2020 MLB Draft

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2020 MLB Draft

Viewing 25 posts - 201 through 225 (of 941 total)
  • Author
    Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Or whoever Flores likes best among those still available when it is the Cardinals turn…

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Here is the link to last year’s draft thread. Picks recommended by readers here or taken in mocks mentioned were (actual selection):

Nick Lodolo (7)
    Greg Jones (22)
    Carter Stewart (ND)
    Kody Hoese (25)
    Tyler Callihan (85)
    Gunnar Henderson (42)
    Brett Baty (12)
    Daniel Espino (24)

Only one offhand mention of Zack Thompson was made in the entire thread before he was taken at no. 19.

2019 draft

Participant

Paid - Monthly

Of course!

Participant

Paid - Monthly
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

That would be great but I don’t think he is going to be around at #21.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Not sure if they’ll be stars, but drafting say 175 total this year, as apposed to 1250+, there will be quality players that will be free agents. Even excluding kids that will go back to school instead of turning pro, there will be plenty of players chasing their dream for $20k. Just imagine signing an Albert Pujols, Matt Carpenter, or Matt Adams as undrafted free agents? Don’t forget our beloved Tommy Edman. And those are just Cardinals examples. They would have been available if their draft was only 5 rounds. In fact, some undrafted free agents will have a secondary market, where they would be able to pick which team to sign with.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Thanks Brian for bringing up Carter Stewart. I think I was the one that mentioned him. I did not know his story. He signed with a Japanese team with the terms of 6 years, 7 million. Unprecedented as far as I can remember a juco kid signing on for a Japanese team.

Participant

Paid - Annual

I am going to stop looking at the 2017 draft. It makes me sick how poorly we drafted. Mendoza has one of the few chances of any drafted to make the majors. Hurst and Robertson are less likely IMO. I do like Jake Walsh, if he can recover from injury.

Participant

Paid - Annual

I wonder when a pitcher like Luke Little will be drafted, and what it would take to sway him from his South Carolina commitment?

Participant

Paid - Monthly

From my sources at South Carolina Little will be drafted and sign. Almost everyone that gets drafted will sign with only 5 Rds. Clubs can’t afford to take you if you aren’t signing…poor homework by a club if they don’t sign.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

C27 said:

I am going to stop looking at the 2017 draft…

I hear you, but you did not mention my favorite, 27th rounder Kodi Whitley.

Participant

Free

I compared Wilcox and Mlodzinski’s stat’s because of comments like this:

I have seen Cole Wilcox pitch in person and he throws with a lot of velocity but his control is sometimes off.

I’m not sure two walks in 23 innings shows a lack of control.

and

between CM and Wilcox IMO CM is the more polished pitcher.

You stated in another post you know somebody at South Carolina. There might be some bias in your opinion.

Participant

Paid - Monthly

I am a South Carolina season ticket holder…I see all of their games. Yes, I am biased to some degree but I wouldn’t tell you that CM is more polished if he wasn’t. Throw their 2020 stats out the window…they were only 4 starts in cold weather against non-conference competition. I haven’t seen Wilcox in 2020 but did in 2019 and he threw very hard but had questionable control. He was not a starter. Here are his stats from 2019 13
    Wilcox, Cole
    4.07 1.42 3-2 19-6 1 0-1 0 59.2 46 30 27 38 64 8 0 3 213 .216 15 4 0 3

Participant

Paid - Monthly

As you can see he had a 4.07 ERA and 38 walks. CM in the Cape last summer had an ERA of 2.14 and 40 SO’s to 4 walks against wooden bats.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual
    Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Keith Law’s projected first round pick by the Cardinals:

21. St. Louis Cardinals: Garrett Mitchell, OF, UCLA

Mitchell is an 80 runner and sure centerfielder, but teams are scared off by multiple factors, from questions about whether his swing will work with wood to health concerns given his diabetes. He reminds me a bit of Drew Stubbs, who wasn’t exactly the same kind of player — more power, a bit less speed, a slightly better defender at the same age — but went in the top ten picks in 2006.

https://theathletic.com/1809918/2020/05/13/keith-law-2020-mlb-mock-draft-first-round-projection-1-0

Participant

Paid - Monthly

Thanks for the info…I can’t read the athletic.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

BA’s new mock has the Cardinals taking 2B Justin Foscue from Mississippi State.

Participant

Paid - Monthly
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Doubt they’ll take a high schooler with the first pick. Short term needs at MI and OF are too acute.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Doubt they’ll take a high schooler with the first pick. Short term needs at MI and OF are too acute.

No teams ever draft for short term needs, with the very rare exception of a team that might take a quick moving reliever. This isn’t the NFL. The Cards will take the best available player, and if that’s a high schooler, then so be it.

Participant

Paid - Annual

We have different opinions, 25, and that’s fine. I just think perhaps they’ll change their modus in a 5 round draft. They’ve had enough Peoples-Walls, Dentons, Plummers, Perezs, McElroys, Tilsons, etc. in the past. And I guess they were all the “best player available” when taken. My thought is that they will look for more DeJong and Bader type players.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

We have different opinions, 25, and that’s fine. I just think perhaps they’ll change their modus in a 5 round draft. They’ve had enough Peoples-Walls, Dentons, Plummers, Perezs, McElroys, Tilsons, etc. in the past. And I guess they were all the “best player available” when taken. My thought is that they will look for more DeJong and Bader type players.

Back in 2009, the Cards were among the first, if not the first, to notice a lanky NJ teen outfielder. Team scouts were pretty high on him and they were said to be planning to draft him if he was available with their 19th pick. Of course, a big tall Texas right hander fell to their spot unexpectedly and they snapped up Shelby Miller, unaware that they just passed up perhaps the greatest player of the last 50 years. The Angels grabbed Mike Trout 6 picks later.

One size doesn’t fit all in baseball. Of course the team would look for players who will be multi year starters like Dejong or Bader, but that doesn’t mean that there aren’t some Dylan Carlsons worth taking in the first round.

Participant

Paid - Monthly

IMO if Ed Howard is available when the Cardinals pick at #21 they jump all over it.

Participant

Paid - Annual

25 –
    Unfortunately, for one Carlson, there are many more
    Plummer types. The Cardinals just haven’t had a good history of drafting high school position players in the high rounds. My guess is that they’ve learned their lesson.

Viewing 25 posts - 201 through 225 (of 941 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years