2020 MLB Draft

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2020 MLB Draft

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 940 total)
  • Author
    BlackHillsCardBlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

The Cardinals will have the 21st and 38th overall picks in the 2020 Draft which is supposed to be relatively deep. They are also slated for the 58th overall pick but they could move up spots if teams ahead of them in the 2nd Round sign any of the free agents who received qualifying offers.

1st Round – 21st Overall
    Competitive Balance Round A – 38th Overall
    2nd Round – 58th Overall

https://www.mlb.com/draft/2020/order

Participant

Paid - Three Months

They should have 5 top 100 picks if Ozuna signs elsewhere (75-80) and the third rounder likely around 100. That’s a pretty good start.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

5 picks in the top 100 should go a long way toward restocking the farm, similar to the 2016 draft class.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Wednesday, June 10 through Friday, June 12.

BlackHillsCardBlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

That’s gonna be pretty cool. Its been talked about for a while now so its good they’re gonna make that happen…at least for a year anyway lol.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

GameCard asked:

Brian…when do you think MLB will make a decision on this?

Great question. We do know at least that the options are being discussed.

My guess is that they will decide once they have a good feel for when play will resume. If the delay goes on so long the short-season teams are affected, it would be a reason to not hold the draft at all. Why draft them if they have nowhere to play?

https://apnews.com/f2b92a64f9d1aaa9737ebafe36c53a10

Participant

Paid - Monthly

This has a lot of implications for college teams. Apparently the current players will get another year of eligibility combined with the incoming signees. That exceeds the roster limitations.

Participant

Paid - Annual

If this coming draft is skipped, that would make the 2021 draft much deeper since all the eligible players for the 2020 draft would be combined with the eligible players for the 2021 draft. That would seem to give an advantage to teams like the Cardinals that have extra picks early in the draft.

Participant

Paid - Monthly

That would profoundly impact colleges.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Somebody might come up with a creative idea on how to handle this year’s draft. But it seems to me that there will have to be a draft this year. Players from the Cardinals’ draft generally spend much of the first year laying back while getting initiated into professional ball, anyway. I’m not sure about this, but I’ve always thought that the trainers look over the new crop of players, then put them on a program for strengthening what needs to be strengthened for playing every day. Then the players work on that for the rest of that first year.

Participant

Paid - Monthly

IMO the draft has to go on as scheduled.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

mud said:

…Players from the Cardinals’ draft generally spend much of the first year laying back while getting initiated into professional ball, anyway…

Hitters, no. Some pitchers, yes, but others no.

This year, with no spring high school or college season to wear them out, all healthy pitchers should be able to pitch normally after ramping up.

Participant

Paid - Annual

I don’t see any reason not to have a draft. Now evaluating players with less information will be more difficult. But this might favor the Cardinals, as they seem to better than average in later rounds.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

As noted in the AP story, a motivation for MLB to not hold the draft is to save the teams money, an important consideration in a year when revenues will certainly be down.

A point to also keep in the back of our minds is next year’s plan to eliminate two levels and approximately 70 minor league player jobs. No 2020 draft could give MLB a head start on its reduction plans.

Last June, the top pool spend (for the first 10 rounds) was over $16 MM for Arizona. The total across the 30 teams was over $266 million dollars (plus rounds 11-40 expense). So in signing bonus savings alone, MLB could save well over a quarter of a billion dollars by killing the draft. That is going to get their attention.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Maybe they need to adjust the signing bonus schedule.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

So many moving parts here…if the NCAA grants another year of eligibility for spring sports, how many would want to take it and how will that affect scholarships and the like? If they do have a draft next year, how will the eligibility requirements go? Like Brian mentioned, if there is no draft this year, will there be extra money next year or will they just swallow that up? Finally, will the bonus picks just go away or will teams like the Cards get extra picks after both the first and second rounds next year? There’s so much to work out.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Participant

Free

Be just like tis commish to cancel the draft. Nuts

Participant

Paid - Annual

May 1st is the deadline for high schoolers to make non binding decisions about which college they choose to attend. If there is no draft, how do they handle scholarships? Although it makes sense, it is no slam dunk the NCAA will grant an extra year for all. And what about college seniors who can’t or do not want to play another collegiate year? I.E, no scholarship. Perhaps a reduced draft involving college seniors and redshirt juniors? Lots of questions…

Participant

Paid - Annual

I think the NCAA is going to grant an extra season for college seniors of spring sports (which baseball is) but I don’t know about undergrads. In a way I hope the MLB draft is cancelled because I would like to see some of my favorite college players get another year, which they would only stay in school if there is no draft.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Participant

Paid - Annual

That would be a drastic reduction in rounds. Interesting.

Participant

Paid - Monthly

It will drastically effect College rosters.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Sounds like it may be only 5 rounds this year and 20 rounds next year.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/28960271/sources-mlb-mlbpa-agree-deal-stoppage

Participant

Paid - Annual

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 940 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years