What’s Wrong With Goldy??

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum What’s Wrong With Goldy??

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 86 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Free

I think there is reason for some concern. He hasn’t looked the same, 33 years old, still owed 3 years $78 million after this year. I’m not saying he’s done, but there is reason for concern. I understand last year he only played 58 games and only played 25 games into this year, but I’m at least concerned, not yet a full blown worry.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Cards667 said:

I understand last year he only played 58 games and only played 25 games into this year…

I take it you did not look at his 2020 numbers because they were very good…

Participant

Free

Yes I did.
    2012-2018:(162 game avg)
    40 2B, 32 HR, .299/.400/.535 146 OPS+
    2019:
    25 2B, 34 HR, .260/.346/.476 116 OPS+
    2020: (times 2.56)
    33 2B, 15 HR, .304/.417/.466 145 OPS+

2019 saw his BB% drop and his ISO drop. 2020 his OPS+ looks on par, backed by career low K% and a tick up over career avg. BB%. But it was the lowest slugging and ISO of his career. 2020 also saw a down tick in his barrel % and exit velocity. Stack that with his 2021 start of even lower barrel %, BB%, ISO, higher K% and yes there is reason to be concerned.

Edit: before someone asks why 2.56. His career average 12-18 PA/2020 PA=2.56

Participant

Paid - Annual

3 for 4 with 4 runs scored. Great, we may need to come up with a new drama.

RatsbuddyRatsbuddy
    Participant

Free

I keep saying the same thing but nobody listens. I said it might be a matter of getting into some warm weather, like he is used to in Arizona.

And Danny Mac said the SAME THING on the broadcast tonight. He said the facts will show this. I can only assume he knows what he’s talking about.

r/Esteemed Rat

Participant

Paid - Annual

Was it warm in Pittsburgh last night?

RatsbuddyRatsbuddy
    Participant

Free

No, but that was one game. Perhaps he needs consistently warm weather to start to be more consistent. I can pretty much guarantee you that Goldy will NOT get two hits today.

r/Esteemed Rat

Participant

Paid - Annual

You might be right about the weather Rat. A lot of hitters are like that. Whatever the reason I suspect by the end of the year Goldy will be at .275, 25, 100. (For those that like old school stats)

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Coming into today, Goldy has a .545 OBP and 1.345 OPS this month on seven hits (including a double and HR) and two walks in 16 plate appearances.

I think he is toast. 😉

Participant

Free

Sorry, small samples are only allowed in the first couple games of the season ;

Participant

Free

There is nothing whatever wrong with Goldy except not hitting so much, striking out more, taking far too many hittable pitches, but otherwise he’s fine. It’s early yet.

jj-cf-stljj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Goldy with a 3 for 5 day, HR, 2 singles
    DeJong with a 2 for 3 day, single, double, 2 BB’s

Goldy should make the low 90’s w/his ops+ tomorrow, DeJong likely high 90’s. Those are our two lowest ops+ starters with Carp and Williams now to the bench.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Goldy in April: .214/.257/.340/.597

Goldy in May: 10/27 including 2 HR, 6 RBI, .370/.414/.630/1.044

Only May OPS higher on the team – Arenado at 1.110

Participant

Paid - Annual

I think he’s also leading the team in Ks in May. Just to be fair.

Participant

Free

bling, you are right that he leads the team in strikeouts in May. He is tied with Knizner with 8. Carlson has 7. Considering, for his career, Goldschmidt has struck out around 1 time for each game played, he is doing good for May.

He will be fine when the season is over.

Participant

Free

Goldy in April: .214/.257/.340/.597

Goldy in May: 10/27 including 2 HR, 6 RBI, .370/.414/.630/1.044

Only May OPS higher on the team – Arenado at 1.110

For the season, he is still below DeJong in both OBP and SLG.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

bling said:

I think he’s also leading the team in Ks in May. Just to be fair.

Cindy Crawford’s mole.

Participant

Paid - Annual

You know how I am about cherry picking to make a point. :-/

Participant

Goldschmidt has his own “what’s wrong with” topic. We could start others for some to scrutinize. This topic should disappear soon…. but there are 68 comments.

Participant

Paid - Annual

The Goldy chicken littles can calm down. He is going to be just fine.

Participant

Free

The Goldy chicken littles can calm down.

Your comment is offensive.

All anybody is doing is pointing out he is underperforming this year, and you can’s criticize others for underperforming while giving Goldy a walk.

You need to learn some manners.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Offensive? That seems overly sensitive.

Just get tired of Goldy being raked over the coals while someone like DeJong looks like a little leaguer at the plate.

RatsbuddyRatsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Is DeJong playing himself out of St. Louis? Is he under contract in 2022?

With all the free agent shortstops on the market after this year would the Cards make a move here? Could Arenado persuade Story to come to Busch?

r/Esteemed Rat

jj-cf-stljj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

6mil guaranteed in 22′, 9mil in 2023. Couple of club options after that.

“Is DeJong playing himself out of STL?”

I’ll go with no. What the FO plans are for upgrades is the unknown. How many of us predicted the Arenado upgrade this winter? I sure didn’t type “We’ll land Arenado in a month.”

Participant

Paid - Annual

Given the rather steady downward trajectory of DeJong’s batting line since his rookie year in 2017, I can see him settling in around .220-.230 with once a week homer pop. If he could settle into the bottom of the order with Bader there is nothing necessarily wrong with getting mainly defense from your two most important defensive positions. I don’t think having him in the middle of the order is sustainable.

As to Goldy, his 2019 was a noticeable drop off. He did fine in the abbreviated 2020, but has struggled off and on this year. He will turn 34 in September and we have no way of knowing how steep his decline curve will be. That is the realty.

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 86 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years