another thread. I didn’t think Hancock would be the one they are looking at though. Maybe the Cards can send them another guy to get Hancock as he will have 4 years of control left

    Pass. 27 year old former 1st rounder that has struggled and finally got things going. They don’t believe its real either and trying to get offense without having to give up Kirby, Gilbert, Woo, and especially Miller, and nobody is taking Castillo’s contract. They have 6 SP and 2 of the best SP prospects knocking.

    Hancock, 27 years old
    3.16 ERA, 3.72 FIP, 6.8 H/9, 1.1 HR/9, 2.2 BB/9, 8.3 K/9
    .245 BABIP, 90 mph exit velo, 44% hard hit rate, 42% GB rate

    Pallante, 27 years old
    4.02 ERA, 3.97 FIP, 8.7 H/9, 0.9 HR/9, 2.6 BB/9, 6.4 K/9
    .285 BABIP, 87 mph exit velo, 35% hard hit rate, 55% GB rate

    Not trying to say Pallante is better, but its closer than you think. Mariners want offense for him and would probably take Herrera to get him.

    in reply to: Buyers or sellers #313859
    Cards667
    Participant

    Free

    I’m sure they are working hard on his astronomical chase rate, with high whiff rate on it, that won’t play at the MLB level.

    Cards667
    Participant

    Free

    Pages scratched with a “stomach bug”. Crooks catching.

    Cards667
    Participant

    Free

    I think they have to trade:
    May
    Romero
    Stanek (if there is interest)
    Nootbaar (I don’t think Baez is ready, but sell while you can)
    O’Brien
    Pages (maybe Crooks instead)

    Possibly:
    Bruihl
    Pallante

    Cards667
    Participant

    Free

    O’Brien is a 31 year old reliever with an injury history having the season of his life. It might be wise to cash in on that before the clock strikes midnight.

    Couldn’t agree more.

    in reply to: Roster Matrix thread 2 #313265
    Cards667
    Participant

    Free

    My first thought is Romero is traded and Mautz to MLB pen and then you have 5 SP in AAA. And when May is traded Dobbins probably joins the MLB rotation and you have 4 SP, but Thompson is there too who can start and also have Robberse and Henderson, struggling, but returning from injury soon. (Roby too?)

    in reply to: Buyers or sellers #313258
    Cards667
    Participant

    Free

    He’s 31 with a very sketchy injury history. Move him while his stock is high, if someone is willing to pay it. George can hold down the 9th.

    in reply to: Buyers or sellers #313062
    Cards667
    Participant

    Free

    Sell. May, Romero, Nootbaar, Stanek for sure. I’m listening on O’Brien for sure. RP is always so hit or miss and with his injury history if someone wants to buy high on him I’d take the deal. With the catching situation they need to start figuring it out. If that’s trading Crooks or Bernal or if that’s trading Pages and Crooks and Herrera catching (probably recalling Pozo at the 26th man for depth since Herrera has to DH 50%+ of the time) they need to take a direction on it sooner rather than later. I’d also listen on Pallante if someone was interested, but the SP depth is also an issue.

    in reply to: Rodriguez #313059
    Cards667
    Participant

    Free

    His numbers at AA aren’t bad at all for a 19 year old. And since June 10 by my quick calculations hes hitting .307 with 5 2B, 7 HR, 12 BB, 26 K. Overall K% in AA is close to 27%, where it was about 19% in A+. So better pitching is getting more swing and miss, but for his age I’m not overly concerned about it yet based on track record.

    Cards667
    Participant

    Free

    If they are up 2.5 games on the wild card at the trade deadline, I would expect them to hold on to May and Romero and see how far the current group can go.

    I understand what you’re saying, but can they get through Braves, Dodgers, Brewers, and Phillies and make the World Series? I don’t think holding on, or even adding a piece or 2 does it. So stick to building for 2028.

    Cards667
    Participant

    Free

    Was that the Amish restaurant (Gasthof) in Montgomery or the one north of Loogootee on the lake (Stoll’s Lakeview?

    Gasthof. We make a trip a couple times a month at least from Evansville area up to Indianapolis area and back. I don’t make them often anymore, but I did last Friday with another guy and its a frequent stop for him when he makes the trip to just come off I69 and eat there on the way home. We talked about it, but decided to just keep on heading south.

    in reply to: Roster Matrix #309623
    Cards667
    Participant

    Free

    Hopefully, Santos won’t pitch in one rehab game and then get released!

    I mean Moreno was a 31 year old depth piece they had signed out of Indy ball anyway. But Santos probably is going to have to earn a spot back in Memphis, especially with pending minor league free agency, I believe.

    Cards667
    Participant

    Free

    Interesting they had seemed to have given up on him being a 3B and questioned his chase percentage, and then call him up and start him at 3B. Hope it works out for him and Gorman gets his stuff together. I said from the get go I thought he was a “Russell Braynan”, and at this point I’d take Russell Braynan out of him.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 991 total)

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 25 years