2021 Cardinals MLB Game 94 thread – Monday, July 19 vs. Cubs

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2021 Cardinals MLB Game 94 thread – Monday, July 19 vs. Cubs

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 132 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

7:15 p.m.
    RHP Jake Woodford (1-1, 4.62) vs. RHP Alec Mills (4-2, 4.84)
    BSM // ESPN // KMOX // WIJR
    Also BSSW+ in Oklahoma and Arkansas and BSSE in TN, KY and MS

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The glass half empty crowd would say we are 9 games behind the Crew. I say we are only 7.5 out of a wild card slot. Lets run the table starting with the Chubs.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

I wonder if the reason that Shildt has Carlson and now Arenado batting 1-3 is because he wants to get their outs of the way???

And hopefully the experiment with Carlson hitting leadoff ends now. At this rate he will soon be down into the .240s.

r/Esteemed Rat

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

There is one positive and one negative about the starters in this game. We need to get to the Cubs bullpen early, and set the tone for the series. It’s way past time our offense wakes up against a very mediocre pitching staff. I think we win 10-5.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

In Woodford’s 3 starts in Memphis his WHIP was 1.500, so it might be a long night. But maybe it will be even longer for the bad guys.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Woodford just needs to pretend every hitter is Nick Castellanos and he should be okay.

Speaking of Castellanos, he’s missed the last two games after getting hit near the wrist on Friday night. Not sure what his status is but if he’s out for awhile I look for the Reds to begin to fade. They just got swept by the Brewers in Cincinnati this weekend. Now the Mets come to town for three games against the Reds before we head there for the weekend series at Riverfront.

r/Esteemed Rat

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

We are 2-6 against the north siders this year. It is time to find an anecdote for the kryptonite.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Too bad for Nooty. Speaking of guys who can’t get reps because of all the beasts in our lineup, Nogowski had two more RBIs and a run scored yesterday. Hitting ,450 in July. For somebody else.

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

I wonder if the reason that Shildt has Carlson and now Arenado batting 1-3 is because he wants to get their outs of the way???

I remember using this strategy in our pre-teen sandlot games.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Do you guys realize Alex Reyes has walked 35 batters in 43 innings???

That’s mind boggling. How can he be so bad???

And Cabrera has walked 25 batters in 43 innings. And Helsley has walked 24 batters in 38 innings.

This is almost Twilight Zone stuff. Ripley’s Believe It Or Not.

No idea why these players are in the big leagues if they cannot throw the ball over the plate. Accidents waiting to happen, that’s exactly what it is.

Din-din today was a chicken thigh and a leg in the Air Fryer, some Bush’s baked beans, and a glass of water. For dessert I had made myself some Banana Pudding – yum yum!

r/Esteemed Rat

Cards667
    Participant

Free

Well Carpenter is hitting 3rd today

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Dear Rats, you seem to be lost in the forest. Step back and look at the trees. Reyes is a National League All-Star for very good reason.

If you are going to attack the bullpen, you would be wise to avoid two of the three dependable options the Cardinals have right now – Reyes and Cabrera.

And yes, Cindy Crawford has a mole on her face… 😉

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Arenado gets the day off.

1. Dylan Carlson (S) RF
    2. Paul Goldschmidt (R) 1B
    3. Matt Carpenter (L) 3B
    4. Tyler O’Neill (R) LF
    5. Yadier Molina (R) C
    6. Tommy Edman (S) 2B
    7. Paul DeJong (R) SS
    8. Harrison Bader (R) CF
    9. Jake Woodford (R) P

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

This is a big series. We need to take 3 of 4. Even a split is not good as it just kicks the fan done the road. Need to win every remaining series and get to 90 wins. Will likely lose a series here and there which means a few sweeps will have to occur. But the poor first half puts that pressure on to get to 90 wins.

Hard to visualize our offense being able to provide enough spark to get 90 Ws. All year we have looked like an 80 win club. But hey, let’s see if these guys can surprise us!

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Arenado gets the day off? Today? In this series? REALLY?????

The more I see of Shildt’s managing the more I am starting to wonder if a change does indeed need to be made. I mean, geez, he just had the All Star Break. And then two days after the All Star Game.

WHY DOES HE NEED A DAY OFF ALREADY?????

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Arenado gets the day off? Today? In this series? REALLY?????

Swap in somebody who is hitting, I like it.

Cardinal in France
    Participant

Free

Yeah, Carp is almost to .200 now.

1982 willie
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I don’t mind arenado getting the day off because he has been struggling but otherwise yea it’s crazy. Carpenter has had some big hits though he isn’t really knocking the cover off the ball but a hit is better than no hits.

Cards667
    Participant

Free

Rats, I understand what you’re saying. Reyes 7.3 BB/9
    Cabrera 5.3 BB/9
    Helsley 5.7 BB/9
    Yes, Reyes has been dependable in closing out all saves chances, as the media likes to make the big deal about, but his 3.66 FIP will tell you his 1.45 ERA had a lot of luck in it.
    Cabrera is all over. Sometimes I like him, sometimes he has no clue where the ball is going.
    Helsley to me is the most frustrating. Maybe because I have liked him coming up and been a guy I always thought had a lot of potential even not being really highly touted. But also because when he’s “right” he is flat filthy, like yesterday. And when he’s not it is very painful to watch.

Cards667
    Participant

Free

If Arenado is going to get the day off and Carpenter play I don’t understand him hitting 3rd. Edman, Carlson, Goldschmidt, O’Neill…or Carlson, Goldschmidt, O’Neill, DeJong…or I don’t know. Just Carpenter hitting 3rd doesn’t seem like the best option to me. Maybe he surprises us.

Cards667
    Participant

Free

“Reyes is a National League All-Star for very good reason.”

I don’t care for the All-Star stuff, or think All-Star selections are relevant. But the only Cardinal who was worthy of being an “All-Star” is Gio, and he wasn’t there.

1982 willie
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Yea our late inning guys have bad walk rates and usually that isn’t good news but our guys also have pretty nasty stuff compared to a lot of staffs. Guys like that do tend to walk their share. So watching them is a lot like watching isringhausen pitch back in the day. It’s always going to be exciting or depressing depending on outcome. Now with Sutter or worrell, they came in and it was ball game generally.

Cards667
    Participant

Free

Irrelevant is what I meant to say.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Gio and Cabby both rock! We’re blessed to have 3 fantastic relievers. We’ll slice & dice these cubbies tonight. I’m calling it 7-3 Birds with Carlson having his belated 2021 coming out party tonight.

Din-din tonight was 2 dogs with kraut, onions and yellow mustard, potato chips dipped in sour cream, potato salad, 3 Popeye’s apple cinnamon pies and a large Mt.Dew to wash her all down with.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 132 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years