Minor league salaries

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Minor league salaries

Viewing 25 posts - 326 through 350 (of 458 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Reader email received just now:

I enjoyed the video interview with Garrett Broshius. It’s a good thing he is doing and I wish him success.

I was so impressed I donated to his 501(c)(3).

Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

Great video Brian. I learned a few things about the minors and had never really heard of the 7 season commitment. I am from south Louisiana (coonass country) and down there we would pronounce Garrett’s last name as Bro-Shuss. Did I hear it pronounced different? Good info also on how other sports minor leagues are operating.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Thank you. The interview was on my to do list for a long time and some recent social media activity moved it up on my priorities.

To your pronunciation question, I am from the Midwest and thought it was same as you. But to be sure, I asked him just beforehand. He said his last name is of Dutch origin and sounded more like Brush-hoos than Brush-house, which is what came out of my mouth. I did try, at least…

On your seven-year point, it is commonly called “six-year minor league free agency” but the first year does not count. That is how long any minor leaguer is contractually committed to the organization with which he first signed (or is traded to), unless he is released first.

Then add at least six more years to it if a player is added to the 40-man roster. (More if you include three minor league option years.) That covers three years in MLB prior to arbitration and three years of arbitration. So a player could remain under control for as many as 10 or 12 years before he could become a free agent and actually choose his baseball employer for the first time.

Take John Gant as an example. He first signed in 2011 and nine years later, he still has three more years to go before he can be a free agent. In the meantime, he has already been traded twice.

It is tradeoff. MLB teams invest in the development of a player and understandably want to reap the benefit when he matures and reaches the majors. But the player wants to choose his place of employment and maximize his salary. Each CBA brings a new effort to find an acceptable balance point, but the focus is always on the major leaguers, not the minor leaguers. They fall behind.

Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

There is always something new to learn about this game. I thought I had it pretty well mastered after playing high school and college and then electing to go for a military commission rather than try out for a minor league team. I knew that my catching talents were not on a par with others I had watched. But at 80 I am still in learning mode and TCN has become a great schoolhouse for me. We haven’t been out of the house for over a month with the exception of doing grocery pickups at Walmart and meal pickups at various places. My wife who is 77 sneaked into a meat market at a very early hour the other day because she is set on picking out her own cuts of meat. But then she told me that would be the last time because if she happened to bring home the virus it could mean the death of both of us. I asked her how many others were there and she said 0 customers and she only saw the butcher and he was masked and gloved…lol.

Unfortunately it is going to take a mindset change following the reopening of many businesses. Some folks are going to have to convince themselves they can actually mix with other folks in a ‘normal’ way. A good day to all………………….wait…………..wait…………..Aw shucks I just thought I heard somebody screaming PLAY BALL but is was only a dream I guess.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

From a Ken Rosenthal Q&A with Adain Wainwright:

Q: I know this is not necessarily your department, but do you have any thoughts on how to improve minor-league pay? I know these guys are not members of the Major League Baseball Players Association. Should major leaguers do more? Should the clubs do more? Both?

A: I don’t think it can be left up to major-league players. With players, you want them to give when they feel led to give. I do think the pay needs to increase. I’ve talked with major-league front-office people and they agree with me on that, that minor-league players should get their pay raised. A lot are living below the poverty line.

People are going to say, “If you don’t like it, play better. Get to the big leagues.” I understand that. But I was in a grocery store years ago when I was in Double A. I was 21 years old. And the guy behind me in the checkout line says, “Are you Wainwright?” I said, “Yessir.” He said, “Man, I never could understand you minor leaguers.” I said, “OK, tell me why.” He said, “Why would you not want to be in the big leagues?” And I said, “I think you misunderstand. I very much want to be in the big leagues.” He said, “Nah, if you wanted to be in the big leagues, you’d be in the big leagues. Professional baseball players can play wherever they want, right?” I said, “Sir, that is not even close to being right.”

I say that because there are a lot of misconceptions about professional baseball players. When you’re a kid, you never grow up saying, “I want to be a minor-league baseball player.” You want to be a superstar, play in the World Series — that’s the dream. For some of us, that has happened. But for the majority, it has not.

https://theathletic.com/1800963/2020/05/08/rosenthal-adam-wainwright-on-supporting-minor-leaguers-charity-work-and-career-plans/

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

The view from the bottom of the totem pole cannot be very good.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Only for those wanting to dive into the bowels of why unionizing the minor leagues would be so difficult.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Former A’s pitcher Dallas Braden spares no punches.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Dallas Braden is being sarcastic, of course. He doesn’t care about the billionaires. What he really wants is to keep the millionaires in the front of your mind. Notice, BTW, that the fans are completely taken for granted.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

GameCard
    Participant

Free

Just play the games that will solve the issue.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

How do you figure that?

LACardFan
    Participant

Free

Didn’t the Toronto Blue Jays double the pay of their minor leaguers last year?

And Oakland is giving them furloughs?

Where do you think those undrafted kids are going to sign for $20k?

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Goold delivers the good news. National guys deliver the bad.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Looks like this wave will be game-wide.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Interesting if true. It would explain how and why all teams agreed to pay through May 31.

Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

There was a mention on the local news last night that the Springfield Cards ballpark employees and game day folks will continue to be paid but I missed the cutoff date.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Would it be accurate to guess that the Cards will release +/- 30 players? Or will it be more? Any ideas about who is near the top of the list?

Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

Will the Cards release a list of players who are let go?

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

14NyquisT asked:

Would it be accurate to guess that the Cards will release +/- 30 players? Or will it be more? Any ideas about who is near the top of the list?

Numbers unknown. I will not speculate on names. That would not be fair or appropriate, IMO.

MM3 asked:

Will the Cards release a list of players who are let go?

Eventually. This entire matter is being handled oddly. (Guessing there is an MLB-wide moratorium until they have contacted all the players.)

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Some media types are misrepresenting the minor league cuts as “they would have happened, anyway.” Some, yes, but not anywhere near all. However, many organizations did not drop players in March, so their numbers will be higher now.

According to BA data, here are the prior number of releases by the Cards in recent years between March and May:

2018 36
    2019 19
    2020 (prior to now) 10

All 30 organizations are listed here.

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/march-may-milb-player-releases-could-exceed-2019-2018-numbers/

Viewing 25 posts - 326 through 350 (of 458 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 25 years