2020 MLB Draft

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2020 MLB Draft

Viewing 25 posts - 626 through 650 (of 965 total)
  • Author
    GameCard
    Participant

Free

Tomorrow should be fun.

BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

What are the rules on team communication with players prior to the draft?

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

They can talk and do. The area scout gets to know the player, his coaches and family.

Here is a recent update.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/28995453/mlb-relaxes-scouting-guidelines-ahead-draft

grenadier1
    Participant

Paid - Three Months

Brian (or anyone) where do you see him fitting into the Top Prospects? Seems hard to put him in the Top 7. How would you compare him to someone like Malcom Nunez as far as 3B in the system now?

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I will have to do more research, but my initial take is similar to yours. I would have Walker ahead of Nunez (my no. 11), but the question is which others, too?

Once the draft is over, we will formally insert the new picks into the top 50.

Of course, anyone else can offer their comments at any time…

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Thanks for the link.

grenadier1
    Participant

Paid - Three Months

I hope the fall league works out for each organization to have a team. I miss MiLB and seeing the prospect progress.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

What happens if they don’t sign Walker? Is it like past years where they will get a compensatory pick in 2021. However, I thought that rule had changed.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Admittedly, I had been pretty down on baseball lately. I haven’t really paid much attention as it seems like it’s only been bad news. This helps.

I’m still disappointed that we won’t get to see our new guys play for almost a year (unless we get some tidbits from whatever happens in the fall), but it’s nice to have something baseball related to dream on for a few days.

I really like the Walker pick. He seems well spoken, bright and a hard worker. The Cards clearly were impressed. Sure, 3B is a position that they have some good talent at already in Gorman, Montero and Nunez, but attrition and position changes have a way of working that out. It’s a good problem to have.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

As for where he slots in the top 50, my feeling would be that he’d be in the top 10 as most every top pick seems to have been. As for where, looking at the list:

1 Carlson
    2 Gorman
    3 Liberatore

I’m one of the few who placed Gorman above Carlson, but that’s a minor quibble. All these guys are very good, and no way Walker starts this high. He’d have to be a top 50 prospect.

4 Montero
    5 Knizner
    6 Herrera

These are also guys I have no problem being ahead of Walker. All are or could be borderline, if not clear top 100 guys. Montero has lost some luster due to his difficult injury in 2019, but is probably what we hope Walker is in a few years (power, bat control, acceptable defense at third). Knizner and Herrera would be reversed in my rankings but that’s just a minor quibble. Both probably could be starting big league catchers.

7 Thompson

Here’s where it gets interesting. I’d start to think about Walker here…3B who can play the hot corner while also hitting .270+ and with 30+ HR power are very useful. Thompson is a solid lefty prospect who should be a reliever at the very least, but could also start. He had some good K numbers in his debut. I’d put him just ahead of Walker.

8 Jake Woodford
    9 Angel Rondon
    10 Junior Fernandez
    11 Genesis Cabrera
    12 Jhon Torres
    13 Malcom Nunez

Lots of potential in this group, which is exciting. But I think due to expected position (Woodford is a back end starter at best, Fernandez and Cabrera probably relievers-although potentially good ones), youth (Torres and Nunez still being prospect babes with some questions after struggling in Peoria) or simply position, Rondon is the only one I might think about placing ahead of Walker in this group. As is, I think I’d personally rank them this way:

1 Carlson
    1A Gorman
    3 Liberatore
    4 Montero
    5 Herrera
    6 Knizner
    7 Thompson
    8 Walker
    9 Rondon
    10 Torres
    11 Cabrera
    12 Fernandez
    13 Nunez
    14 Woodford

14NyquisT
    Participant

Flores has a ton of guts. It was his “gotcha” moment. After months and months of waiting, speculating and mocks by fans and “experts”, I don’t remember Walker’s name coming up at all. Maybe because we already have some very good 3B prospects. Walker’s power was obviously a factor.

Most saw a college pitcher coming our way…. Flores goes with a high school 3B. Go figure.

And then there’s…..

it might cost the Cardinals more than the 3.1M to keep him from going to Duke. He was MLB’s 33 prospect but he was viewed as a tough sign because of academics.

14NyquisT
    Participant

I think that Cavalli would have been slotted at 5 or 6.

GameCard
    Participant

Free

Most saw a college pitcher coming our way…. Flores goes with a high school 3B. Go figure.

He went with a power bat…3B is a misnomer.

GameCard
    Participant

Free

I would rank the top 10 as:
    1. Carlson
    2. Liberatore
    3. Gorman
    4. Thompson
    5. Walker
    6. Knizner
    7. Herrera
    8. Torres
    9. Fernandez
    10. Woodford

bccran
    Participant

Carlson
    Gorman
    Montero
    Nunez
    Torres
    Fletcher
    Walker

Now that’s getting very exciting. Walker is a welcome addition to the organization (for a number of reasons).

LACardFan
    Participant

Free

What happens if they don’t sign Walker? Is it like past years where they will get a compensatory pick in 2021. However, I thought that rule had changed.

This might ease your concerns a little bit

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

bccran – Add Herrera to that list and we almost have our starting lineup for 2024.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

bccran – Add Herrera to that list and we almost have our starting lineup for 2024.

Hmm. I guess Dejong still at SS, perhaps. 2B might need to be filled in as well if Wong moves on.

CF-Fletcher
    RF-Carlson
    3B-Gorman
    1B-Walker
    LF-Torres
    DH-Montero, Nunez
    C-Herrera
    SS-Dejong
    2B-Wong??

1946worldserieschamps
    Participant

Free

When I first saw the pick seeing he was ranked in 30s and went 21 I thought discount signing bonus pick. Obviously wasn’t the case. I don’t mind Flores being aggressive I just feel would have preferred him going with someone with a higher floor. But I like Walkers upside so I don’t mind the pick. I wanted a bat with the 1st pick so I’m satisfied.

1946worldserieschamps
    Participant

Free

stlcard025 feel like Tommy Edman more likely to be in the lineup in 2024 then Montero/Nunez

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

stlcard025 feel like Tommy Edman more likely to be in the lineup in 2024 then Montero/Nunez

Oh man, I forgot about Edman, somehow. Perhaps he’s the 2B then in our all prospect team.

I do like the chances that one of Montero or Nunez become the good hitter they have the shot to be. The track record on Montero as the 19 year old 150 wRC+ MVP of the Midwest League is particularly hopeful. I think his bad 2020 was entirely due to the hand injury and that he’d have bounced back this year.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Congrats to Heston Kjerstad for being selected second overall. As a UA season ticket holder I am always glad to see a Razorback picked high. There will be a couple of others picked today in Casey Martin and Casey Opitz.

bccran
    Participant

Mudville – I did leave Herrera off the list. Sorry. Is it just me, or does that lineup have more potential pop than any lineup we’ve had for a long, long time. Perhaps since MV3?

bccran
    Participant

I’m rooting for Mizzou’s Ian
    Bedell to be drafted by the Cards.
    He’s very talented and it would make for a good story.

Viewing 25 posts - 626 through 650 (of 965 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.