2020 MLB Draft

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2020 MLB Draft

Viewing 25 posts - 301 through 325 (of 965 total)
  • Author
    THerr28
    Participant

Paid - Annual

BleacherReport with new mock supposedly only two hours old has us taking Tyler Soderstrom.
    Good grief. Makes no sense. With Ivan Herrera ready to take Yadi’s spot in about 3 years, why draft a catcher?

GameCard
    Participant

Free

I don’t think that happens.

THerr28
    Participant

Paid - Annual

yea, makes ZERO sense.
    what in the wide world would the writer of that mock is thinking?

GameCard
    Participant

Free

I just saw that mock…IMO there is no way they pass Mlodzinski or Wilcox to take a catcher.
    Here is the Mock:https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2893497-2020-mlb-mock-draft-latest-predictions-for-nick-gonzales-top-infield-prospects

THerr28
    Participant

Paid - Annual

right you are.
    and for those wanting Ed Howard, that mock has the Brewers taking him just one pick prior to the Cards

1946worldserieschamps
    Participant

Free

Before I renew my subscription to baseball America. Does anyone have it to where they can post the updated mock draft they did today and the rankings? In regards to Tyler Soderstrom only thing I can think of is they draft him and if his bat is legit they just move him to outfield. But it makes zero sense as David Martin said. May have been here where it was said bad history of drafting a catcher in the 1st round.

MLB.com wrote this in 2019
    He barrels the ball repeatedly and produces high exit velocities as a left-handed hitter, and while he needs work as a catcher, he’s athletic enough to play third base or an outfield corner if he has to change positions.

1946worldserieschamps
    Participant

Free

More information on Soderstrom from mlb.com. He’s been the backup catcher on his high school team, mostly because the starter is a really good defender. Soderstrom’s hands work and he has a very strong arm, but he is raw in terms of blocking and game management.
    MLB.com – April: “Soderstrom is an athletic, left-handed hitting catcher whose bat is ahead of his defense. At the plate, he’s really polished with a solid overall approach and makes the kind of loud contact that makes people sit up and take notice when he’s taking batting practice.”
    Prospects Live – Mar. 24th: ” A bat first prospect, Soderstrom stands out for his smooth left-handed swing and feel for good contact. Soderstrom projects for average power, but has the tools to be a plus hitter, arguably the top pure hit tool in the entire prep class.”

So I’d be open to it the pick is about his bat and not about him being the replacement for Yadi since we have Herrera and Knizner to battle for that spot.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Julio Rodriguez and Pedro Pages are catchers that have gotten some very good early reports, also. It seems to me that the Brewers would want to take a pitcher if one of the one’s they really like is still on the board.

GameCard
    Participant

Free

I think if they take Soderstrom it is for his bat and not as a catcher.

bccran
    Participant

What about Knizner too?

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Law’s mock 2.0. He has Cavalli going to the Reds at no. 12.

21. St. Louis Cardinals: Garrett Crochet, LHP, Tennessee

Crochet has two clearly plus pitches in his fastball and slider, and he (like Meyer) could probably pitch in relief in the majors this year. He only made one appearance for the Vols this spring, an unannounced relief appearance, before the shutdown.

https://theathletic.com/1841204/2020/05/28/keith-laws-2020-mlb-mock-draft-first-round-projection-2-0/

THerr28
    Participant

Paid - Annual

thanks Brian.
    can you divulge BA’s 5.0 Card pick?

grenadier1
    Participant

Paid - Three Months

BA 5.0 #21 Cardinals
    Justin Foscue, 2b , MsSt
    Another name who’s been mentioned quite a bit, Foscue fits the mold of a player who could gain ground as teams hunt for players with proven resumes. He doesn’t have the sort of impact that Kjerstad provides, but he is a safe bet to stick in the infield, which helps. The Cardinals have done well with this sort of profile.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

BA did not change. They had the Cards taking Foscue before and still do now.

bccran
    Participant

Reading up on Foscue, he would be a fine choice. Very smooth on the DP and has nice power for a second baseman.

THerr28
    Participant

Paid - Annual

man, I don’t know about Foscue with many pitchers available, good ones, at 21.
    Garrett Crochet (cro SHAY) of Tennessee is intriguing, altho some shoulder problem this spring.

per Kiley McDaniel of ESPN, college position players are the safest demographic.

is Foscue high floor, low ceiling? seems like it to me, but what do I know? 🙂

GameCard
    Participant

Free

I agree with DM

bccran
    Participant

Could be like Wong, who also was high floor.

THerr28
    Participant

Paid - Annual

plenty of good arms:
    Garrett Crochet
    Bryce Jarvis
    Tanner Burns (may be gone by 21)
    Slade Cecconi
    Cade Cavalli (my fav, most likely long gone by 21)
    Carmen Mlodzinski
    J T Ginn (altho’ Tommy John surgery just before Covid 19 happened)

or, just take Ed Howard if he’s still there.
    for me, Howard over Foscue

GameCard
    Participant

Free

Again I agree with DM on both the pitchers and Howard.

bccran
    Participant

Howard vs. Foscue. I know this shouldn’t factor in, but we already have Perez, Gil, etc. Those are longer term guys. Why not get a seasoned and proven college player?

THerr28
    Participant

Paid - Annual

point taken bccran

GameCard
    Participant

Free

Because you don’t need either for awhile so taking the best(IMO Howard) is what you want to do.

LACardFan
    Participant

Free

I know this shouldn’t factor in, but we already have Perez, Gil, etc. Those are longer term guys. Why not get a seasoned and proven college player?

Because neither of those guys are very promising, and you (are supposed to) draft the best player available early on…

If you look at what the Cardinals typically do in the first round, they draft somebody ranked fairly high that “falls” to them. Think Plummer, Perez, Gorman, etc. Hudson was ranked just outside the Top 10 when he was drafted, and Thompson was ranked about 17 IIRC.

bccran
    Participant

You don’t know what your need is in the shorter run. Where’s your middle infield depth at the higher levels of the minors right now? Sosa? Robertson? Schrock? What do you do for depth if Carp is ineffective. What’s going to happen with Wong? What if Edman isn’t quite as good as we thought?

Viewing 25 posts - 301 through 325 (of 965 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 25 years