Forum Replies Created
-
AuthorPosts
-
Another thing that will have to be worked out is players who have performance bonuses in their contracts or have vesting options based on plate appearances or innings pitched. Adam Wainwright and Andrew Miller come to mind.
Pretty sure those will fall under force majeure
Wong and Miller return … $3M increase YOY
Wong’s option is for $2 million more than this year. If Miller performs like last year, he will not be returning at all.
January 21, 2020 at 11:14 pm in reply to: Former Cardinals in the News – 2017 to Aug. 2024 (closed) #120350The Goldschmidt deal has probably caused DeWitt to tell Mo he is no longer allowed to trade for MOTO bats
And Yadi should sign for at least $10 million less than he is currently making, and Miller will come off the books as well.
January 19, 2020 at 8:29 pm in reply to: Trade Ideas/Acquisition Ideas/Non-Cards Rumors – 2019-2020 #120109I mean, if I were Mozeliak, I’d call Bloom and say we’ll meet your asking price, but we are excluding our Top 3 prospects (Carlson, Gorman, Liberatore) from consideration and you have to take back the contracts of Fowler and Carpenter…
Then call Colorado and say we’ll trade Hudson + O’Neill + mid-tier pitching prospect for Arenado…
January 19, 2020 at 7:51 pm in reply to: Trade Ideas/Acquisition Ideas/Non-Cards Rumors – 2019-2020 #120107Now, this is interesting
Eat all of David Price’s salary, send them two high end prospects, and you can rent Mookie Betts for a year…
and Hand hasn’t even been rumored.
Most Cardinals trades aren’t rumored before they happen.
I think next on the priority list for the Cardinals is finding a trade partner for Dexter Fowler (hello, Arizona).
The Cardinals have known they were at a disadvantage and even discussed it
A team would have to be pretty desperate to want Fowler for CF.
Oh, I agree. But you have Pillar who has a career .296 OBP, and Jarrod Dyson with a career .319 and Fowler with a career .359.
Now, Pillar and Dyson played last year at $5.7 million and $4 million, respectively. So, the Cardinals would have to pay down roughly $10 million for him to be a viable option for most teams. The advantage of Fowler over the other two would be an offensive tradeoff, and I believe, in general, most players can create more value offensively than defensively (unless you have a truly elite defender).
Of course, I only see two teams that Fowler would be a fit for – Arizona (where Marte prefers to play 2b) and Philadelphia, which is a small park in which Fowler could play reasonable defense.
San Francisco has a gaping hole in CF as well, but we all know Fowler could not handle CF in that ballpark.
So why would anybody give up even a bucket of balls for Dexter, when they could have signed Dickerson for half the money?
There were a lot of teams looking for a CF this year, and there weren’t any good ones on the market. So, if a team believes Fowler can play CF, and the Cardinals insist he is the only CF they are willing to part with, I can see somebody trading for him.
Though, I agree, the Cardinals are going to have to eat an awful lot of that contract to trade him. But that is the most cost effective means of improving the roster at this point.
Oh boy, it keeps getting better, with more and more people announcing things….
I have no idea why the Rox signed Arenado only to trade him before the contract kicks in.
I would have to guess that it has something to do with the fact they went 91-72 in 2018 and 71-91 in 2019…Then Arenado came out and said it feels like they are a rebuilding club.
One elite player is better than two than add up to the same WAR.
I believe teams tend to have better records when they have eight 2 WAR guys than one 8 WAR guy, a couple of 2 WAR guys and a couple of people with zero to negative WAR. Just compare the Angels to the Cardinals…
When you go after a 6-8 WAR guy is when you have a team filled with 2 WAR players and you are looking for an upgrade. And when you trade tha 6-8 WAR guy is when you have numerous holes to fill and you are budget constrained.
The best comp trade I have seen was the Yankees trade of Stanton.
I actually thought of this today, and concur, the Stanton trade is the best comp.
The biggest difference is the Marlins drew 1.7 million fans in 2016 and the Rockies drew 2.9 million fans last year.
But, yes, the Rockies have spent $0 on free agency this year, indicating they are maxed out. $34 million worth of salary relief is valuable to them.
Perhaps, but who is to say that one of the other candidates cannot deliver as much or more WAR while being a better balanced player?
Well, we know Dexter Fowler and Jose Martinez cannot, yet last year, Fowler was given more playing time, and down the stretch, they were putting Martinez in RF and Fowler in CF.
I’ll take my chances with Bader in CF and Fowler on the bench.
I guess where I am at right now, is I can see the Cardinals trading Hudson + O’Neill for Arenado if they can find takers for Carpenter + Fowler.
This would presume they would resign Ozuna and DeWitt would be willing to live with a $25 million payroll increase.
Jeff Passan indicated on January 7th that the Rockies were targeting the Cubs and the Cardinals in an Arenado trade because they want MLB talent back. This was before the Liberatore trade.
As the Colorado Rockies search for potential trade partners, two teams in particular have intrigued them, according to sources: the Cubs and St. Louis Cardinals.
The Cardinals are an interesting possibility for Arenado, too. They have the major league talent the Rockies would want in return.
I tend to agree with most of what this author wrote:
Where the rumors are coming from1. The Cardinals don’t discuss trades in public
2. If there is any basis to these supposed discussions, the leak came from the Rockies end
3. The Cardinals would have to trade both Fowler and Carpenter to accomodate Arenado’s salary (though I believe DeWitt said he would be willing to increase payroll if the right trade came along)Pretty sure that the conversation went something like this:
Mo/Girsch: “We’d like to see what it would take to get Arenado”
Colorado: “Liberatore, Hudson, Carlos Martinez and Tyler O’Neill”
Mo/Girsch: “Been great talkin’ to ya”
Pugs, given the way former Cubs players have worked out for the Cardinals, are you sure you want to sign a former Cubs player?
1. Trade Fowler + Munoz + $5 million per year to Arizona for a prospect (SS Blaze Alexander)
2. Trade Carpenter + Ravelo + $5 million per year to Texas for a prospect (SS Maximo Acosta)
3. Sign Josh Donaldson for 3 years/$90 million ($35/35/20)Now, we’ve:
1. Improved right field by trading Fowler
2. Improved 3B by upgrading to Donaldson
3. Increased payroll by roughly $10.5 million
4. Improved the farm systemWell, Bob, if you read Henry’s comments today, I don’t think trading Betts fits into his vision
I almost think Levine is just making things up based on this article
That sounds more like the “ask” than the “offer”
Along that line of thiking, maybe they will package Yairo Munoz with Fowler to Arizona and get a decent prospect back…
Cardinals willing to eat money
The Cardinals likely aren’t done on the outfield side of things, either. They could conceivably bring back free agent Marcell Ozuna, and have been willing to eat money to move Dexter Fowler’s contract, per league sources.
-
AuthorPosts
